how do we feel about the inevitability of death

kristophon

dear Dom,

you don't upset me if you are a doctor... i just said people have goals to feel vip or to have a better life . guys with cars and houses have never impressed me as we know most live with credit cards and plenty of debts and probably have children they never have taken care of plus 3 divorces...

up to you to believe what you want, Buddhism say we go through many lives to reach heaven... you believe there is nothing, just black hole, well you will have a good surprise because your are totally right. you set your mind and it s where you will go.

people goes where they want to go. if I go right, I turn right, you want go left you turn left. I think in India they have some kind of 14 levels where you soul will go and it s up to you to decide where to go. plus 7 is heaven, minus 7 is hell. guess where you are now? around level 0.

I think it s important to respect religion and respect beliefs of others as long they don't hurt people like fanatics.

Buddhism will not tell you are wrong, because at the end, it s up to you to believe what is good for you. so if you believe there is nothing and you are OK with that, why not? you can even say people are stupid and ignorant, that s OK too.

I got many friends who think like you and I respect them but they got big problems when I ask them "... if there is nothing after life as you said , where do you come from in this case?"

they answer" I come from nothing "or some guys say they come from their mother (eggs or chicken I could argue?) . then I answer" if there is nothing before and after life, you don't suppose to be here as there is nothing and your mother should not exist as well. right? "

most will answer by ," yes but my mother exist and I exist"

and I reply "you just told me you are nothing... so what you do here?"

then they don't know what to answer... i just look at their reaction, they start to scratch their head or they go away... or change conversation...

Edited by Cheapcharly

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are born to die.

What happens in between is up to us.

Death is finite in our dimension, but how many dimensions are there?

Inevitable?.....yes. How do I feel about it?.......there's SFA I can do about it, so as many posters above have said.....enjoy life while you are alive.

Cheers.

dear Dom, you don't upset me if you are a doctor... i just said people have goals to feel vip or to have a better life . guys with cars and houses have never impressed me as we know most live with credit cards and plenty of debts and probably have children they never have taken care of plus 3 divorces... up to you to believe what you want, Buddhism say we go through many lives to reach heaven... you believe there is nothing, just black hole, well you will have a good surprise because your are totally right. you set your mind and it s where you will go. people goes where they want to go. if I go right, I turn right, you want go left you turn left. I think in India they have some kind of 14 levels where you soul will go and it s up to you to decide where to go. plus 7 is heaven, minus 7 is hell. guess where you are now? around level 0. I think it s important to respect religion and respect beliefs of others as long they don't hurt people like fanatics. Buddhism will not tell you are wrong, because at the end, it s up to you to believe what is good for you. so if you believe there is nothing and you are OK with that, why not? you can even say people are stupid and ignorant, that s OK too. I got many friends who think like you and I respect them but they got big problems when I ask them "... if there is nothing after life as you said , where do you come from in this case?" they answer" I come from nothing "or some guys say they come from their mother (eggs or chicken I could argue?) . then I answer" if there is nothing before and after life, you don't suppose to be here as there is nothing and your mother should not exist as well. right? " most will answer by ," yes but my mother exist and I exist" and I reply "you just told me you are nothing... so what you do here?" then they don't know what to answer... i just look at their reaction, they start to scratch their head or they go away... or change conversation...

-

Pro tip - a bit of whitespace between thoughts makes the wall of text more likely to be read

• Like 2

dear Dom, you don't upset me if you are a doctor... i just said people have goals to feel vip or to have a better life . guys with cars and houses have never impressed me as we know most live with credit cards and plenty of debts and probably have children they never have taken care of plus 3 divorces... up to you to believe what you want, Buddhism say we go through many lives to reach heaven... you believe there is nothing, just black hole, well you will have a good surprise because your are totally right. you set your mind and it s where you will go. people goes where they want to go. if I go right, I turn right, you want go left you turn left. I think in India they have some kind of 14 levels where you soul will go and it s up to you to decide where to go. plus 7 is heaven, minus 7 is hell. guess where you are now? around level 0. I think it s important to respect religion and respect beliefs of others as long they don't hurt people like fanatics. Buddhism will not tell you are wrong, because at the end, it s up to you to believe what is good for you. so if you believe there is nothing and you are OK with that, why not? you can even say people are stupid and ignorant, that s OK too. I got many friends who think like you and I respect them but they got big problems when I ask them "... if there is nothing after life as you said , where do you come from in this case?" they answer" I come from nothing "or some guys say they come from their mother (eggs or chicken I could argue?) . then I answer" if there is nothing before and after life, you don't suppose to be here as there is nothing and your mother should not exist as well. right? " most will answer by ," yes but my mother exist and I exist" and I reply "you just told me you are nothing... so what you do here?" then they don't know what to answer... i just look at their reaction, they start to scratch their head or they go away... or change conversation...

-

Pro tip - a bit of whitespace between thoughts makes the wall of text more likely to be read

But unfortunately not more likely to be understood in this case.

What on earth is he on about? Because mothers have children that proves life after death?

I've read it about 15 times and I'm completely baffled. I think scratching your head and backing away is the only suitable response to his questions...

So do tell us "What are we all doing here" I will be disappointed if you answer the obvious...nothing ?

what we do on earth? or what s the purpose of life?

I can answer to that. you ask a basic question that everybody ask( or most people should ask during their existence.)

the answer is in you and only in you. you have to look in yourself and you will find answers to your questions, nobody can really answer for you because we are different and we are on different levels.

why do you think Buddhists spend hours in meditation . they medit to be in harmony with themselves to reach happiness.

we don't know lot of things because this is the way to reach a spiritual levels. by not having the answer coming to you easily , you have to look in yourself and learn by yourself. each time you do that, when you will die you will get a better position....maybe, maybe not!

Edited by Cheapcharly
  • Like 1

If we are talking about death in Thailand.

I like to go between two Issan Pretties ... biggrin.png

If it's going to be my last thought ... why not a good one?

I would also like to die on the job. I wonder what the girl would say if asked; what were his last words?

Actually it is not death that worries me, I am more concerned about how I go, rather than, when I go. Everyone of my family has been provided for once I`m gone, I`ve done and seen pretty much everything, seen the movie, read the book and have the tee-shirt..

Just would hate to go painfully or having to linger on for a long period with some horrible illness. Otherwise, death doesn`t worry me at all.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

When pondering death issues i can't but help think about our egotistical human nature and actions.

Like why are people so hellbent on working their lives away like dogs just for the fun of seeing a big figure in a bank account?

Why are we all so obsessed with looks, face value and our outer shells..enough to need plastic surgery and things like jewellery to make ourselves feel good?

We are all heading the same way. Can't have much fun living as a 90+ year old millionaire and ALL of us is gonna get ugly and wrinkly one day

We're all gonna get a go at death too..no-one misses out..so why stress over all the stupid stuff??

-

I agree but after your comment I did go back a read both posts... !?!

Meaningless psycho-babble and if anyone was left scratching their heads it would be for one of two reasons. They don't know if it is for real or they too are short of a plank or two.

I'll leave this aspect as I have no desire to get in trouble.

why you need goals anyway when earth will disappear in 1.5 billion year, burned by the sun.(sun will expand before dying like all stars in universe)

When someone makes quite extraordinary claims such as being able to talk to dead people, I examine their claims along with other claims they make....

Main sequence stars

The main sequence is a region on a Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram where most stars appear. Any star that is plotted within that area is a main-sequence star. The Sun is a main-sequence star. Most of the stars in the Milky Way galaxy and most other galaxies are also main-sequence stars.

Hertzsprung-Russell diagrams are graphs that measure each star's brightness against its temperature or color. The main sequence appears as a band going from the upper-left (hot and bright) to the lower-right (cooler and less bright). You can see an example of the band of main-sequence stars to the right.

Stars are created from nebula and first appear on the main sequence. They stay on the main sequence for millions or billions of years. When a star begins to run out of fuel, it gets much bigger and colder and turns into a red giant. After this happens, the star is no longer on the main sequence.

After this happens, the star is no longer on the main sequence.

Red giants are evolved from main-sequence stars with masses in the range from about 0.3M☉ to somewhere around 8M☉.[5] When a star initially forms from a collapsing molecular cloud in the interstellar medium, it contains primarily hydrogen and helium, with trace amounts of "metals" (in stellar structure, this simply refers to any element that is not hydrogen or helium i.e. atomic number greater than 2). These elements are all uniformly mixed throughout the star. The star reaches the main sequence when the core reaches a temperature high enough to begin fusing hydrogen (a few million kelvin) and establish hydrostatic equilibrium. Over its main sequence life, the star slowly converts the hydrogen in the core into helium; its main-sequence life ends when nearly all the hydrogen in the core has been used. For the Sun, the main-sequence lifetime is approximately 10 billion years. More-massive stars burn disproportionately faster and so have a shorter lifetime than less massive stars. [1]

[..]

When the Sun has exhausted the hydrogen fuel in its core in around 5 billion years, it will begin to expand and at its largest it will approximately reach the orbit of the Earth, before losing its atmosphere completely to a planetary nebula and leaving the core to become a white dwarf. The evolution of the Sun into and through the red-giant phase has been extensively modelled, but it is still unclear whether the Earth will be engulfed by the Sun or will, barely, survive. At its brightest, the red-giant Sun will be several thousand times more luminous than today despite being around half the temperature.

but it is still unclear whether the Earth will be engulfed by the Sun or will, barely, survive.

We revisit the distant future of the Sun and the solar system, based on stellar models computed with a thoroughly tested evolution code. For the solar giant stages, mass-loss by the cool (but not dust-driven) wind is considered in detail. Using the new and well-calibrated mass-loss formula of Schroder & Cuntz (2005, 2007), we find that the mass lost by the Sun as an RGB giant (0.332 M_Sun, 7.59 Gy from now) potentially gives planet Earth a significant orbital expansion, inversely proportional to the remaining solar mass.

According to these solar evolution models, the closest encounter of planet Earth with the solar cool giant photosphere will occur during the tip-RGB phase. During this critical episode, for each time-step of the evolution model, we consider the loss of orbital angular momentum suffered by planet Earth from tidal interaction with the giant Sun, as well as dynamical drag in the lower chromosphere. We find that planet Earth will not be able to escape engulfment, despite the positive effect of solar mass-loss. In order to survive the solar tip-RGB phase, any hypothetical planet would require a present-day minimum orbital radius of about 1.15 AU.

Hope dims that Earth will survive Sun's death

The future looks bright for the Earth - but not in the way we'd hoped. The slim chance our planet will survive when the Sun begins its death throes has been ruled out.

In a few billion years, the Sun will fuse the last of its hydrogen into helium, turn into a red giant and expand to 250 times its current size. At first, the Sun's loss of mass will loosen its gravitational pull on Earth, which will allow the planet to migrate to a wider orbit about 7.6 billion years from now.

You say 1.5 billion years and I do not believe you, I also don't believe you can talk to the dead.

{please excuse my poor formatting}

For those who want to die while doing the dirty, I would suggest you spend a higher percentage of your time increasing the odds.

Tantric practices enable sessions to be extended to 8+ hours, 24 at a time if you like.

Just make sure you don't have a partner charging by the hour 8-)

For those who want to die while doing the dirty, I would suggest you spend a higher percentage of your time increasing the odds.

Tantric practices enable sessions to be extended to 8+ hours, 24 at a time if you like.

Just make sure you don't have a partner charging by the hour 8-)

Given that the only two people I know that practice this are Sting and Prince, I think I'll pass.

Even Sheena got bored with it and preferred a damned good rogering ,,,, allegedly. ;)

"black" or "nothing after" death doesn't exist. plenty of video on you tube with mediums... myself I have been in contact with dead people. I don't see them but they talked to me. and I got one of these extraordinary experiences when your mind leaves your body. maybe I m a medium... i don't know. so really guys, you don't have to worry I guess. the most important thing is to stop to think too much about yourself and your little miseries. nobody really care about you in this world , but you can care of people and be nice to them. this is what count in life. forget the "I want a house", "I want a car", "I want my beers". the I want syndrome... clean your mind by cleaning you materialism needs. forget about your goal and career. why you need goals anyway when earth will disappear in 1.5 billion year, burned by the sun.(sun will expand before dying like all stars in universe) do you think you are so important... do you think you are so good because you are a doctor or a president... this world is filled with losers and egocentric men who never grew up. ... many farangs make me laugh when they show their house, nice cars, or business card with golden inscription.(wow! ) ... you don't need all these things to die in peace. so you know death... or myself? who give a toss about me anyway? not me... biggrin.png

Not a shred of evidence for what I can only describe as "drivel"

Given that the only two people I know that practice this are Sting and Prince, I think I'll pass.

Even Sheena got bored with it and preferred a damned good rogering ,,,, allegedly. wink.png

-

I'd rather think about Heather Graham and Scarlett Johansson myself.

But what's a Sheena?

I want $50billion will this plan work for me?

I think religion should NOT be respected at all simply because they do hurt and affect other people regularly and not in the fanatical sense.

We come from elements created in dying stars

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1

"black" or "nothing after" death doesn't exist. plenty of video on you tube with mediums... myself I have been in contact with dead people. I don't see them but they talked to me. and I got one of these extraordinary experiences when your mind leaves your body. maybe I m a medium... i don't know. so really guys, you don't have to worry I guess. the most important thing is to stop to think too much about yourself and your little miseries. nobody really care about you in this world , but you can care of people and be nice to them. this is what count in life. forget the "I want a house", "I want a car", "I want my beers". the I want syndrome... clean your mind by cleaning you materialism needs. forget about your goal and career. why you need goals anyway when earth will disappear in 1.5 billion year, burned by the sun.(sun will expand before dying like all stars in universe) do you think you are so important... do you think you are so good because you are a doctor or a president... this world is filled with losers and egocentric men who never grew up. ... many farangs make me laugh when they show their house, nice cars, or business card with golden inscription.(wow! ) ... you don't need all these things to die in peace. so you know death... or myself? who give a toss about me anyway? not me... biggrin.png

Oh boy, are you up for a big surprise! Too bad you wont realize it that after death there is nothing. No rebirth, no heaven, no hell, no nirvana, no 7 virgins waiting for you, just plain nothing.

It is amusing, if not ridiculous, to observe to what length of stupidity people can go to avoid the thought that after death there will be NOTHING.

Oh, and by the way, don't panic, the end of the sun as a star isn't due before another 4.5 billion years! (not 1.5 billion years). (And not all stars end this way, some explode, maybe out of jealousy...)

So just go ahead and enjoy your spartan life and please don't get too sour about these crazy farangs who enjoy a house, a car and a beer (or 2), they won't outlive you, but then again you won't outlive them either, it just seems like that when life is boring.

And to totally upset you, I am a doctor (of jurisprudence) and I am very important (at least to myself) and I definitively refuse to grow up. But I have to print new business card... mine are printed in black.

If there is Nothing after Death,then none of us will have any consciousness of whether we had a Good or Bad life,long or short,Happy or Sad,Rich or Poor Life.

So it's all been a waste of time and effort, struggling to reach out for the ultimate prize....nothing!

Except for our Children,Family,Friends and Loved ones,we left behind,who have to do the suffering.

No wonder there have been so many people in the world who will do anything,even evil, to get a mention in the History Books, rather than admit they,like all of us, are nothing... in the overall scheme of things!

The ultimate prize is to pass on your genes.

Oh boy, are you up for a big surprise! Too bad you wont realize it that after death there is nothing. No rebirth, no heaven, no hell, no nirvana, no 7 virgins waiting for you, just plain nothing.

It is amusing, if not ridiculous, to observe to what length of stupidity people can go to avoid the thought that after death there will be NOTHING.

Oh, and by the way, don't panic, the end of the sun as a star isn't due before another 4.5 billion years! (not 1.5 billion years). (And not all stars end this way, some explode, maybe out of jealousy...)

So just go ahead and enjoy your spartan life and please don't get too sour about these crazy farangs who enjoy a house, a car and a beer (or 2), they won't outlive you, but then again you won't outlive them either, it just seems like that when life is boring.

And to totally upset you, I am a doctor (of jurisprudence) and I am very important (at least to myself) and I definitively refuse to grow up. But I have to print new business card... mine are printed in black.

If there is Nothing after Death,then none of us will have any consciousness of whether we had a Good or Bad life,long or short,Happy or Sad,Rich or Poor Life.

So it's all been a waste of time and effort, struggling to reach out for the ultimate prize....nothing!

Except for our Children,Family,Friends and Loved ones,we left behind,who have to do the suffering.

No wonder there have been so many people in the world who will do anything,even evil, to get a mention in the History Books, rather than admit they,like all of us, are nothing... in the overall scheme of things!

Why? How does that help you?

[Deleted Dom's drivel]

I think he got that wrong.

Our ultimate and only biological purpose is to pass on your genes.

The function of all life is to procreate itself - all organisms of all levels of complexity are merely vessels for the DNA inside them that steers them to make more of themselves.

Edited by GooEng
  • Like 1

[Deleted Dom's drivel]

I think he got that wrong.

Our ultimate and only biological purpose is to pass on your genes.

The function of all life is to procreate itself - all organisms of all levels of complexity are merely vessels for the DNA inside them that steers them to make more of themselves.

Not quite, it is natural selection so there is no steering.

This quote system is still ******. Post I made earlier took a good hour when it should have taken perhaps 15 minutes because I had to do everything manually.

Edited by notmyself

Most of us tend to take that for granted,but of course it's still much better than facing nothingness,for eternity!

Its not about helping "you" its about helping your species.

Your parents helped you by passing on their genes.

The question was about how do you personally feel about the inevitability of death. It's about your own personal psychology. I don't understand why you think this has anything to do with it.

Does the fact that you have 1/16 of your great grandmother's genes make you happy to die?