how do we feel about the inevitability of death

kristophon

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're a Christian, I'd have thought the concept of "everlasting life" pretty frightening.

You're talking about what Christopher Hitchens described as a 'celestial North Korea'.

Never heard that before, but nicely put. Personally, the idea of going to sleep and never waking up is the preferred option.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

I've had a few narrow escapes.

Heart attack & a cholesteotoma growing into the brain and one really bad car accident.

Before I came to Thailand, I saw friends and friends of friends popping off like crazy from cancer, heart attacks and other problems.

The above reasons are why I came here in the first place instead of sitting at home wondering who might be next.

My attitude now is to have as much fun as I can before the great computer in the sky calls my number and drags me kicking and screaming into the fires of hell.

Death? It comes to us all and I've done my bit raising a family, done some hellraising too and I'm happy. though I'd rather have a lot more time for a lot more fun ;)

• Like 2

I've had a few near-death experiences, and they do put things in perspective.

However I've also had many many experiences in my time this part of the world that made me think, at least for a while

"I could die right now and it would be OK, I've had enough happiness for one lifetime, anything more is just gravy".

I have always thought of life as a fairground ride ,some are slow and boring ,some frightening some meander along but on the whole were ok ,mine has been fantastic ,there were a few wobles early on ,but when the end comes at least i can get off thinking <deleted>> me that was f----g great!!!clap2.gif

I have been afraid of death for a long time I don't like the idea one bit but the fear has gotten less. But if I have to go i hope i go fast and not slow and in pain. But i believe im in the wrong country for euthanasia.

• Like 1

Au contraire, many voluntary euthanasia advocacy organizations send their members to Thailand to purchase nembutal, one of the preferred exit strategies.

Ok did not know that what i had learned was that doctors here only do passive euthanasia not active meaning they just don't feed you anymore or give you medicine but do nothing to help you on your way.

Au contraire, many voluntary euthanasia advocacy organizations send their members to Thailand to purchase nembutal, one of the preferred exit strategies.

Ok did not know that what i had learned was that doctors here only do passive euthanasia not active meaning they just don't feed you anymore or give you medicine but do nothing to help you on your way.

-

But I'm sure it's much easier to take matters into your own hands here, perhaps enlisting help if needed, than it would be in many home countries.

I interned at a hospital in Australia and learned that staff there had very enlightened views, sometimes patients were "inadvertently" given a bit too much morphine when it was obviously way past time, family all agreed no hope time to end the suffering.

But very few places are OK with explicitly allowing such measures, too many grey areas and possible confusion, mistakes.

Not to mention the influence of the religious right-to-life types. . .

"black" or "nothing after" death doesn't exist. plenty of video on you tube with mediums...

myself I have been in contact with dead people. I don't see them but they talked to me.

and I got one of these extraordinary experiences when your mind leaves your body.

maybe I m a medium... i don't know.

so really guys, you don't have to worry I guess. the most important thing is to stop to think too much about yourself and your little miseries. nobody really care about you in this world , but you can care of people and be nice to them. this is what count in life.

forget the "I want a house", "I want a car", "I want my beers". the I want syndrome...

clean your mind by cleaning you materialism needs. forget about your goal and career. why you need goals anyway when earth will disappear in 1.5 billion year, burned by the sun.(sun will expand before dying like all stars in universe)

do you think you are so important... do you think you are so good because you are a doctor or a president... this world is filled with losers and egocentric men who never grew up. ... many farangs make me laugh when they show their house, nice cars, or business card with golden inscription.(wow! ) ... you don't need all these things to die in peace.

so you know death... or myself? who give a toss about me anyway? not me... :D

Edited by Cheapcharly

-

But I'm sure it's much easier to take matters into your own hands here, perhaps enlisting help if needed, than it would be in many home countries.

I interned at a hospital in Australia and learned that staff there had very enlightened views, sometimes patients were "inadvertently" given a bit too much morphine when it was obviously way past time, family all agreed no hope time to end the suffering.

But very few places are OK with explicitly allowing such measures, too many grey areas and possible confusion, mistakes.

Not to mention the influence of the religious right-to-life types. . .

Where I am from the Netherlands they are ok with those things.

A couple of years ago I stared at death in the face, death flinched, but only every so slightly..

After walking up two flights of stairs and as I struggled for breath the world closed in around me and greyed out for a few seconds... At that time I thought, this is it, I'm a goner... my dying thoughts "I've been lucky, I had a good life".... Fortunately I didn't die, the world came back to me and I was once again lucid and alert after just a couple of seconds of darkness... I'd had a Pulmonary Embolism, a blood clot had migrated into my lungs from a DVT in my leg, I was only 36 years old.

Doctors told me I was very lucky, stats show this kills 1/3rd of people within 90 seconds... I wasn't one of them. But, It was a near death experience and an on-going one as I was helicoptered, then medivaced in a jet to Singapore which took approximately 12 hours in total...

So: How do I fell about the inevitability of death?. I know that when the time comes I'll accept it, I know I don't fear death.

But I hope that it's not too soon. No one should leave behind them people who who think we were taken away too soon... For that reason alone I fear not death but the hurt to others a premature death may cause.....

i too fought death , 5 years ago on life support , now everyday i love , i am not scared of dying .

• Like 1

Better sooner and with a bang than later and with all organs rotting.

I'll be quite happy to peg out crippled, infirm and pissing into a bag as long as I'm properly old. I like my life and want as much of it as possible, and a few health set-backs are going to do nothing to change that. I've seen people I loved die young and there's absolutely nothing cool about a beautiful corpse.

Regarding feelings about inevitability of it? Resigned!

"black" or "nothing after" death doesn't exist. plenty of video on you tube with mediums... myself I have been in contact with dead people. I don't see them but they talked to me. and I got one of these extraordinary experiences when your mind leaves your body. maybe I m a medium... i don't know. so really guys, you don't have to worry I guess. the most important thing is to stop to think too much about yourself and your little miseries. nobody really care about you in this world , but you can care of people and be nice to them. this is what count in life. forget the "I want a house", "I want a car", "I want my beers". the I want syndrome... clean your mind by cleaning you materialism needs. forget about your goal and career. why you need goals anyway when earth will disappear in 1.5 billion year, burned by the sun.(sun will expand before dying like all stars in universe) do you think you are so important... do you think you are so good because you are a doctor or a president... this world is filled with losers and egocentric men who never grew up. ... many farangs make me laugh when they show their house, nice cars, or business card with golden inscription.(wow! ) ... you don't need all these things to die in peace. so you know death... or myself? who give a toss about me anyway? not me... biggrin.png

Oh boy, are you up for a big surprise! Too bad you wont realize it that after death there is nothing. No rebirth, no heaven, no hell, no nirvana, no 7 virgins waiting for you, just plain nothing.

It is amusing, if not ridiculous, to observe to what length of stupidity people can go to avoid the thought that after death there will be NOTHING.

Oh, and by the way, don't panic, the end of the sun as a star isn't due before another 4.5 billion years! (not 1.5 billion years). (And not all stars end this way, some explode, maybe out of jealousy...)

So just go ahead and enjoy your spartan life and please don't get too sour about these crazy farangs who enjoy a house, a car and a beer (or 2), they won't outlive you, but then again you won't outlive them either, it just seems like that when life is boring.

And to totally upset you, I am a doctor (of jurisprudence) and I am very important (at least to myself) and I definitively refuse to grow up. But I have to print new business card... mine are printed in black.

• Like 2

"black" or "nothing after" death doesn't exist. plenty of video on you tube with mediums... myself I have been in contact with dead people. I don't see them but they talked to me. and I got one of these extraordinary experiences when your mind leaves your body. maybe I m a medium... i don't know. so really guys, you don't have to worry I guess. the most important thing is to stop to think too much about yourself and your little miseries. nobody really care about you in this world , but you can care of people and be nice to them. this is what count in life. forget the "I want a house", "I want a car", "I want my beers". the I want syndrome... clean your mind by cleaning you materialism needs. forget about your goal and career. why you need goals anyway when earth will disappear in 1.5 billion year, burned by the sun.(sun will expand before dying like all stars in universe) do you think you are so important... do you think you are so good because you are a doctor or a president... this world is filled with losers and egocentric men who never grew up. ... many farangs make me laugh when they show their house, nice cars, or business card with golden inscription.(wow! ) ... you don't need all these things to die in peace. so you know death... or myself? who give a toss about me anyway? not me... biggrin.png

Oh boy, are you up for a big surprise! Too bad you wont realize it that after death there is nothing. No rebirth, no heaven, no hell, no nirvana, no 7 virgins waiting for you, just plain nothing.

It is amusing, if not ridiculous, to observe to what length of stupidity people can go to avoid the thought that after death there will be NOTHING.

Oh, and by the way, don't panic, the end of the sun as a star isn't due before another 4.5 billion years! (not 1.5 billion years). (And not all stars end this way, some explode, maybe out of jealousy...)

So just go ahead and enjoy your spartan life and please don't get too sour about these crazy farangs who enjoy a house, a car and a beer (or 2), they won't outlive you, but then again you won't outlive them either, it just seems like that when life is boring.

And to totally upset you, I am a doctor (of jurisprudence) and I am very important (at least to myself) and I definitively refuse to grow up. But I have to print new business card... mine are printed in black.

If there is Nothing after Death,then none of us will have any consciousness of whether we had a Good or Bad life,long or short,Happy or Sad,Rich or Poor Life.

So it's all been a waste of time and effort, struggling to reach out for the ultimate prize....nothing!

Except for our Children,Family,Friends and Loved ones,we left behind,who have to do the suffering.

No wonder there have been so many people in the world who will do anything,even evil, to get a mention in the History Books, rather than admit they,like all of us, are nothing... in the overall scheme of things!