Authentic Hill Tribe Jewellery in Bangkok ?

Malthus101

Well, this is proving to be difficult - another one of those hard to find but should be easy products in Bangkok!

For anyone looking for jewellery, the main jewellery strip in Bangkok is Charoen Krung Road, down by the river. Literally every single shop down there is a jewellery seller of one kind or another.

I didn't go into many, just looked in the windows - couldn't see Hill Tribe stuff but I wasn't looking in every one.

I think Chatuchak market is going to be the next place I look. A friend (girl) bought some very beautiful silver earrings from there, from a place called Silver Sand - shop 1 - MRT - Kamphaengphet.

They were not "Hill Tribe" but they were very tasteful indeed!

I have found a Thai supplier who sells modernized Hill Tribe silver jewellery - it is great looking stuff but thy are only based in Chiang Mai. I have emailed thm to see if they have an outlet in BKK. If not, they could surely post items to BKK (unless they are only a wholesaler of course)

They are called Achara Silver:

http://www.acharasilver.com/home.php

I shall keep you posted.

I am saddened by posts like this. This is another form of plundering another country of their heritage. These items must remain in the country of origin and not expropriated to another country.

Don't be an idiot - it's probably the only way these people will keep their children in their tribes, by giving them employment. Otherwise, those kids are putting on Levi's and t-shirts and heading to Bangkok.

They make this jewellery, do you understand? They aren't precious artifacts that the villagers have cherished for thousands of years- they buy silver ingots, they hammer them flat, they make jewellery and sell it.

A quote from buyers at the villages:

We had prepared our initial bead order (silver) and presented it to the broker. Later, she came to us in tears. "You have no idea," she said, "of all the good you have done for these people."

With Num translating, she explained that the elders of the villages feared that they were losing their tribal cultures. There was not enough work in the villages to keep the young people from drifting into the towns, looking for city-work. With this order they could train many of them in their silversmithing traditions. With a steady flow of work, they hope to reverse the city trend and continue their tribal culture.

Chris promised, ''We'll do our very best!" She then gave me a big hug and said, ''You know? This it what we do; this is what it's all about!" I said, "Yep!''

That should warm your NGO ignorant heart!

I just call a spade a spade. You are nothing but a plunderer of culture and heritage. If you want to help these poor people - do it without ripping off their hearts. But you are too lazy for that so why should I even bother you to try it.

I just call a spade a spade. You are nothing but a plunderer of culture and heritage. If you want to help these poor people - do it without ripping off their hearts. But you are too lazy for that so why should I even bother you to try it.

I don't care about these people, I just want their silver.... vampire.gif

Of course, if you can think of a better way to help these hill tribes keep their culture going, I would be most curious to hear it. I can't think of a better way than paying them for their wears which they have been perfecting for ages.

What do you think is a better idea?

Are you all of a sudden having a change of heart? Didn't you say you did not care about these people and only wanted their silver?

I don't care about these people, I just want their silver.... vampire.gif

No, I think it's the best way - I just want you to give us an even better solution, coz the ways things are now, their children are leaving in droves. You know why? They have heard about the internet. And iPhones. And the fun life of Bangkok and the pottential riches it holds.

Given that option, or slowly going out of their mind with boredom in their hill tribes, it's pretty obvious which one they are choosing.

So, you say we shouldn't give them employment by buying their silver crafts (or presumably any of their wares)

So I'd like to hear you proposition?

(A reminder quote from one of the villagers themseleves:)

"With Num translating, she explained that the elders of the villages feared that they were losing their tribal cultures. There was not enough work in the villages to keep the young people from drifting into the towns, looking for city-work. With this order they could train many of them in their silversmithing traditions. With a steady flow of work, they hope to reverse the city trend and continue their tribal culture."

Or don't you have one? Maybe you're just one of those people who likes to preach but actually has no real idea of what they are talking about.

I'm just giving you an opportunity to prove us all wrong.

Please! Go ahead!

You have not demonstrated any compassion for them - so why should I help you? I would rather help them directly but not in the way that you are doing. I think the preaching part has been coming mostly from your side - NOT mine.

And how would you help them directly? This is what I would like to know. Please, inform the other readers so that they too might follow your ideas to help these people survive.

You want others to help too, right? The more helping, the better surely? Just say how.

Go ahead.

Thanks.