Australia visitor visa validity

Because air fares to Oz can be quite expensive for January we are planning to apply for the visitor visa for the girlfriend in September but for travel on or after 1 January, and buy the ticket as soon as we get the visa approved. Is that feasible? Is Australia the same as Thailand, that is you have to enter the country within two months if the visa being issued?

Notes are here: http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/visitor/600/holders.htm

Quoting from the DIAC website ....

How long your visa lasts

When your visa is granted, the department will tell you how long your visa lasts and how many times you can enter Australia.

The department will tell you how many times you can enter Australia on this visa:

• You may be allowed to enter only once. If so, you will need to apply for a new visa if you want to return to Australia again after you leave.
  • You may be able to travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid, but the time you spend in Australia cannot be more than the period of stay that you have been granted.

As an example, my Thai wife was given multiple entry, one year validity, 3 months limit per visit. That said, and according to the DIAC website, the time allowed and other visa conditions vary depending on individual circumstances of the applicant.

When applying, we didn't have a return ticket, but were able to show evidence of ample funds to buy one and also to fund the trip. We also had a letter from my wife's employer showing that she had a job and therefore a reason to return to Thailand. I also wrote a letter sponsoring her, and provided details of my employment status showing that I had a decent job also in Thailand.

Edited by Thanet

Yes I read those notes forwards backwards and sideways before I made my post and they simply don't answer the question I asked which is - and I'll re-state it - can I apply in September for a visit that won't commence until January or does the Australian visa require the holder to enter Australia within X days of the visa being granted, as Thai visas do? Nothing anyone has posted so far answers that question.

My wife has had 2 single entry visitor visas. The visas gave her 3 months from the date of issue to enter Australia.

OP ... good advice ... thumbsup.gif

Mind you, and correct me if I'm wrong ripstanley ... they would have been under the older 676 Visa?

But the assumption is the same lead time.

My wife has had 2 single entry visitor visas. The visas gave her 3 months from the date of issue to enter Australia.

OP ... good advice ... thumbsup.gif

Mind you, and correct me if I'm wrong ripstanley ... they would have been under the older 676 Visa?

But the assumption is the same lead time.

The last visa was issued December 2012

Op, the short answer is no.

My GF just got a Visitor visa Class FA subclass 600...or the new visitor visa. She had 3 of the 676 tourist visa in the past.

This one is mutli-entry for a period of 12 month. There is no time frame on when she has to enter the country by. The last entry she can make is 9 May 2014, or one year from when the visa was granted. If she enters May 8 she can stay for 3 months from then

This is the first mutli-entry I have been given though I did ask on each occasion for the multi. (On all visa applications I have made I have stated the dates for intended travel)

The initial 2 visas were given with the requirement that travel had to be completed between date X & Y, starting from the date of the visa approval. or in other words I was given a 3 month tourist visa but the clock was already ticking when I received it. That made it near impossible to get cheap flights if I wanted to maximise my time.

You are asking for a visa starting in January and applying in September. Just make it abundantly clear when you intend for her to visit so if you get a 3 month single entry they might give you 12 months to use it. Also make sure you have all your supporting documentation, itinerary, reason for her to return home, financials etc etc within your application.