Beer Republic, Flat Beer for a high price!

PostmanPat

I have now been to the beer republic, Nimmanhemin Soi 9, three times. On each occasion the novelty/ pleasure of being able to buy British and European beers on draft has been outweighed by the fact that in exchange for quite high prices, most of the beers I have had have been served in a poor condition, basically, flat, no life in them.

This applies both to the British Beers, my pint of Greene King was ......well, flat as a fart, and tonight with Belgian friends we tried their local favourite, Stella, again, flat and almost undrinkable.

Now, without being in any way disrespectful to the predominantly young Thai audience, perhaps their limited experience of anything outside Chang and Singha makes them think that European beers served "flat as a fart" are OK.

As of now, I m disappointed to say I wont be back....220 baht for a flat pint of Greene King is not good, nor is 160 baht for a half pint of flattish Stella. Sorry, Joon, (owner), get your act together.....unless of course youre in the comfort zone of ripping off young Thais with "trendy" beers served poorly but at high prices!!

put it on some ice. Smoke 4 packs of cigarettes; you won't notice. LOL. I've found this forum to be no help whatsoever, when it comes to good beer. You can get some good advice on diabetic supplies, and the foods that cause it. You're the farang; it's you're fault. Fresh stella drafts are a dollar at my local strip club in phoenix (happy hour). Girls are fat, tattooed pigs. though. Youy should have gone to Dayli.

• Like 1

Sad to hear, as every single beer or cider that I have ordered there has been fine.

No problem dropping the Baht on something light years above Chang/Leo/Singha

I am not too fond of the food though, I will be honest about that.

But a night out at Sumo or YNot and then for a few beers at Beer Republic have been some of my favorite nights out.

put it on some ice.

To me, ice in beer completely ruins it anyway. If one has to do it, might as well dilute cheap local brew instead of the imported stuff.

I was being sarcastic. I drank some May 8 large Tigers last night. 54 THB. Tesco on the North side of the moat. The other places were still selling April beer.

It's been a hot spring (damn near a heat wave a few times....and I'm from Phoenix) and the old beer didn't do well. That grotesque slime taste the next day is generally from drinking beer that wasn't properly cared for.

Agree with the OP.

Used to go there regularly. Last time (which will be the last time) we tried 4 different beers. Many were flat or "off" or mai mee.

If you store your kegs out in the open in this weather as they do there, there's not much hope for a good beer.

Since mentioning this it seems many regulars (farangs who know beer) have stopped going there.

When the owners/managers are also never there you know it's inevitably going to be in trouble

put it on some ice.

To me, ice in beer completely ruins it anyway. If one has to do it, might as well dilute cheap local brew instead of the imported stuff.

I was being sarcastic.

I got that. I just wanted an excuse to rant about putting ice in beer, because I don't understand how anyone who likes the taste of beer can do it. 4_3_4.gif

Ice improves some local beers - takes the edge off their "taste" whistling.gif

put it on some ice.

I was being sarcastic. I drank some May 8 large Tigers last night. 54 THB. Tesco on the North side of the moat. The other places were still selling April beer.

It's been a hot spring (dam_n near a heat wave a few times....and I'm from Phoenix) and the old beer didn't do well. That grotesque slime taste the next day is generally from drinking beer that wasn't properly cared for.

Not sure I understand your post. Is that large Tigers made on May 8 or you drank eight large bottles of Tiger? If the latter, I guess it explains both the bizarre wording and the slime taste.... wink.png

Never put ice into Lager its like serving the same lager in a glass with water residue, this will simply kill the head on it and in 30 seconds it will be flat.

I have run a bar for 10 years here in Scotland and I would never ever think of leaving kegs sitting out in the heat, as for doing that in Thailand, that is simply mad, the owner/manger needs to do something about that and quickly.

On the positive side I hope to be in Chiang Mai in the next 4 weeks looking for premises.

Watch this space !.

Never put ice into Lager its like serving the same lager in a glass with water residue, this will simply kill the head on it and in 30 seconds it will be flat.

I have run a bar for 10 years here in Scotland and I would never ever think of leaving kegs sitting out in the heat, as for doing that in Thailand, that is simply mad, the owner/manger needs to do something about that and quickly.

On the positive side I hope to be in Chiang Mai in the next 4 weeks looking for premises.

Watch this space !.

Loads of bars will still be for sale then. More than usual, anyway, because it will still be low season, which is year-round for some bars.

Watch this space !.

Old Belle will be free soon!

Lager head? For me ale has a head, lager does not (usually means its badly poured and yes, will be flat soon). Thais usually have a bottle and a small (soft drink) glass with the ice in - that way only a little lager is put in the glass at a time and drunk fairly quickly (like a proper martini, vermouth poured over the ice and then the ice removed) - this stop it getting watered down - Thai beer (lager) is fairly fizzy anyway.

That ATM booth that blocks most of the front of the building from the street makes it a lousy location, IMHO.

Agreed. Though signage could help I guess (visible signage).

That ATM booth that blocks most of the front of the building from the street makes it a lousy location, IMHO.

Agreed. Though signage could help I guess (visible signage).

I have seen plenty people make the same comment and have to agree. I have wandered down there to go to the Old Belle a few times and accidently walked past, Sorry to hear it is going as I enjoyed it. best of luck Pedr in whatever you do next.

Ive always liked my thai women how i like my beer----------Cold N Bitter!!! anyone?? rimshot jonny? try the veal--im here all week...zing!clap2.gif

So not Flat then biggrin.png

I prefer a full bodied ale. Can't say the same about my preferences for women laugh.png

Tis true. Stella is certainly not my favorite beer. I had to check it up and to quote the website beerinnovations.com, Stella Artois is by far the largest selling Belgian beer around the world, but it only holds an 8% share in the country.

I'd be very surprised if any Belgians favourite drink was Stella.

Hmm. This thread makes me miss a good ale. Is there any to be found in a store, perhaps?

Sick of thai lagers and lao dark

We've still got London Pride, London Porter and Wychwood Hobgoblin, but you'll have to hurry as we close on sunday!

If you want to drink these beers and many others at home you can go to Horeca off the super-highway at Don Chan. They've got 5 or 6 Wychwood Beers, several Greene King beers as well as Fullers, Pride, Porter and ESB.

• Like 1

Let's face it, they were setting themselves up for a fall having that many pumps in a country with a population that are not exactly renowned for their ability to maintain things.

If I was them, I would've gone for less pumps, more bottles, and tried to offer beers that aren't already available in CM (which to be fair they seem to be doing now, i.e. Wychwood, Rogue, Anderson Valley). Plus, I would get some decent awnings on the place as soon as possible - you'll know what I mean if you've ever been there when it's raining heavily.

Hmm. This thread makes me miss a good ale. Is there any to be found in a store, perhaps?

Sick of thai lagers and lao dark

We've still got London Pride, London Porter and Wychwood Hobgoblin, but you'll have to hurry as we close on sunday!

If you want to drink these beers and many others at home you can go to Horeca off the super-highway at Don Chan. They've got 5 or 6 Wychwood Beers, several Greene King beers as well as Fullers, Pride, Porter and ESB.

Pedr, what's the cost of a case of Wychwood beers? What's the minimum number of cases you have to buy? Cheers.