Thai Regional Festivals

ourmanflint

I'm coming back to LOS for a couple of years starting this June, and would really like to visit as many regional festivals and such as possible in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia & Myanmar, especially those very localised celebrations that don't make it onto the tourist radar. So any info on where to go and when would be appreciated, especially any recommendations for where to be for the Mekhong full moon festival in November.

Cheers :o

I'm coming back to LOS for a couple of years starting this June, and would really like to visit as many regional festivals and such as possible in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia & Myanmar, especially those very localised celebrations that don't make it onto the tourist radar. So any info on where to go and when would be appreciated, especially any recommendations for where to be for the Mekhong full moon festival in November.

Cheers :o

Mr. Flint, my recommendation to you is to do an Internet search. You'll pick up some good information and advice....and it's all free. For instance, try the Tourism Authority of Thailand website or Amazing Thailand website and many others. Good luck

Mostly, this "Mekhong Full Moon Festival" occurs in October instead of November. It takes place on the full moon night of the 11th lunar month.....and so, is usually in October. The Thais call this time "Ork Phansa", or the end of the "Rains Retreat" or the end of the "Buddhist Lent". I've been to the festival three times in my 13 years of living in Thailand and I haven't seen the fireballs yet. The "Rheu Fai Procession", or lighted boats festival held on the Menam Khong at Nakhon Phanom, at the same time, is worth seeing.

thanks..

like anywhere there are the festivals the local tourist authority promotes, and then there are the local festivals which don't seem big enough to promote.. it's these I'm looking for.

But thanks for the link I'm sure it will be useful.

:o