Linux Usage

Phil Conners

Phil Conners informal Linux usage poll  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I find there's a big difference if you're a Linux desktop user, perhaps mostly depending on the GUI (Graphical User Interface), or you're a server user, perhaps professionally for Internet servers or something, relying on the command line interface (CLI) only?

How do you use Linux?

I have almost everything running on Linux.

On servers everything is CLI

On laptop mixed usage. Moving, opening files etc I often do from CLI, which is much faster than using GUI and mouse.

I normally do simple scripts which help to automate everyday life. For example when I import pictures from the camera / memory card (with GUI), the images are automatically backed up to NAS every few hours using crontab.

Dual boot Ubuntu 13.04/Mint 15 cinnamon - laptop

Dual boot Ubuntu 12.10/ Mint 15 mate- desktop

Ubuntu 12.04- laptop

Lubuntu 13.04- desktop ( old, old HP P4.. probably going to switch to Puppy on this one )

Getting ready to put Ubuntu 12.10 on another older desktop which currently is running XP

Hi,

Interesting to read about Linux in Thailand. Always good posts and interesting discussions.

Am I right when I say that this community consists mostly of computer professionals?

Hey where are the Linux users??

Are there any in Thailand? Are there any in Phuket?

E.g. at the computer stores Linux is something unknown and the vendors react strange if you tell them that you are working with Linux only. (like shocked, want to run away)

As a Linux user I feel pretty “alone” I try to change that.

Desktop/Server Ubuntu 11.10

Acer 4820TG Dual bood Ubuntu 12.04 - Windows 7

We have linux users in Thailand.. and in Phuket as well.

I don't normally recommend linux to friends, unless I know they are self sufficient of finding solutions to the problems. The reason is that I'm lazy and do not wish to give free support for the rest of my days :)

Linux support is rare and it costs way more than the other OS handymen charge.

I use the Linux card rarely when doing shopping. Most, well almost all of the shops don't have Linux knowledge so even to ask if some device would work with Linux.. the information have to be fetched from the Internet, or just give it a try.

Sometimes I use the Linux card as speedway to get connection to higher level of support, who have generally better knowledge computers, hardware and network in general.

For example:

Customer service: Please start your Internet Explorer

Me: I don't have that, I'm using Linux.. this follows with some amount of IT jargon..

Customer service: Please hold

Customer service2: This is 2nd level support, how can I help you?

voted both, here's what I run so far:

- 1 router/firewall box

- 1 HTPC/torrent/fileserver box

- 1 laptop

What are you using for the router/firewall?

I have two internet connecrtions, 3BB ADSL and True Docsis. For a while I was using a Linksys RV042 but it it suddently packed in, anyway it wasn't particularly good at load balancing, it was basically just doing round robin. I'd be interested in getting something that would allow me to setup some more detailed routing of traffic through the two lines, as well as completely switch to use one line if one goes down, as it happens.

Someone, I think it was Monty, suggested I should take a look at pfsense. Though it's based on BSD I guess it's close enough to Linux that I should be able to get my way with it. But if there is a real good Linux alternative I guess the added familiarity would be an advantage?

oilinki

Posted 26.Jun 2013., 20:10

We have linux users in Thailand.. and in Phuket as well.

So where are they?

oilinki

Posted 26.Jun 2013., 20:10

I don't normally recommend linux to friends, unless I know they are self sufficient of finding solutions to the problems. The reason is that I'm lazy and do not wish to give free support for the rest of my days smile.png

Linux support is rare and it costs way more than the other OS handymen charge.

I use the Linux card rarely when doing shopping. Most, well almost all of the shops don't have Linux knowledge so even to ask if some device would work with Linux.. the information have to be fetched from the Internet, or just give it a try.

And by the way who is asking you to perform support for the price of the “other OS handymen charge”??

It's a bit sad that you not recommend your friends Linux. May be you even missing a great business opportunity.

That was not the point of my post. The point was where are the users? Where are the enterprises who can sell Linux support here in Thailand in order to get more people into Linux?

How we can attract more people using Linux? Giving support for free is certainly not the answer.

This is nothing new that you have to gutter informations from the Internet. But that is probably the point. Small and very small enterprises which probably refers to a big mass of computer users can not afford a OS relying on “some information from the internet.”

They want to go to a shop or may be want to call some person where they can be sure and trust that there is help. And they chose probably Microsoft even they know there is something much more better out there.

Of course professional Linux support would be great value and cost money.

Again where are the users? What kind of Linux OS are you using? What kind of experiences you have?

Post it here.

voted both, here's what I run so far:

- 1 router/firewall box

- 1 HTPC/torrent/fileserver box

- 1 laptop

What are you using for the router/firewall?

I have two internet connecrtions, 3BB ADSL and True Docsis. For a while I was using a Linksys RV042 but it it suddently packed in, anyway it wasn't particularly good at load balancing, it was basically just doing round robin. I'd be interested in getting something that would allow me to setup some more detailed routing of traffic through the two lines, as well as completely switch to use one line if one goes down, as it happens.

Someone, I think it was Monty, suggested I should take a look at pfsense. Though it's based on BSD I guess it's close enough to Linux that I should be able to get my way with it. But if there is a real good Linux alternative I guess the added familiarity would be an advantage?

I don't use any specialized distro, I just built it from scratch using a very minimal source based distro (crux.nu). It's a pretty simple setup:

- for the kernel, I currently use grsecurity testing patches [ https://grsecurity.net/index.php ]

- hostapd for wlan AP

- unbound (validating, recursive, and caching DNS resolver) with dnssec enabled [ https://unbound.net/ ]

- dhcpd

- ddclient

- I also use fq_codel AQM to handle QoS [ http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki <- codel article, fq_codel is its fair queue implementation] and bql [ https://lwn.net/Articles/469652/ ]

- I forgot the most important: iptables for firewalling/routing.

For your setup, you might want to look at Ethernet team driver support in your kernel [ CONFIG_NET_TEAM ]. Basically, it makes one virtual NIC out of many (with random mode, load-balancing, round-robin support and more). I'm sure there are other solutions but I never used any, can't really help on this one.

edit: this looks like a great distro for a router/firewall http://alpinelinux.org/ I tried it shortly few years ago and was pretty impressed but its simple design, speed and features.

Edited by urandom

• 2 months later...

Learnt it from headless servers but have run my home and work desktop on linux for years.

Mostly the deb family (deb, ubuntu and mint) with a bit of centos.

I really wanted to shift my company over but unfortunately around a 10% incompatibility.

Gimp is no photoshop, skype and sip are inferior on linux, accounting software etc make it a no go.

Sure it would be a busy month training but the stability and reliability benefits would be great. Forget virus, dump samba for nfs, rsync backups, ssh...perfect. All running virtual machines for occassional tasks would kill the benefits.

Learnt it from headless servers but have run my home and work desktop on linux for years.

Mostly the deb family (deb, ubuntu and mint) with a bit of centos.

I really wanted to shift my company over but unfortunately around a 10% incompatibility.

Gimp is no photoshop, skype and sip are inferior on linux, accounting software etc make it a no go.

Sure it would be a busy month training but the stability and reliability benefits would be great. Forget virus, dump samba for nfs, rsync backups, ssh...perfect. All running virtual machines for occassional tasks would kill the benefits.

I always install GIMP, but I actually never use it. Picasa is way better for my tasks.. ans way, way simpler. I don't have experience what Photoshop could do. Most likely more things than Picasa and more easy way than GIMP.

Skype, SIP.. those work and has always been working. I don't really see the case in there.

Accounting software should be server based with web interface. That should not be a deal breaker unless an company is used to use some specific software.

I have been using Linux on my laptop (which is also my company) for the last 6 years. Photoshop could be one of the things I would like to try and use (I love to take photos as hobby), but that's about it.

The benefits is to have a good system, ability to control things with shell access. Possibility to write scripts to take care of the boring stuff like backups and organizing data. Having fully functional webserver on laptop etc.

Oh, I forgot. Having huge amount of applications available from reliable source. Applications which will install with few click or few words in command line. That's the real benefit of using Linux.

I could think of using Apple products for their design, but would likely install Linux for the freedom of doing things the way I wish to be done.

• 4 weeks later...

Both cli (ssh into my Raspi router/torrent box/firewall/ad blocker) as well as an HTPC running XBMC, a couple of laptops used for ripping x264/gaming/web browsing and my tablets.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yep...that is why Justin Beiber (Windows) is popular and Filter (Linux) isn't.

Banal idiocy has to be one of the worst forms of curmudgeonly behaviour known.

And by the way, much as Linux is used by millions without their knowledge (ATM, set top boxes, even the servers providing web pages) Filter has had quite a few songs used commercially that there's a good chance an average person may recognise it without knowing who it came from.

• Like 2

If it were better, use would be more widespread smile.png

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Or maybe it just needs more evangelists. Get with it, pal.

Edited by JSixpack

Actually I've just installed Ubuntu 13.04 on a spare PC I had standing around, and after a couple of days it seems it does everything I need from a PC. The one obvious exception is games as most games are only available on Windows, but I don't really play games these days so no big loss.

It's a little drab out of the box, but after following this list I find it's actually beginning to give Windows some serious competition. I'm still playing with it, but if there are no major hiccups I can see a complete shift from Windows to Linux coming on.

Servers - because it's free, and all apps also.

But: as I tried Win 8 for the first time last week, I would bet that if MS continues to offer touchscreen phone GUI for proper computers, everyone will switch to Linux...

Yesterday's update was supposed to bring back the start button, how did that go?

switched to Ubuntu yesterday and must say for the first time I am impressed with Linux. They came a long way!

Still, there are some things to sort out, will open a separate thread. Your help is appreciated!

wai.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone who has E17, Gnome and LXDE installed do a little experiment for me?

Open 15 or so tabs that have content in Chromium and then refresh one page or go to a different one.

Is it just Opensuse's issue or is there a ridiculous amount of waiting on all of them except for LXDE? I am talking about 10 seconds or more on Gnome/E17 and instantaneous on LXDE.

I do like the eye candy and widgets on E17 (Gnome gives me Win8 flashbacks) but since they're mostly covered up it's hard to justify with such performance.