does anyone else cringe? at CMU 'freshers'?

binjalin

I live not far from CMU and I'm seeing young 'freshers' wandering around with plastic signs around their necks and shouting and drumming from the sports field. Reminds me more of a Junior High than a University!

is this the cream of Thailand? really? can you imagine students from Europe or US doing this? I can hear them now chanting like 12 year olds.

Nothing wrong with that but.................................. whistling.gif

I don't mind. It is kind of cute.

haha well yes... but... and anyway you don't listen to it all day LOL

not saying it's 'wrong' or 'bad' but it's kinda 'young'? for Uni students?

When I was a Freshman university student in the US in the late 60's we would have been too "cool" to do it. Cool on the outside and lonely on the inside.

I think it's a good idea for the kids. They get to know each other right from the start of the school year.

What would you prefer?

Perhaps if they chuck a few rocks or maybe a fire-bomb or two? My God, some people will grizzle about anything,

While I don't condone rocks nor firebombs nor the throwing of them, most students who've used those usually have had a cause, a purpose other than to damage property. Agitate, yes, and that often brings about change.

Higher education should be about just that, though. A couple weeks or more of freshman initiation is time that could have been spent trying to catch up with the freshman classes in other countries. Many of those in their first year of college here are not much further ahead of high school ninth-graders in many other countries. The state of education here is pretty dismal, but apparently that's what they like for their leaders of tomorrow.

No, actually, the leaders of tomorrow are attending college outside of Thailand.

Team building and building friendships are an important part of all education. The difference in the west is that it is organized outside of each department.

For those that keep pissing on Thai education, tell us which university you studied at here. If not what are you comparing it to? What you recall 50 years ago from your own education comparing it to your 19 year old girl friend's?

I do find it a little annoying when students do put their activity day exercises above classwork but what first year student is the most dedicated? Usually student fluff off for at least 2 years before they really start working hard.

You never went to university right? Fraternity initiation silliness (hazing) is a feature just about everywhere I know.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Come to think of it, if new Thaivisa members had to go through some proper hazing prior to being allowed to post then maybe this place wouldn't be such a mess. smile.png

Agree with Tywais. I thought most of them have! wink.png

Edited by Mapguy

can you imagine students from Europe or US doing this

Thai kids live with their parents until they are over 30s or get married so it's the Thai and Farang cultural-time-frame-differences thing. (my sister and brother in laws are in their 40s and still live with their 70s yld mother!)

Edited by ARISTIDE

"

Thai kids live with their parents until they are over 30s or get married so it's the Thai and Farang cultural-time-frame-differences thing. (my sister and brother in laws are in their 40s and still live with their 70s yld mother!) "

Because no one in Russia, Spain, Italy live with their parents under the same circumstances.

I really hate this Thai Farang comparisons, because there are definitely a lot of different cultures and families in question. Painting cultures with a broad brush does no body any good.

You never went to university right? Fraternity initiation silliness (hazing) is a feature just about everywhere I know.

i have two degrees actually but one thing Uni students did not do was scream, have silly signs round our necks or play kindergarden games but each to his own . I never said it was 'wrong' just immature for Uni students and I'd warrant most of you do not live next to CMU so you are guessing what I am really talking about

• Like 1

I'd warrant most of you do not live next to CMU so you are guessing what I am really talking about

Working at CMU I wade through them every day and they seem happy enough to me. Sense no sign of embarrassment either as it means to them they are now truly part of it and probably even proud of it.

They seemed to be having a really good time this morning, walking up to the temple.

The big monks seats were all out and a badge/pin to be presented to every successful walker.

Wish I could have done stuff like that in my time.

Bit of team building never does any harm IMHO.

Maybe we could arrange a TV team building event walk to Wat Doi Suthep, and some monks handing out pins handed out at the top.

George, what about it?

"i have two degrees actually but one thing Uni students did not do was scream, have silly signs round our necks or play kindergarden games but each to his own"

One year at University in the states there was a group of incoming freshman that were made to wear signs around their necks and marched up and down the quad playing follow the leader. They did look ridiculous but they didn't mind. As said before fraternities and sororities do the same things and sometimes much worse.

The only problem that I have is that some students feel obligated to join, or when doing their dance routines for performance day takes precedence over their studies.

Having worked at CMU for over 10 years, I certainly do know what you are talking about but think that you are so far removed from academia that you are making mountains out of molehills.

• Like 1

i have two degrees actually but one thing Uni students did not do was scream, have silly signs round our necks or play kindergarden games but each to his own . I never said it was 'wrong' just immature for Uni students and I'd warrant most of you do not live next to CMU so you are guessing what I am really talking about

I was amazed when I was in the Netherlands some years ago, and the male students at the university where I was working had all their heads shaved, and they had to wear green jackets for a week.

No idea what else went on, but there was no mistaking the "freshers".

I'd warrant most of you do not live next to CMU so you are guessing what I am really talking about

Working at CMU I wade through them every day and they seem happy enough to me. Sense no sign of embarrassment either as it means to them they are now truly part of it and probably even proud of it.

well yea ok... if they are happy (and they seem to be!)

I wasn't so much comparing 'freshers' and all the malarkey in just about EVERY Uni across the globe more about the immaturity of these ones - sitting here I can still here the little darlings screaming their songs - whatever anyone's says on here you do NOT get that at European or American Uni's who would not be seen dead with a name card around their necks.

anyway... does no harm bless them

I have two daughters who both graduated from CMU. I don't know to what extent they participated in undergaduate silliness, but even if they joined in with alacrity it didn't leave any lasting psychological scars.

My eldest went on to get a masters degree in International Law from Chulalongkorn, and a subsequent appointment to a government ministry. She was recently chosen to represent Thailand at this summers UN International Law Fellowship program at the Hague. She leaves for the Netherlands tomorrow afternoon. We're all quite proud of her.

The Thai educational system - with all its faults - works very well for some.

My wife's elder daughters are both CMU Graduates and have done very well both here and abroad. Our daughter went to school in Australia for a while and we were quite happy with her schools and the results. However, when we came back to CNX and she re-entered the Thai School System, we discovered that her school life in Australia was more like "Play School." Bottom line..... Don't "knock" the Thai Education system!!

Edited by Murray
  • Like 2