CM immigration visa abuse hot line/web site?

highonthai

Was talking with someone the other day and they mentioned to me that CM immigration was going to start or already have a Facebook/web page in the works, in conjunction with a telephone hot line for reporting visa abuse, Illegal working,overstay,fraud,etc.

Any truth to this? Could just well open a whole can of worms...

I've seen before that what constitutes illegal working can bring out a lively debate here, with some daft suggestions like taking care of your own garden being illegal.

If this rumour is true I can see the possibility of personal and business conflicts being sorted out there and it being a busy hotline. There do seem to be alternatives for getting one year visas even without money in the bank, so maybe that loophole will be closed. It would be a pity for those guys that come unstuck and don't have a plan B.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I wonder whether visa abuse is why you now need to show a transaction in your bank book on the day of your visa application? How is it possible to get 1 year visa without a bank deposit? I've seen ads to that effect. Are they legit?

You need to have your passbook updated if using the lump sum for extension requirements. It must show that the required amount has been in there 3 months or 2 months for new applications. This is usually done the day before (in my case), but others have said a weeks grace is allowed. I err on the side of caution when it comes to immigration.

• Like 1

I wonder whether visa abuse is why you now need to show a transaction in your bank book on the day of your visa application? How is it possible to get 1 year visa without a bank deposit? I've seen ads to that effect. Are they legit?

You need to have your passbook updated if using the lump sum for extension requirements. It must show that the required amount has been in there 3 months or 2 months for new applications. This is usually done the day before (in my case), but others have said a weeks grace is allowed. I err on the side of caution when it comes to immigration.

If the balance on the letter was the same as the balance in the book and maybe you hadn't made any transactions for a few months, that was okay before. Now they want to see a transaction in the book from within the last few days - a new requirement, it seems. Where bank managers in on a fiddle, Heaven forbid?

If the balance on the letter was the same as the balance in the book and maybe you hadn't made any transactions for a few months, that was okay before. Now they want to see a transaction in the book from within the last few days - a new requirement, it seems. Where bank managers in on a fiddle, Heaven forbid?

As far as I'm aware they always wanted to see an updated copy of your passbook. It's not a transaction they want to see it's an 'up dated' passbook during the last few days. They are not going to take your word that the balance is correct and anyway the bank can only issue the letter if the passbook is updated, they have to match at the time of writing the letter.....or am I missing something?

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

I've seen before that what constitutes illegal working can bring out a lively debate here, with some daft suggestions like taking care of your own garden being illegal.

If this rumour is true I can see the possibility of personal and business conflicts being sorted out there and it being a busy hotline. There do seem to be alternatives for getting one year visas even without money in the bank, so maybe that loophole will be closed. It would be a pity for those guys that come unstuck and don't have a plan B.

in theory Immigration could prioritize what they want to enforce.

Hopefully they would go after someone for example who is running a large real estate company in their wife's name and on a retirement visa and have a lower priority for someone growing tomatoes in their backyard.

There is going to be more money going after the big fish anyway.

I have an account that I don't use much that has my immig. money in. If I had the same balance from, lets say 4 months ago, as was shown in the letter from the bank issued maybe 2 days before my immig. visit, that used to be okay. Since there had not been any transactions for 4 months, updating wouldn't show anything. So now you have to make a transaction at the same time as the letter from the bank to show that the money is still there. As I said, a 'friendly' bank manager may have been in on the act for those that don't have enough money.

As far as I'm aware they always wanted to see an updated copy of your passbook. It's not a transaction they want to see it's an 'up dated' passbook during the last few days. They are not going to take your word that the balance is correct and anyway the bank can only issue the letter if the passbook is updated, they have to match at the time of writing the letter.....or am I missing something?

Yes they require up to date bank passbook, plus copies of the pages, I went once with the book updated 3 days before and they sent me back to the bank to get it updated, so now try to get it done same day or day before, be prepared get everything in order,saves time and no problems.

Regards Worgeordie

Instead of having a Facebook page to report Visa abuse, they should have one

where people could advise or report on how things could be better at Immigration

I have no problem at all with the officers every time I go they treat me with mutual

respect,doing a very difficult job in s#$t conditions.

When you go to Immigration you pass several Government departments that are

much larger and nothing seems to happen in them !, big Government place over

the road,looks empty,the logical thing to do would be to make a swap with one of

these much larger places,but which department would want to give up its larger

area for a smaller one,that would be loss of face,and never happen,you would

think that a department thats a good earner would have precedent over a department that most likely

looses money. If only common sense would prevail......

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

OP,

Yes, there are legitimate options involving pensions and deposits. Check the ThaiVisa thread devoted to visas. A fellow named Mario## (Can'r recall the full handle) is one who tries hard to be helpful and also dispel rumors.

I have never heard of a bank manager being in on some kind of con, but many are well aware of scamming foreigners.

I have an account that I don't use much that has my immig. money in. If I had the same balance from, lets say 4 months ago, as was shown in the letter from the bank issued maybe 2 days before my immig. visit, that used to be okay. Since there had not been any transactions for 4 months, updating wouldn't show anything. So now you have to make a transaction at the same time as the letter from the bank to show that the money is still there. As I said, a 'friendly' bank manager may have been in on the act for those that don't have enough money.

Updating would show everything!

It would show that the letter and the details in the bank book coincide and an updated passbook would show the amount you have in at todays date and immigration can see from the copy of the books pages, whether the amount has been in the account for the required period of time, i.e. 3 or 2 months.

The bank won't issue a letter saying you have xxx balance without updating the book, so I'm really not sure what you are saying?

I think the 'friendly bank manager' comment is out of place.

• Like 1

OP,

Yes, there are legitimate options involving pensions and deposits. Check the ThaiVisa thread devoted to visas. A fellow named Mario## (Can'r recall the full handle) is one who tries hard to be helpful and also dispel rumors.

I have never heard of a bank manager being in on some kind of con, but many are well aware of scamming foreigners.

Perhaps I should have said "aware of foreigners who scam Immigration." Banks are more careful!

Show guaranteed income of 65.000 baht a month for single person. Less if married.. Have it verified by your Embassy or consulate. Piece of cake.

• Like 1

Show guaranteed income of 65.000 baht a month for single person. Less if married.. Have it verified by your Embassy or consulate. Piece of cake.

I suppose the point some will make, is that there are people swearing and getting the required paper or whatever, without actually providing evidence. I think it happens at the US Consulate, but don't know about the others. IMO the onus is on immigration to find out if the affidavit is correct by asking to see proof of income at renewal time. I don't think there should be a 'snitch line'.

Edited by uptheos

Will the face book be in English or Thai and how much information will be lost in translation. Because ultimately it is going to be a Thai making the decision on to change or not to change that is the question.

Suppose I knew Joe Blow has no money and he borrowed it just for the visa and immediately removed it. How would they be able to check on that go to his bank put his name on a list for all the officers to check before extending the visa. How would they prove it.

Will the face book be in English or Thai and how much information will be lost in translation. Because ultimately it is going to be a Thai making the decision on to change or not to change that is the question.

Suppose I knew Joe Blow has no money and he borrowed it just for the visa and immediately removed it. How would they be able to check on that go to his bank put his name on a list for all the officers to check before extending the visa. How would they prove it.

Obviously there's a 'fairness' issue, but the thought of ever snitching on someone to immigration. bah.gif

• Like 1

I suppose the point some will make, is that there are people swearing and getting the required paper or whatever, without actually providing evidence. I think it happens at the US Consulate, but don't know about the others. IMO the onus is on immigration to find out if the affidavit is correct by asking to see proof of income at renewal time. I don't think there should be a 'snitch line'.

Good idea make it more time consuming at extension time. My income is from two different countries and four different sources. You want to complicate it more by having them familiar with the exchange rate on two different countries maybe some more and add it all up. That would really make a slow situation slower.

I have no problem with a snitch line as I am relatively sure nothing will come of it.

Who ever said there is cheaters at the US consulate was dead on. They have never asked me for proof of income just how much and raise my hand and swear. All though I do have the papers with me also when I go into immigration I take them with me.

Instead of Facebook, they should video the snitch, in front of the person they are dobbing in.

Its bad enough Thailand gives westerners the finger when it comes to rights... now they want to use even slimier tactics and rely on snitches.

Thailand, wake up and get you head out of your arse!

Updating would show everything!

It would show that the letter and the details in the bank book coincide and an updated passbook would show the amount you have in at todays date and immigration can see from the copy of the books pages, whether the amount has been in the account for the required period of time, i.e. 3 or 2 months.

The bank won't issue a letter saying you have xxx balance without updating the book, so I'm really not sure what you are saying?

I think the 'friendly bank manager' comment is out of place.

When I request a letter from my bank manager, he automatically updates the bank book and bases his letter on that amount. It's quite possible the new entry will have the same balance as the previous last entry. The machine that does the updating ( at least at Bangkok Bank) will show the current balance with the current date even if there have been no additional transactions since the last update.

And the reason the 3 month seasoning was introduced was because some people were shifting money about between friends in order to make their bank balances sufficient for Immigrations requirements and some geniuses were bragging about how to circumvent the requirements on websites such as TV.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Instead of having a Facebook page to report Visa abuse, they should have one

where people could advise or report on how things could be better at Immigration

I have no problem at all with the officers every time I go they treat me with mutual

respect,doing a very difficult job in s#$t conditions.

When you go to Immigration you pass several Government departments that are

much larger and nothing seems to happen in them !, big Government place over

the road,looks empty,the logical thing to do would be to make a swap with one of

these much larger places,but which department would want to give up its larger

area for a smaller one,that would be loss of face,and never happen,you would

think that a department thats a good earner would have precedent over a department that most likely

looses money. If only common sense would prevail......

regards Worgeordie

Common sense in Thailand???????

Instead of Facebook, they should video the snitch, in front of the person they are dobbing in.

Its bad enough Thailand gives westerners the finger when it comes to rights... now they want to use even slimier tactics and rely on snitches.

Thailand, wake up and get you head out of your arse!

In the US the Internal Revenue Service gives rewards to snitches and I expect something similar exists in many other countries and of course quite often there are very handsome rewards for anyone providing evidence that leads to successful prosecution of criminals. Not saying it's going to make you popular, but once again it's something that happens world-wide, not solely in Thailand. I guess that means it's someone other than Thailand with the head-up-the-back-passage problem.

And the idea of soliciting snitches isn't exactly new:

post-145917-0-87549800-1371814234_thumb.

1st - I have to agree with this one. I did 3 Marriage Visa renewals, which were all a pain in the backside from all the "required" paperwork b.s., then changed over to Retirement, which is So Much easier. But, in none of those cases was I asked to show bank book deposits, even though I did take them with me. The only thing I've ever been asked to provide is the "Income Verification" from the U.S. Consulate, who has never once asked me to actually verify my income.

2nd - My experiences with the officials who work there, with the minor exception of one woman during my first Marriage Visa renewal, have always been positive. I usually have the same man for my 90 day extensions, and he told me once: "If everyone do like you, my job be much easier." He was referring to the fact that I have downloaded all necessary forms from their website in PDF format, so the only thing I have to change each time is the date. And I make my own copies of needed passport pages at home before going.

One day I arrived at 12:30. Everyone was on lunch break. I was standing outside having a smoke. He sees me and says: "90 day?" I smile and tell him. "Yes. 1:00". He laughs and tells me to come on. He goes in, does my 90 day on his lunch break. Then immediately gets up and goes back outside.

3rd - For people who complain about CM Imm, my suggestion to them is to think about how THEY would feel if they were working in an office where in about 3 years the amount of people you had to deal with doubled or even tripled, as is the case here, with many of those people being rude, obnoxious and impatient?

In some ways, I actually feel sorry for them. I know for a fact that about 2 years ago they formally requested a larger office and more staff from BKK. They were promised 14 new staff, but they have yet to receive them, and even if they did, where would they put them in an office that is already packed to capacity?

• Like 1

As Just1voice says above,

How you do your homework, come prepared and behave appropriately matters a lot. I have had the same general experience with Immigration although not specifically with the situation he has written about, but my experiences over the years have been good, even pleasant. Except for the hot pushy crowd of so many --- not all --- demanding and noisy foreigners

Should we be surprised at Just1voice's story? I don't think so.

• Like 1