Oxygen bleach and tornado roof vents

mallmagician

So... the title says it all really.

I want to buy oxygen bleach powder in order to clean tile grout. Does anyone know of the brand name of an oxygen bleach? Where to buy?

Also.... I want to vent my house roof with a roof vent with one of those spinning roof vent things. Where can I buy the vent? And can a normal roof guy install it?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

The roof vents can be purchased at at shop adjacent to the airport on 108 going north towards town, just north of the Big C/HomePro. There is a big turbine vent on the sign, which is hard to miss. They install and know their business.

The grout cleaner is actually hydrochloric acid-based, liquid, and is called Vixol, available at Global, Home Pro, etc. in the cleaning supply section. Or, you can use sodium hypochlorite solution (household bleach) diluted, available at Big C, etc.

If anyone has a roof vent,i was just wondering if they make much noise

while they are spinning around,I would imagine they would need lubrication

and that would be awkward if you had a 2 storied house.

regards Worgeordie

The roof vents can be purchased at at shop adjacent to the airport on 108 going north towards town, just north of the Big C/HomePro. There is a big turbine vent on the sign, which is hard to miss. They install and know their business.

The grout cleaner is actually hydrochloric acid-based, liquid, and is called Vixol, available at Global, Home Pro, etc. in the cleaning supply section. Or, you can use sodium hypochlorite solution (household bleach) diluted, available at Big C, etc.

Any idea what a small one costs (ball park) to buy and have installed?

Any idea what a small one costs (ball park) to buy and have installed?

Mine was about 2800 baht installed, works perfectly, no noise - 2 years now.

It also helps if you have a screen made for the access panel (up into the roof space from the interior) to help with the air flow.

Edited by Lobo4819

Brilliant. Thanks for the responses. Will the tile cleaner eat through rubber gloves or should I use a particular type of glove?

Thanks to lobo especially. Great info.

Lobo. Did they also install the access vent for you? Do you have above ceiling insulation too? Does it all work well at cooling things down in the house?

Thanks.

Brilliant. Thanks for the responses. Will the tile cleaner eat through rubber gloves or should I use a particular type of glove?

Lobo. Did they also install the access vent for you? Do you have above ceiling insulation too? Does it all work well at cooling things down in the house?

Thanks.

I had the access vent made by a screen company, of which there are plenty. Just need to be sure it is a good fit to keep bugs and critters out of the house. You can install it easily enough yourself with a ladder or step-stool. You can feel the air flow when standing under the access panel screen - not a big wind, but light a mosquito coil and watch how the smoke moves. I have never been a big proponent of workmen in the house if it is not necessary. I do not have above-ceiling insulation, but I have a one-story house. I've heard various arguments for and against insulation, but if you are evacuating the hot air via the turbine, I don't see why you should spend the money on insulation. I did have the guy from the fan/vent company install the turbine, as that particular business does a lot of them and knows what they are doing. Last thing you want is to have some yahoo do it and next rain have a new problem.

Regarding the Vixol, you can always dilute it, as you should also do if using bleach. Regular chemical-resistant gloves should do, but be sure the fingertips don't fall off if they are made in LOS.

Edited by Lobo4819

Thanks.

Be carefull with cleaner that contain Hydrocloric Acid like vixol or alike. They do the job but as said contain acid and when stay too long they may damage the surface of your tiles.

Oxygen bleach powder can be bought in any supermarket in the washing products aisles. The most famous is Vanish, but most supermarkets have also some own brand which is much cheaper.

You could also consider soda ash, which is available from any swimming pool suply shop and is dirt cheap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_carbonate

We've found the best grout cleaner to be Promax toilet cleaner, sold in a blue bottle. It contains sodium hypochlorite (bleach). The ingredients are listed on the back label in English. It's thick, so it stays on the grout long enough to have an effect, plus it's in a squeeze bottle, so you can place just what you need on the line of grout. We've used it on all the tile floors in our condo every six months or so. (Meanwhile, I'd like to find a good grout sealer, but I guess I should start my own tread. We've had tile floors in the U.S. for over 30 years, but the grout never got as filthy as fast as it does here.)

Edited by NancyL

I bought a new container of "Attack" oxygen bleach on Monday at TOPs. It's the same as that used in most Western countries, for cleaning soiled clothes, or sterilising home brew kits (sigh). The main difference being that the instructions are totally in Thai.

I soaked three blue-stained shirts, and they came up very white, and then poured some of the mix into the kitchen grouting in my new place. It cleaned up the grease and mould very nicely, along with some help from a small scrubbing brush.

Lots safer than some of the stronger toilet cleaners.

If anyone has a roof vent,i was just wondering if they make much noise

while they are spinning around,I would imagine they would need lubrication

and that would be awkward if you had a 2 storied house.

regards Worgeordie

Had 3 on the roof for years, quiet as a churchyard door mouse. From that same place someone else mentioned just south of Tesco on the opposite side of the road. Fitted by the shop, no problems experienced. At the time about 2500B for the medium size one.