Tourist visa extension

"Normally, when a tourist arrives in BKK airport, the officer will stamp a stay for 2 months on his passport."

No they won't,they'll stamp you with a 30-day visa waiver unless you come from some specific countries like Chile and Panama who get 90 days visa waiver!

• Like 1

Make sure you get your Tourist Visa before you arrive. I just got a double entry Tourist Visa in Vientiane for 2000 baht. Yes, I first got a 30 day visa exempt on arrival in Bangkok. At then end of 30 days, I just crossed over into Vientiane and got my 2X Tourist Visa. Laos is only a short ride away from where I am staying. With the Tourist Visa (2X), I can extend 30 days at the end of the 1st 60 days...for a total of 90 days. Then cross any border and come back to do it all over. Total of 5800 baht for 180 days(2x entry plus 2 extensions). Alternatively I could forget the extensions and get another double entry visa. (4000 baht for 240 days....thats leaving the country after 60 days twice. Then applying for another 2x entry visa. But border fees make it almost the same price, I suppose. Next trip I will get the OA (retirement visa). I Leave ThailIand for 3 months each year....so it is really only a matter of convenience rather that cash. I understand a multiple exit retirement visa (if you add in the price of the Proof of Income statement from the US Embassy, will only save me perhaps 2000 baht a year. I enjoy my visa runs anyways, damn good way to get away from my gal for a few days.

Question - I have a triple entry visa.

So 9 months with extensions.

When those 9 months are over, what is the best way to continue my stay in Thailand? I planned on a year, 12 months, but maybe I would like to stay longer.

If I have used up my triple visa, can I go to another country and get another triple visa? Or a double? Or will I not be allowed?

But if I am, which is the best? I heard Malaysia was good.

Thanks.

When those 9 months are over, what is the best way to continue my stay in Thailand? I planned on a year, 12 months, but maybe I would like to stay longer.

If I have used up my triple visa, can I go to another country and get another triple visa? Or a double? Or will I not be allowed?

Thanks.

You can get a double no problem,I did the same as you and am now on my third double.I've heard that they don't like to give you more than 4 double entries in a row,I think it's best to intersperse them with visas from your country of origin.

As for where to go,as far as I know Vientiane is the fastest and easiest because of the relationship they enjoy with Thailand.

• Like 1

Thanks.

You can get a double no problem,I did the same as you and am now on my third double.I've heard that they don't like to give you more than 4 double entries in a row,I think it's best to intersperse them with visas from your country of origin.

As for where to go,as far as I know Vientiane is the fastest and easiest because of the relationship they enjoy with Thailand.

Cool - well I want to see that place and the country as a whole so a good excuse to have a 5 day holiday or something!

Thanks.

Cool - well I want to see that place and the country as a whole so a good excuse to have a 5 day holiday or something!

Vientiane is effortlessly cool and beautiful with incredible colourful Wats (Vats in Lao!) every 100 metres around the city and riverside.The Lonely Planet voted it the sleepiest capital city on earth,the locals are super friendly and you can literally wander down the riverside and just sit down and have a Beer Lao with the locals,in fact I recommend you do!biggrin.png

Hotels are a bit more expensive than most of Thailand,if you want a recommendation I've just spent 5 night at the Inter City Hotel which is right on the riverside and a very cool and eclectic hotel.The reception and surrounding areas are full of the coolest Buddhist and Lao objets d'art you've ever seen,I guarantee you'll love it and after many trips to Laos it is my confirmed favourite by some way.I've even stayed at the better (read more expensive) hotels there like Best Western which doesn't really even compare!

http://www.agoda.com/asia/laos/vientiane/inter_city_boutique_hotel/reviews.html?cid=-211&urltogo=/asia/laos/vientiane/inter_city_boutique_hotel/reviews.html&cklg=1

I'm always a little sad whenever I have to leave Vientiane and head back across the border,truth be known!sad.png

Cool, good tips.

I had a guy raving to me about Beer Lao - I tried one here... it's OK! I prefer the light one.

I'd like to see Luang Prabang too.

I think for 5 days I'd be happy to slum it in some traveller hostel - a room, not a dorm but could be fun! Always a good way to meet others for a drink and a chat.

I agree re Luang Prabang, some few days ago there was a forum from aTV memmber who did a slow boat to LP. The photos were great and LP looks like quite a change to what we see here. I thinks its the French history that is attached to the place....amazing buildings, apparently the people there are super friendly too.

But as he said dont expect too much nightlife after 10pm, the town shuts down!

Enjoy your trip