Quality, not quantity, of teachers is key: Thai chalk talk

CHALK TALK
Quality, not quantity, of teachers is key

Chularat Saengpassa

30208931-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Most educators sigh when asked about Thailand's education system. Why? The list of problems is long, with no effective solution for many issues.

Let's take a look at one current problem.

In years past, relevant organisations have complained about the shortage of quality teachers and educators. In response, teacher-training institutes began turning out a larger number of qualified teachers. However, this has lead to a new problem. Very soon, Thailand will have an oversupply of teachers.

According to a recent survey, hundreds of thousand of students are studying the five-year programme aimed at producing the so-called new breed of teacher.

In the 2013 academic year, 29,844 students will graduate and look for teaching jobs, and in 2014 academic year, 40,437 will graduate with the same teaching qualifications. In the 2015 academic year, the number of graduates from teacher-training programmes will be even higher - up to 56,382 graduates. In 2016, the number of graduates will reach 71,530 and in 2017, up to 61,329 will graduate from teacher-training programmes.

This means that in the next five years, the country will have a total of 259,522 graduates qualified as teachers.

But how many vacancies will be available?

Last month, the Thailand Education Deans Council commented that the number of students in teacher training was shockingly high. It also said that although up to 100,000 teachers may reach their retirement age in the next five years, the government would likely recruit just 20,000 new teachers to replace them.

So, what do the teacher-training institutes plan to do?

The council says it has already told its members that they should stop recruiting students in fields where there is already an oversupply.

Typically, teacher-training institutes divide their students into sub-programmes based on the students' interest and aptitude. These sub-programmes also match subjects being taught at schools - such as physical education, primary education, English language, social studies and science.

However, more problems emerge here.

Those fields with a shortage of teachers have attracted just a handful of students. There are now only 12 students following courses in Islamic Studies and 33 students studying Occupational Skills and Technology.

Chinese language will also become an important subject in the near future and the government is aiming to have the majority of schools conducting Chinese-language classes. But in all, teachers-training institutes have only 2,229 students studying Chinese-language.

In the fields of physical education and hygiene, there are up to 54,542 teacher-training students, but such subjects usually only accounted for just a few hours of teaching each week.

On July 9, the Council will convene a meeting to discuss these problems. Among measures being proposed is allowing students to transfer their credit to other faculties; the development of extra skills to enable graduates to teach in other fields; and the development of foreign languages to ensure graduates are qualified to teach at international level.

It remains to be seen if the relevant organisations will be able to find real solutions to these problems.

No one should forget that the current shortage of teachers is mostly to do with the quantity. Yet, relevant authorities have failed to introduce policies that are effective enough to prevent an oversupply.

And what about the quality issue?

To complicate the matter, the Education Ministry has also started efforts to introduce a new curriculum that is going to focus on six main areas, namely, Languages and Cultures; Science, Math and Information Technology; Communications, Life, and Career World; Communication Skills; Society and Humanity; and ASEAN Community, the Region, and the World.

Thailand Education Deans Council's chair Surawat Thongbu has warned that the new curriculum could lead to many problems because it does not adhere with the Office of Higher Education Commission's "Thai Qualifications Framework", and requirements for teaching licenses.

His concerns are not groundless.

The universities must be aware of their duty to produce quality graduates for the country’s educational sector. They must invest in human-resources development to find qualified lecturers for teacher production. Their focus should never be solely on profit making.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-24

..paying 50% more to another Asian Nation to teach instead of Thai teachers for so long......has damaged the educational system.........

.......the international standard is.........local teachers........and native English (or Chinese speakers)........

...anything else doesn't make economic or academic sense....

BANGKOK: -- Most educators sigh when asked about Thailand's education system. Why? The list of problems is long, with no effective solution for many issues.

Jeez, I could solve most of their problems in short order as most of their problems stem from poor management. Then there is the whole issue of trying to teach students 15 different courses a week, no way they can learn when they have to study that many different things in a week. But the directors of the schools are too busy practicing the fine art of corruption to be bothered with correcting the system.

I object to people who say school directors are all corrupt vijer get your facts straight, you do not know what you are talking about. My wife is a school director and she accounts and demands teachers accounf for every baht of school money. She is 100% honest ,with school funds , and my money, she went shopping came back and gave me 12 baht change, never takes 1 baht from anybody.

Yes i agree some directors are corrupt , but they are the minority.

I know several School Directors and other assorted upper management Thai people who are completely honest. I've seen a few bad ones get the boot, but by and large the ones I have worked with were honest.

I know several School Directors and other assorted upper management Thai people who are completely honest. I've seen a few bad ones get the boot, but by and large the ones I have worked with were honest.

I don't think there is a huge problem with Directors as such, but more to do with school owners, especially private schools. Directors are just employees. Can't comment on government schools though.

There are always the items which the culture seems to accept corruption. I refer specificallly to government contracts for things like road construction, book and desk purchases, computer purchases, TV and now tablet bids, etc.. I doubt the directors are involved in things like food and beverage and copy supplies but I often wonder how the above mention things known as being corrupt in the culture would escape the government schools.