Uk-state Pension

hwest

Simple question really but i can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Does the Uk pay the same increase for a dependent wife on the state retirement pension, while living permanently in Thailand ,as would be the case if the couple where living in the UK.

Giving that the Thai wife hasn't Uk citizenship and has lived her whole life in los is there some exclusion here.We are only talking about maybe £50 a week but this goes a long way added up through the years.

Added to this is the wife entitled to a widows pension when the husband dies while living abroad.

There is little definite advice on this subject available.Anyone with any links to info,it would be appreciated.

Hwest

Have a look at http://www.direct.gov.uk/Over50s/fs/en

When I looked into my state pension I was told by themt hat no annual increase is paid if living abroad but if you return to UK your pension is brought up to date.

Not sure about wife though, I suspect as she has never lived in Uk then she will not be entitled to a pension in her own name but she may get a widows pension when you finally depart! I am interested in how you get on as I have a partner and not sure how they will stand when I go!

You and your wife are treated seperately in terms of determining entitlement to a UK state pension.

The entilement is based upon National Insurance Payments, the rules are pretty complex, but if your wife has never paid UK NI she is not entitled to a pension in her own right.

She would however, be entitled to a widow's pension when you die, but I believe there are age restrictions and also that pension would be fixed at the date your your death with no increases on account of your wife being overseas.

A point to note here.

A lot of Thais who move to the UK with their British Husbands take up work in Thai restaurants and very often forgoe paying NI Contributions, favouring the cash in hand. This is extremely short sighted as it denies them their right to a pensionin later years.

If your marriage is registered with the uk embassy :o you will get a full oap {providing you have paid your contributions for 45 years :D } and an allowance for your wife.

You can check your entitlement on line at.

http://thepensionservice.gov.uk/statepension/forecast/

Full OAP is about £93 per week and a spouses OAP is about £50

She will get credits on the back or your payments.

She will get a widows pension if she is over 45 years of age when you die. :D

Edited by edd

I actually checked up on this several weeks ago and I have copied the reply from the Pensions department below for anyones interest.

Their email address is below

Thank you for contacting the Centre for Non-Residents.

To reply to this e-mail from the Centre for Non-Residents, please e-mail us at: [email protected]

1) The current 100% state pension is £82.05 per week plus £49.15 for a dependant wife. This is if you have 44 qualifying years.

2) I can advise that Bereavement Benefit would be looked at by the International Pensions Service, when your wife submits a claim. You will appreciate that exact rates cannot be given until a claim is made. However, leaflet NP46 gives further information on this. It can be found on the following website:- www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits

3) No - your current wife can receive a pension based on your insurance as can can your first wife - as long as she does not re-marry before she is pension age.

CNR (Newcastle) have a UK Retirement Pension Forecast and advice service.

To advise you of your potential entitlement you need to complete the application form CA3638 which is available to download from our website at: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/osc.htm#6

Alternatively, please advise me if you would like a copy sent by air mail post.

If you have any further queries for the Centre for Non-Residents, please do not hesitate to contact us. Our office is open Monday - Friday, 7.30am until 5.00pm.

Yours sincerely

Miss Gillian Gordon

Centre for Non-Residents (Newcastle)

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/index.htm