TAT launches new campaign to boost bike tourism in Thailand

webfact

A lot of cynicism here, I've been riding my bike all over Thailand and it's neighboring countries for almost a decade now and have never had a problem. I've treated with more respect from car drivers while on my bicycle than I am while on my motorcycle.

Sounds like some members should give it a try before denouncing what you don't know about.

too hot, count me out.

what they should be doing is promoting motorcycle tourism. Northern Thailand has some of the best touring routes in the world.

That was their first option but when it was pointed out what are they going to do with even more dead body's and bad publicity pedal power seemed a better.

It has been rumoured that to set an example PM Yingluck and her cabinet will cycle from Parliament to Pheu Thai HQ and back at least once. A repeat is possible if the photo-op doesn't give the right result.

• Like 1

When you and your pedal pals are riding along 5 abreast, there are 2 trucks overtaking each other coming up behind, plus some hoon on his Sonic overtaking the buses in the bike lane, and in front is the local village idiot in a pick-up driving up the wrong side of the road, do you reconsider the health benefits of biking?

7 years here and I have yet to see that kind of a set up.

From now on ,while driving my car I shall be watchful for groups of High end Chinese tourists on BIKES.- Should be able to hear 50 from afar, all with coloured towells from their hotels---thats how to spot them for sure,

Such BS among the replies, mainly from people who have not ever put foot to pedal in Thailand, no doubt. I've been bicycling in Bangkok, Hua Hin and Pattaya for over four years - night and day and in all weather and in all sorts of traffic situations - both high-speed (Rachada Phisek @ 4AM) and grid-locked (very common and good for me, heh, heh). In grid-lock, I can go places even the vaunted motorbikes won't go.

I once lifted my bicycle high in the air and waded though a pack of motorbikes that were clustered and blocking a left-turn lane I wanted to use. Try that with a motorbike! Alas, the motorbikes beat me in top speed ... but that is also what kills or severely injures a lot of them.

Thailand would be a lot better off if people would leave their cars and motorbikes parked and use a bicycle instead for their (in many cases) frivolous trips, IMHO.

Unfortunately, many people (both Thai and farang) are too lazy or status-concious or would be just plain dangerous to themselves and others on a bicycle in a traffic (or maybe even sidewalk) situations.

The tragic case of the two UK tour bicyclists who were killed had placed themselves into a high-risk situation by being in close proximity to high-speed, MV traffic for long periods of time. I try to avoid that type of bicycling as much possible and would never attempt that type of touring because of both the physical demands and the degree of risk.

Attached pics I recently took from my bicycle to dispel some myths about bicycling in Bangkok - such as they are all (or mostly) rich, lycra-wearing with expensive bikes. Actually the lycra-wearing, styrofoam racing helmet types are in the minority out there by my four years of observation in, mostly, Bangkok:

1) Woman and child commuting

2) Man and child commuting

3) Parked bikes of BTS commuters at Punnawithi BTS station.

Bicycle safely in Thailand if you have the temerity (that would be 'balls' to you macho males) or sobriety to bicycle at all.

post-120659-0-59281800-1371782647_thumb.post-120659-0-44447900-1371782661_thumb.post-120659-0-58625700-1371782678_thumb.

Edited by MaxYakov

i can appreciate the benefits of riding a bicycle and wouldn't care if proper facilities on the road were made available to cyclists although their effectiveness and other road users giving them the urmost respect, I have my doubts about. What bugs me is the dreamers who have to wear garish lycra outfits covered with advertisments, wear something between half an avocado pear and a hairnet on their heads, ride sports bikes with ultra thin wheels so that friction between tyre and road is at a minimum, and have a choice between several gears when 3 should be more than enough. I can undertand car racing in all its forms, although the Scalectrix for adults so popular in the US (NASCAR?) does nothing for me. Motorcycle racing makes sense, particularly the IOM races. but road racing on a bike? That some try to emulate the road racers in gear that to my jaded eyes looks ridiculous on the busy roads of Thailand has me shaking my head.

As a young lad, my pals and I would tuck our trousers into out socks (bicycle clips were for wimps) and push off for the day to Brighton, some 50 miles away. No dressing up trying to emulate heroes who, more often than not, dosed up on drugs, No filling of water bottles with instant energy drinks, just kids having fun, and having the freedom to do so, getting all the exercise that they needed without any of the BS. Still. TIT, face is the way to go..

very fair point,but alas you were in england then,and when you were a lad there were probably only 300 cars to pass you in an entire day,,oh those were the days eh,,,,,jumpers for goalposts,,,hahahahaha,,

A lot of cynicism here, I've been riding my bike all over Thailand and it's neighboring countries for almost a decade now and have never had a problem. I've treated with more respect from car drivers while on my bicycle than I am while on my motorcycle.

Sounds like some members should give it a try before denouncing what you don't know about.

I enthusiastically concur (aka A+1), although, thankfully, I don't have the motorbike experience and will never have it. By watching what motorbikers do out there, I can understand why they may not get much respect. Their, for the most part, unwillingness to wear helmets indicates that they, largely, don't even respect themselves.

Edited by MaxYakov

From now on ,while driving my car I shall be watchful for groups of High end Chinese tourists on BIKES.- Should be able to hear 50 from afar, all with coloured towells from their hotels---thats how to spot them for sure,

High end? Watch for limos or SUV-based taxis, instead.

When you and your pedal pals are riding along 5 abreast, there are 2 trucks overtaking each other coming up behind, plus some hoon on his Sonic overtaking the buses in the bike lane, and in front is the local village idiot in a pick-up driving up the wrong side of the road, do you reconsider the health benefits of biking?

7 years here and I have yet to see that kind of a set up.

You should get out more then, I suggest.