Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Police: online clip of attack on Russian tarnishes Phuket's image

webfact

Is 'causing a Thai national to lose face' a criminal charge now?

Causing Thai nationals to lose face is a criminal charge. It's called "damaging the image of Thailand." just as the police stated in the article.

No, it's not a criminal offense, where did you get that idea from?

I would love to see the meeting of ambassadors discuss the police chief's ridiculous stance on this - negating assault with a deadly weapon (even if it was a fake as the victim didn't know this)

Yes, it is an offense taken very seriously by Thais and the legal system here. It relates to the Kingdom and anything causing the ruler to lose face.

This is one law you don't want to challenge.

Not "don't" more like "can't"

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's see him try doing that without the gun in his hand, jumped up little fecker.

If the Thai was built like Mike Tyson, the Russian wouldn't have went anywhere near his wife. The Thai was just equalising the size difference. Fair play to him I say.

Shame we don't have an "idiot" button isn't it!

I agree.

Just another farang Thai apologist trying to prove he's more in touch with his "Thainess" than other posters.

I am not the slightest bit Thai.

If the scenario was reversed and a Farang man had given a Thai man a few slaps for shagging his wife, then the Thai Visa brigade would be hailing the Farang as a hero. You're just guilty of the opposite of what you are accusing me of.

Let's see him try doing that without the gun in his hand, jumped up little fecker.

If the Thai was built like Mike Tyson, the Russian wouldn't have went anywhere near his wife. The Thai was just equalising the size difference. Fair play to him I say.

Interfere with a mans family, expect what you get and you deserve what you get.

Or maybe a "you just don't get it" button would be better?

I agree.

Just another farang Thai apologist trying to prove he's more in touch with his "Thainess" than other posters.

As already stated 'the' Thais are just as appalled as we are. but what can 'THEY' do?

I agree.

As already stated 'the' Thais are just as appalled as we are. but what can 'THEY' do?

Vote using brain not wallet would help!

I agree.

Where was this stated by "The Thais"

Credo

Thai married women have no qualms about going with a foreigner and often their Thai husband is complicit in their doing so .

It is all about money , perhaps bt10,000 or some gold jewellery , always proves very useful . I find that even among the most upright of women such an excusion is not seen as prostitution .

The young Russian was very cool not to react at all , which also seemed to annoy the Thai man . I suspect that the Russian was a bigger and maybe stronger man , but taking action against the Thai man could have got him shot , or escalated the fight where the Thai was severely injured , getting the Russian into trouble .

It is not clear which has the worse reputation for thuggery , Phuket or Pattaya .

Phuket.

A good question is "What if the Russian boy had a real gun"? He knew the Thai man was going to come back and that is why he recorded it. Hmmmmmm, Is all really fair in love and war?

• Like 1

Causing Thai nationals to lose face is a criminal charge. It's called "damaging the image of Thailand." just as the police stated in the article.

When you here police making comments like these, it's a good reminder of protections we live under in most western countries when compared to many developing counties.

Is pointing a fake piece at someone against the law here?

Yes, if your intent is to make the person you are pointing it at think it is real. Same as in most countries.

Not sure I agree, I know of one case where the police would not follow up on a case of threatening behaviour with a sword as it was only a threat, only if there had been an attack and harm would a crime have been committed...

Sword not same same gun. The laws I am referring to specifically refer to guns which is what Ivan was referring to.

Edited by NomadJoe

I "got that idea" from the Cybercrime Act of 2007:

"Thailand gets new cyber crime law

The chief immediate effect of the new bill will be to outlaw any attempt to get around government censors to access any of the tens of thousands of sites censored for moral or political purposes, or "to damage the country". Penalties apply to all illegal acts using the internet, including those carried out abroad and deemed to "damage the country both directly and indirectly".

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/120051-thailand-gets-new-cyber-crime-law/

The chief immediate effect of the new bill will be to outlaw any attempt to get around government censors to access any of the tens of thousands of sites censored for moral or political purposes, or "to damage the country". Penalties apply to all illegal acts using the internet, including those carried out abroad and deemed to "damage the country both directly and indirectly".

So people here posting links to an "offensive video", and perhaps even TV itself would fall foul of that?

That would have to be the broadest definition of a law I have ever seen. Did the guy post it outside of Thailand?

Oh no - the big bad thai police is going to go after Australian news channels now!!!!

Edited by Sing_Sling

Your 'idea' was that causing a Thai to lose face is against the law . . . and that is simply ridiculous.

He could be charged with defamation.

I just finally got around to watching the video. Going to do a little keyboard CSI.

I am not convinced that was a fake gun. It looks like a Smith and Wesson 5906 or similar just like the one I used to carry everyday. Gun owners out there can back me up on this. When you press the front of the slide against an object, it causes the slide to move back slightly. Then when you release it, a spring inside moves the slide back into place. If you listen carefully at time index 1:25 you will hear this. Gun users know this sound well. Sounds a bit like a stapler. If it's a replica, it's a very realistic one.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 2

So people here posting links to an "offensive video", and perhaps even TV itself would fall foul of that?

No I believe it can only be applied to the original "leaker" of the video. You can still, mostly, report the news in Thailand.

A serious note to the "It is a hoax" brigade : Re-read the official news again, please. The Thai offender has already confessed and even offered the Russian victim 10,000 THB, which he refused. The Thai offender is awaiting court trial ! So plese explain how then it can be a hoax. Some people NEVER get smart?

The next member of the "It is all a hoax" brigade who post another silly comment, will be tared, feathered, handed over to Immigration and will been extradicted from this country !

The international media would also have confirmed that it was not a hoax before they ran with the story.

If you (knowingly) mess with a married woman you deserve to get hurt in my opinion.

I believe that's also the opinion of the police, so why would they take action against a Thai man if was really the victim in the broader story.

People step out of line and get slapped every day, it's only that fact that this is on video that makes it different.

It is the role of police to take a report, gather evidence and present it to the prosecutor. It is not their role to decide the merits of a case if someone wishes to press charges. The prosecutor is the lawyer employed by the state to decide on the merits of a case and whether to present it to the court, the court is there to uphold Thailand's laws, not some <deleted> of a policeman who is highly likely to be a racist jerk to boot. Unfortunately the police are now so powerful and corrupt that they can do what they like. They are certainly not in the business of upholding law and order save where they make money.

And that is the reason we see morons like the Thai guy threatening with a gun and assaulting people and why if you go to police without the press (or other evidence you can release to the press) behind you, that most times you will be fobbed off, if that doesn't work you will be threatened and blackmailed to pay the police or maybe even be refused being allowed to make a report.

And that is what the spineless diplomats either do not know or more likely do not want to talk about because that sort of police behaviour does tarnish the image of Phuket, the Thai justice system and defeats the rule of law which you need for business to flourish. But talking about it is not the problem, doing nothing about it and worse blaming the victims IS the problem. It is time envoy's in a position of some influence got up of their behinds and started speaking out. If the Thais don't want to act then act for them with machinations at the highest levels, it would be doing Phuket a huge favour!

Everyone is into this disgrace together. I can understand consuls with businesses in the tourism industry not wanting to damage the goose laying their golden eggs, heck one of the consuls even owns and runs a development company and estate of houses, so one could see why they would not want to rock the boat on the tourism industry for any reason. Meanwhile people are getting hurt, killed and scammed and no one wants to say a word.

It disgusts me. Hooray for the Chinese Ambassador. As for the policeman making this statement - he is severely misguided and some one ought to straighten him out.

You beat me to it. It's not up to the police to decide which cases they peruse. Their job is to uphold and enforce the law not to apply it as they see fit.

"I mean, anywhere else in this world of our's he'd been shot DEAD for what he has done. Not so?"

What part of the world are you living in? I think that only a minority would support that type of justice. Add to this that the woman told him that her husband was her brother. The reaction of the husband was way over the top and not excusable in any country. The rest of your post beggars belief.

• Like 1

I think the scams, tuk tuks, corruption etc does more damage to Phukets image than exposing a crime against someone.

No money to be made out of this pesky farang so it's his fault.

And the single, beer-swilling, girl chasing, farang guys who flock to these places (notably Phuket and Pattaya) don't exactly help give them a great reputation amongst anybody but like-seeking farang guys, either!! All becomes a vicious circle, really, Thais not trusting or liking the farangs so are quite happy to rip them off when they can.. and too many farangs distrusting anybody Thai they come into contact with.. no respect all round!!! A lovely state of affairs...

• Like 1