Work Permit cancelled, next steps

Hi there

I entered the country a month ago on a non immigrant B visa to start a trial period at an office. I got my work permit but the company has decided to cancel my stay and now they are revoking the work permit in one week

what are my options ?
I would like to stay on for a few months as a tourist at least - hopefully organise a new position

http://thaivisaexpert.com/

these people say they can help with an extension - does anyone know more about them ?

your help is much appreciated

thanks

Anne

• Like 1

Hi Joe

Thanks for the quick response. That's a relief.

My office seemed to suggest that I have to exit the country as soon as they cancelled the work permit ...

In my passport the non-immigrant visa is stamped used and there is a re-entry permit which says it's valid until the 23rd August 2014

should I transport myself to immigration to be certain or will it make matters worse

thanks again

Anne

A bit confusing as it looks like they went ahead and immediately on issue of work permit they went ahead to get a 1 year extension!

So basically what should be in your passport according to your description is:

1) an arrival stamp issued to you at the airport when you entered Thailand, allowing you to stay until 25 (or 26) August 2013.

2) an extension, given by immigration, allowing you to stay until 25 August 2014.

3) a re-entry permit, also given by immigration, allowing you to leave Thailand and come back (once or multiple) without losing your extension.

If this is the case, you will have to leave Thailand on the very same day your employer cancels your job/work permit. Your employer should give you a letter stating this, which you have to take to immigration to cancel your extension.

You will be given the opportunity to get one 7 day extension at a cost of 1,900 Baht.

Failure to do this in time would put you in overstay and liable for a fine of 500 Baht/day of overstay.

Thanks everyone, I'm contacting my office and will go to immigration on Monday

Where is nearest option you advise to get a tourist visa - I considered Singapore but there are air problems ... Will I be refused a tourist visa with all of this work permit stuff in my passport ?

Thanks

Anne

Thanks everyone, I'm contacting my office and will go to immigration on Monday

Where is nearest option you advise to get a tourist visa - I considered Singapore but there are air problems ... Will I be refused a tourist visa with all of this work permit stuff in my passport ?

Thanks

Anne

Penang (Malaysia) has a consulate and is a charming place, you can get the train from BKK, ( BKK > Butterworth) nice journey, book a few days in advance (aircon sleeper, fan option is too hot), in Georgetown (Penang) there are a couple of guesthouses that will do the footwork for you so that you won't need to personally go to the consulate, costs @ 500 baht extra I think. P.S. there's a great website called 'The Man In Seat 61' for all your train travel info.

Edited by lemonjelly

Most commonly used local places are Vientiane in Laos, Penang and Kuala Lumpur both in Malaysia.

Forget about Pnom Penh in Cambodia, recent reports indicate problems getting a visa there.

Penang and KL easy by air travel, Vientiane the easiest if you wish to get a double entry visa (max. stay of just under 6 months with 1 border run halfway).

Should be no problem having the WP and extension cancellation, probably happens quite a few times, people applying for a visa locally wishing to stay longer in Thailand after end of work!

sorry to hijack this thread, but i have a similar problem. i am a US citizen who has been here for over 5 years on a work permit - in february I was offered a new job, cancelled my previous work permit, and ended up having to do a visa run before the new job got my papers in order. so i came in on a 30 day tourist, new job had that transferred to a 90 day nonB, then fired me before my probation period expired. my wife (also american) has a valid work permit, and my temporary plan was to get my visa under hers, but my 90 days expires tomorrow and i was planning to go to KL tomorrow and re-enter with another tourist visa to buy time to sort that out. question is, is there any chance i can go to the consulate in KL on monday and get some kind of extension or a valid non O or B without my wife having to travel with me? i know it's kinda late to be thinking about this, but if there is any way to simplify the situation i would love to hear about it.

What you can do on Monday is go to immigration and apply for a 1 year extension of stay, provided that your wife is also staying in Thailand on a 1 year extension of stay. if she is staying on a90 day visa entry it is not possible for you to get an extension.

You need to have a copy of her work permit and her passport with permission to stay and proof of marriage.

What you can do on Monday is go to immigration and apply for a 1 year extension of stay, provided that your wife is also staying in Thailand on a 1 year extension of stay. if she is staying on a90 day visa entry it is not possible for you to get an extension.

You need to have a copy of her work permit and her passport with permission to stay and proof of marriage.

and i can do this in KL with just the (signed) copies, without her presence, or are you suggesting i do it here in BKK? (she has a 2 year visa)

BTW, thanks for the response

<edit> i should rephrase the question - is it better to do it outside thailand (exiting before i expire) or go into BKK on 2 days overstay to try getting it sorted?

Edited by dharmabm

That can be done in Bangkok.

You say your wife has a two year visa, you mean she leaves the country every 90 days or she has a two year extension of stay with multiple entry from the One Stop Service Center at Chamchuri Square?

As Immigration closed today and Monday is the first day they are open again it will normally not be considered overstay if you apply Monday. A small problem might be that you have converted your visa to a non-B, but are now extending based on being a dependent. Not sure how they will react to that.

When they say no, you will need to go to a neighboring country and apply for a non-O visa with the same documents at a Thai consulate. in that case it might be handy if you can get a small note from your wife's employer asking for a visa for you, as her husband.

Most commonly used local places are Vientiane in Laos, Penang and Kuala Lumpur both in Malaysia.

Kota Baru is easy too. Bangkok - Hat Yai (cheap flights) then minivan. No problem!

or…..mini van Hat Yai to Penang, 3 hours, 300 baht, Penang is way nicer than Kota B…. there's nothing to do or see in Kota B, ...a thoroughly boring place where men and women have separate queues in the supermarket ( not kidding )

• Like 1

I experienced myself that a visa gets cancelled the minute you resign from the company. Unbeknownst to me I left my job and found out after two months that I had no visa anymore. So I had to pay overstay.....what a bummer

You do not have 7 days automatically to leave you must apply for a 7 day extension of stay (and pay 1900 bhat) which is not approved and then you are given 7 days to leave.

Edited by ubonjoe

After work permit is canceled you have 7 days to leav the country,,

Your visa is automatic invalid when your work permit is canceled, so no extension can be done

Only if you cancel your extension and apply for an extension of stay unless done at One-Stop-Center (BOI). There is no more 7 days to leave - you are overstay next day after extension ends. And it ends on last day of work regardless of when work permit is canceled.

A bit confusing as it looks like they went ahead and immediately on issue of work permit they went ahead to get a 1 year extension!

1) an arrival stamp issued to you at the airport when you entered Thailand, allowing you to stay until 25 (or 26) August 2013.

2) an extension, given by immigration, allowing you to stay until 25 August 2014.

3) a re-entry permit, also given by immigration, allowing you to leave Thailand and come back (once or multiple) without losing your extension.

If this is the case, you will have to leave Thailand on the very same day your employer cancels your job/work permit. Your employer should give you a letter stating this, which you have to take to immigration to cancel your extension.

You will be given the opportunity to get one 7 day extension at a cost of 1,900 Baht.

Failure to do this in time would put you in overstay and liable for a fine of 500 Baht/day of overstay.

That is only if you are on extensions right? If one has for example a 1 year multiple entry Non B and changes jobs 4 months into the Non-B, thus returning the WP, one can then immediately get a new WP with a new company on the same 1 year multiple entry Non-B when the visa has a validity till, lets say, Feb 2014. Then 90 more days stay can be obtained if one exits and enters Thailand on the last day of the visa's validity in February, essentially making the 1 year Non B good for roughly a 15 month stay.

All correct?

I experienced myself that a visa gets cancelled the minute you resign from the company. Unbeknownst to me I left my job and found out after two months that I had no visa anymore. So I had to pay overstay.....what a bummer

After work permit is canceled you have 7 days to leav the country,, [to avoid confusion-this shown to be incorrect. read above]

Your visa is automatic invalid when your work permit is canceled, so no extension can be done [to avoid confusion-this shown to be incorrect. read above]

I think both of you guys are talking about a B visa extension, not a visa. Right? Neither of you had or are talking about a 1 year multiple entry Non-immigrant B visa. Under the "visa" you are talking about, you were not required to leave the country every 90 days, only go to labor and immigration every year to extend (and of course report your address every 90 days) correct? That is called being on "extensions".

Red font is mine.

Edited by NomadJoe

That is only if you are on extensions right? If one has for example a 1 year multiple entry Non B and changes jobs 4 months into the Non-B, thus returning the WP, one can then immediately get a new WP with a new company on the same 1 year multiple entry Non-B when the visa has a validity till, lets say, Feb 2014. Then 90 more days stay can be obtained if one exits and enters Thailand on the last day of the visa's validity in February, essentially making the 1 year Non B good for roughly a 15 month stay.

All correct?

Correct, only for extensions of stay.

Correct

If you are on a 90 day visa entry you do not have to leave the country and if it is a multiple entry it would still be valid and could be used up until it expires.

Thought so. Thanks guys.

Go to Lotus in Onnuch, there are vans transporting people to Cambodia

and Laos to have their visas processed.

The one responsible for transporting people can give the best advise on what to do.

Kota Baru is easy too. Bangkok - Hat Yai (cheap flights) then minivan. No problem!

or…..mini van Hat Yai to Penang, 3 hours, 300 baht, Penang is way nicer than Kota B…. there's nothing to do or see in Kota B, ...a thoroughly boring place where men and women have separate queues in the supermarket ( not kidding )

true nothing to do in KB but perhentians are very nearby, hint hint...

One other thing to remember about Khota Baru is that it in a very Islamic area, so the Consulate is closed Friday/Saturday (plus Thai/Malay Holidays).

true nothing to do in KB but perhentians are very nearby, hint hint...

Indeed they are, and good scuba training so I've heard, now, back to the visa run………..

Let me piggyback on the OP's question with a similar kind of issue I've always wondered about...

I'm here on a retirement based extension of stay, and not working in Thailand.

But if I ever wanted/decided to work here, I suppose I could change my status to extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai, which would be more compatible with obtaining a work permit.

But then sometime in the future once I've done that, if the job doesn't work out and my work permit were to be canceled while I'm on marriage based-extension of stay, where would that leave me?

I'm assuming I could change back to a retirement extension of stay, or could I? And how much time would I have to make the transition back?

Let me piggyback on the OP's question with a similar kind of issue I've always wondered about...

I'm here on a retirement based extension of stay, and not working in Thailand.

But if I ever wanted/decided to work here, I suppose I could change my status to extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai, which would be more compatible with obtaining a work permit.

But then sometime in the future once I've done that, if the job doesn't work out and my work permit were to be canceled while I'm on marriage based-extension of stay, where would that leave me?

I'm assuming I could change back to a retirement extension of stay, or could I? And how much time would I have to make the transition back?

One of the advantages of being on an extension based on marriage is that when your employment ends, your extension does not get canceled.

Once the extension runs out it is your choice to continuevextending under the married option, or revert back to retirement extensions.

The only hick up might be that immigration really prefers you to use retirement, as much less paperwork involved, and it can get issued locally on the spot, whereas a married persons extension involves lots more paperwork, and the whole thing can only be approved by immigration head office.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app