Ubc Gave Us Three New Channels

mouse

For weeks now I have received repeated notices from HBO telling me about their upcoming series "The Sopranos" starting soon. However, on the HBO we have, there are no Sopranos available. Are we getting a cheaper version. Yeah! one of the three new channels is a Movie Channel but, it still cannot replace the Tony and the boys.

What HBO releases for Asia is not the same as what is released for N.A.

I suspect that entertainment providers offer variously priced packages and that UBC, while charging us top fees, are giving us the lowest priced trash. When it comes to series it has been my observation that when a show gets really popular the price goes up and you will no longer see it here.

There is also so much really ancient stuff on several channels. Entertainment Tonight stills talks about the upcoming Michael Jackson trial and even when they run old classics like Star Trek Next Generation, the shows are the least popular ones rather than the complete series.

UBC is junk and I am surprised more people don't remark about it.

I find UBC good for the various Sporting events. And of course much cheaper than the same thing in UK. I suppose most of the Whingers are Septics, who are used to 345,789 channels per household.

I find UBC good for the various Sporting events. And of course much cheaper than the same thing in UK. I suppose most of the Whingers are Septics, who are used to 345,789 channels per household.

you probably enjoy it because it is chokka block full of football :D

i suppose you soapies like it because the world begins and ends with the round ball game... :o

For weeks now I have received repeated notices from HBO telling me about their upcoming series "The Sopranos" starting soon. However, on the HBO we have, there are no Sopranos available. Are we getting a cheaper version. Yeah! one of the three new channels is a Movie Channel but, it still cannot replace the Tony and the boys.

I suspect your seeing the American ads as the 6th season has just recently started in the US. It's 3 episodes in right now and its back to form.

You can download easy enough on the torrent sites (about 350meg per episode).

i suppose you soapies like it because the world begins and ends with the round ball game... :o

Most ball are round..............................................................and even the ones that aren't we're World Champs in it. :D:D:D:D

Edited by lampard10

Most ball are round..............................................................and even the ones that aren't we're World Champs in it. :D:D:D:D

the balls that arn't round, were made that way so that many years ago, English people could have them easily inserted strategicly into their person.Your rugby team is playing like it's still up there....... :D

What HBO releases for Asia is not the same as what is released for N.A.

I suspect that entertainment providers offer variously priced packages and that UBC, while charging us top fees, are giving us the lowest priced trash. When it comes to series it has been my observation that when a show gets really popular the price goes up and you will no longer see it here.

There is also so much really ancient stuff on several channels. Entertainment Tonight stills talks about the upcoming Michael Jackson trial and even when they run old classics like Star Trek Next Generation, the shows are the least popular ones rather than the complete series.

We all kind of despise UBC ... just the HBO thing isn't the reason ....

I canceled all my premium UBC chanels so only pay 900 ish baht a month but we still get BBC Prime and star world , is this right or am I a lucky bustard!

You can't be that lucky mate, they are both <deleted>, star world is full of Americas attempt at being funny, and BBC is full of cookery programmes and DIY. ( Mind you, you do live in 'happening' Bang Chang after all) :o

You can download easy enough on the torrent sites (about 350meg per episode).

That's what I done Simmo, I just watched every Sopranos episode, yep all 5 seasons, plus 1 2 & 3 of Season 6 on my computer.

Be a long time downloading on a dial up though!

Divide the price by the number of channels and see which is better value for money.

Also, in the UK I don't have to pay for sport or movies if I don't want them - UBC is layered together - so you get sport/movies whether you want them or not...

Divide the price by the number of channels and see which is better value for money.

Also, in the UK I don't have to pay for sport or movies if I don't want them - UBC is layered together - so you get sport/movies whether you want them or not...

I seem to b e in the minority. :o

I pay 2000 Baht a month (30 quid) for: 7 movie channels, around 4 news channels (incl BBC & CNN), I think 3-4 music channels; I think 5 sports chnnels, which have all the premiership stuff live every week, plus rugby, golf and the tennis majors; a bunch of general interest channels, like history, discovery, etc,; 2 entertainment channels (Star World & BBC Prime) , a few 'series' channels, (AXN etc) all the Thai channels, and Thai subtitles on most movies and some other progs.

I've probably forgotten a few.

I don't actually watch a lot of TV these days, but I reckon its good value. Sure there's a lot of crap. But if you study the programme schedules, you can find some excellent movies, both old and more recent, and not all the American comedies are crap. Some are rubbish and some are very funny. (I won't name any, coz we'll probably get into a slanging match on what's good and what's crap) BBC Prime has an incredibly high crap content - cooking, DIY and all kinds of junk that can't be of any interest to most people out here. Whoever selects their progs should be shot. However, there are a few gems: classic comedies, TV dramas and some high quality documentaries etc.

I make the most of the good stuff by recording sometimes on dvd - this way I can fast wind through all the ads on channels like Star World and Hallmark, and watch when I want to.

All in all, I reckon its fair value for money - and probably no highter junk content than you get in the UK or USA.

Oh - I forgot - all the 'genrre' music radio stations which you can connect to you stereo. Some great stuff there, like jazz, swing, blues, classic pops, classical, and all kinds.

Come on guys - shoot me down! :D

Edited by Mister Doom

Ok Doom ... you're an idiot! <don't really think that ... just trying to make you happy> :o

There's not enough Boxing ... (the real stuff) .... and very little US sports ....

and geeze ... the Olympics weren't shown .....

or the Commonwealth games ....

and I do miss getting the Sopranos and Showtime ....

but honestly other than the price (which is high for Thailand ... and High compared to what I got in the States (but not crazy high)

it's the Customer service that sucks ...

star world is full of Americas attempt at being funny

no, it's not really, that's the thing... when i got it for free around Xmas time i noticed that both star world and the series channel only play crap that nobody ever watches in america. the simpsons excepted. it's embarassing that people think those shows represent america... i have never even heard of most of them. i wish they would play stuff like six feet under, the sopranos... and some of those nick at nite type shows like the brady bunch and roseanne would be nice for nostalgia's sake.

on koh phangan we really only get one package deal with 3 movie channels (HBO, cinemax, star). most of the movies are straight-to-video flops, but there is an occasional good one. i like how on weekend days they seem to play a lot of old 80s flicks like 'christine' and 'back to the future', but they tend to overplay pretty much everything.

i also noticed that the discovery channel sucks here! it's all FBI files and air crash investigations... what happened to interesting scientific documentaries!

all in all though, i think bad tv is a good thing because then i am not so inclined to watch it and more inclined to enjoy my life!

...i noticed that both star world and the series channel only play crap that nobody ever watches in america. the simpsons excepted. it's embarassing that people think those shows represent america... i have never even heard of most of them.

Exactly. I came here five years ago and am still seeing nothing much that I recognize except for some very old editions (like the Simpsons) and the most dreary ones at that.

on koh phangan we..

Really? Pmail me and tell me how you like it. I am ready for something new...

i also noticed that the discovery channel sucks here! it's all FBI files and air crash investigations... what happened to interesting scientific documentaries!

Not gonna see them. When shows run the first time they are ranked and sorted according to popularity like dealing hands of cards. When it is rerun time, who pays the most gets the shows from the popular stack and on down the line. We in Thailand get the dregs or "worst hand" which is no prize at all.

A very bright friend came over recently and needed some down-time. When she looked at our choices on the tube she was shocked; "This is what you get over here? This is cr@p!"

Yup, it is...

..all in all though, i think bad tv is a good thing because then i am not so inclined to watch it and more inclined to enjoy my life!

Enjoy ! :o