How can foreigners report corruption?

Gone

Report it stolen to your embassy / copy to your home passport office, with full details -

Request new passport.

Keep a copy of report to explain no passport for 90 day report.

ALSO, if you are in Pattaya, go to City Hall & report it to Consumer Protection Dept.

Heard they reversed a jet ski scam case quick smart -

I agree with the above post for your interest is to get your passport back not report an endemic problem that everyone knows about and told to keep your hands in your pockets and do not flinch. If you take your hands out make sure it's not a camera, pen or recording device only cash.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

youtube seems to be the only solution nowadays, Thais hate to loose face or caught in the act

You will be relative safe putting videos online, but if you are trying to claim something back from the corruption, good luck on it.

If it is something minor or small money, best advice is to just forget it and move on.

The relevant points you are missing are countless. The primary issue, is that there is little to zero interest in fighting corruption here. Nearly every level of government, and law enforcement has given up the fight, or not bothered waging a fight in the first place. When they do, they are thwarted at every level, by nearly every official or person involved. Though Thailand has made alot of noise about integrating itself into the world community, and especially ASEAN, to date they have defied many, many charters they have signed, especially the 6th charter, which I believe was signed back in 2009. I am told there are about 20 different international government bodies that are going to monitor Thailand's participation, and conduct once the upcoming ASEAN integration takes place in 2015. Many are skeptical, for good reason. Thailand has a very long history of making promises to the international community, and breaking them, when it comes to integration, easing of customs restriction, the import market, etc. To date, they have remained fabulously insular, and in some respects resemble China, when it comes to keeping their own markets closed to outside competition. The term protectionism comes to mind.

Getting back to the corruption issue, it is incredibly frustrating for many of us to see the level with which it affects this nation. But, so far, there is no Anna Hazare, or other such heroes who have stood up, risked life and limb, and been willing to carry the torch. I have seen no fight. No game. No resistance. No battle. No courage. No fortitude. No conviction. No arrests. Nobody jailed. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. So, you are seeking something that is simply not there. There may be some talk from time to time, from goombahs like Chalerm, but no action, ever! Does the "anti-corruption" agency ever fight corruption? No. What do they do? They focus on election fraud. So, you are simply engaging in an act that, if it produces anything, will end in deportation, denial of a visa, scorn, violence, or bodily harm to you or your family. But, rest assured, it will not result in anybody being disciplined, losing their job, fined, or jailed. At the lowest to the highest level of government here, there is zero interest in that. SImply too much money being made, and no interest in upsetting the apple cart.

Well said, now get back to being a guest.

Funny. I may be a guest, but I have lived here for many years, and have pumped an awful lot of money into the economy. And besides, this whole guest nonsense is just that. Where I come from, anyone who lives somewhere for 7 plus years is a resident. And is entitled certain honors, and rights. The whole guest/nationalistic/we are the overlords attitude is ridiculous. Of course I understand I will never be a Thai. But please, lighten up. I am living here, and am supporting the people and the nation, and am doing no harm to anyone in the process. So, allow me to live in peace, and allow me some rights. I am not here to take over the kingdom. And I am entitled to my opinions, right? Or are they not allowed?

I guess tongue in cheek doesn't work.sad.png

Easy - the system is not actually designed to be active or respond in anyway, and certainly not for some cheeky farang.

Once you've grasped this point, you'll be fine.

Like the rest of us, grin and bare it. Learn to go with the flow, even if it's a little oderous sometimes.

Remember - you ain't got any rights here and it's simple to get rid of any pesky farang.

You can't buck the system in any country, and most certainly not here!

Ha....grin and bare itlaugh.png

I think that's the name of a strip club somewhere.......

Yes, you can report, It depends what kind of corruption thou.

In some cases it will be worth something, but most cases you will just get laughed at.

Why does any Farang want to report corruption any way? Maybe I am missing something, but is it actually affecting us. It is their country, so just leave them to it. Besides, if there was no corruption, a lot of Farangs would be a lot more inconvenienced. So just leave it, apart from maybe helping the police solve a serious crime, grassing on people is the lowest of the low.

Obviously you did not read my post #29

I love corruption, with relatively little money you can have hard things done easily. Let corruption work for you ! Just got a one year business visa and workpermit for a neigboring country for only $350, directly from a high ranking immigration officer whom I know personally, great guy he makes his own rules. :)

i_love_heart_corruption_pin-p14514423880

Well it seems like 99.9% of you don't have a CLUE what you are talking about.

1) When you are arrested in Thailand and don't have your passport with you they simply take you to your home and get it.

2) You cannot just "pay" and walk away with your PP if you are facing criminal charges. There is procedures.

3) The only thing your embassy does for you is supplies you with a list of Lawyers. At least that's what the Canadian embassy does.

4) If you post a youtube video and mention ANYTHING to do with corruption and they find it, you face new criminal charges and worse trust me.

5) So many of you speak before listening. I am not trying to report general corruption. I am trying to report corruption against me as a tourist. Although I have been here 13 years and speak Thai, I/we are all just tourists.

Yes, you can report, It depends what kind of corruption thou.

In some cases it will be worth something, but most cases you will just get laughed at.

Why does any Farang want to report corruption any way? Maybe I am missing something, but is it actually affecting us. It is their country, so just leave them to it. Besides, if there was no corruption, a lot of Farangs would be a lot more inconvenienced. So just leave it, apart from maybe helping the police solve a serious crime, grassing on people is the lowest of the low.

Obviously you did not read my post #29

I read your post Gone, and I think you have been very unlucky, but as I said, it is their country, and you have got to accept it. I am sorry about what happened to you, it is wrong and it is evil, but a lot of people have gained out of corruption, ie minor traffic infringements, paying 200 Baht to a cop rather than all the inconvenience of going to the police station and paying a lot more. I don't know what country you come from, but living here in Thailand is still a lot better than living in the UK. I wish you good luck and hope everything goes well for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not the OP tells us what actually happened...wai2.gif

Because by doing so here on a public site I would be facing more charges. Let's just say that my passport is being held on a pending charge that is bogus. They only want money and will not give me my PP back until I pay

How much? 2.000, 20.000, 200.000? Because compare with the trouble trying not to pay of course it is not the same story!

Does the government in your home country have a special department where foreigners can report corruption in their own native language?

Actually, in the US, yes. The District Attorney, to whom such matters would be submitted, would be required to find a translator if there was not already someone to take it down in Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, or whatever.

Better off creating a Facebook page for it, even the traffic police has threatened to resort to that technique.

That i NOT the way to go true me. Then it becomes "defamation" section 326 & 328 of the Thai Criminal Code.

Also that is a GREAT way to get yourself thrown in jail without bail.

Doubtful - you could always be based outside of Thailand and do it without the risk of anything because you are outside of Thailand's jurisdiction. I think opening a Facebook or blog site is probably one of the safest methods of outlining your concerns to the government.