Election Day In Thailand

Jai Dee

Even if many of you guys don’t like the PAD’s, Sondhi, Democrats and noisy protesters etc, I think they are for the long-term a hope for a “less-corrupt” country. Why support the old habits, if you don’t actually don’t like them?

After another decade or longer here you might come to the realisation that your optimism regarding improvements, and motives of people is a bit ... optimistic.

Given enough time, things might improve, but forget about quick improvements, especially with present actors on all sides, and behind all sides of the game still involved.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Up country in Isaan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wifes come home and told me that everyone is being met at the polling station and told........

Don,t forget to vote for No. 2 ( TRT ) verbally by the Moo Ban elders and actually being shown where to mark there ballot............................. T.I.T.

This is Thai democracy Moo Ban style and you can forget not being intimidated.

It,s a, joke.

My wife of course is made of stronger stuff and has penned a no vote but she reckons lot,s are doing what they are told.

Lots of them are saying as much after voting and not kidding either.

She,s well P***** ***

Another thing that is crazy is the money and resources that will be used by the time it,s finally sorted.

All the deserving causes that could benefit, you name them.

What are the people who have travelled home supposed to do should it be re run again and again and again and they are needed to register a vote ?

They might as well all stay home for songkran and save the mass exodus that usually proceeds

this famous occasion and at the same time saving all the carnage that goes with it.

While the authorities that be decide what to do next.

Let,s shout it out loud once again

Thaksin should do the honourable thing and resign if he loves Thailand and it,s people so much.

Enough is plenty thank you very much.

This is not politics it,s a farce

marshbags :o:D:D

At a recent wedding in the rural east the Poo Yai who gave the speech basically said nothing about the wedding but reminded all to rememeber to vote TRT on April 2. This may not be happening everywhere but there will certainly be cases of Poo Yai using influence. Always has been. Maybe always will be.

Even if many of you guys don’t like the PAD’s, Sondhi, Democrats and noisy protesters etc, I think they are for the long-term a hope for a “less-corrupt” country. Why support the old habits, if you don’t actually don’t like them?

After another decade or longer here you might come to the realisation that your optimism regarding improvements, and motives of people is a bit ... optimistic.

Given enough time, things might improve, but forget about quick improvements, especially with present actors on all sides, and behind all sides of the game still involved.

maybe your right, and I.ll come back to that in 10 years, but I personally still believe we'll be better off in 10 years, maybe not as much as I'm dreaming for :o

Wife has just called me to say she has voted for the Thai Citizens Party as it's an old established political party.

That's O.K.

Anyone, but TLT. :D

You appear not to have been overly succesful with your activism in your own home, given that the small parties are not exactly what could be considered an opposition by any means. :o

And, it is not "TLT", the abrevation is "TRT" for "Thai Rak Thai"

Wife has just called me to say she has voted for the Thai Citizens Party as it's an old established political party.

That's O.K.

You appear not to have been overly succesful with your activism in your own home, given that the small parties are not exactly what could be considered an opposition by any means. :o

I think the poster was just playing with 'L' and 'R' ie farang, falang :D

That's O.K.

>>>>>

Well, it's a success of sorts considering my wife voted TLT in the past. I respect her rights as an individual to vote for whoever she wants to.

What would you expect me to do? Threaten to throw her onto the street if she dared to vote for Thaksin.

Incidentally, Thai Lak Thai can also be written as Thai Rak Thai - there appears to be ambiguity over whether it should be an "l" or an "r". It's an amalgam of both sounds.

That's O.K.

>>>>>

Well, it's a success of sorts considering my wife voted TLT in the past. I respect her rights as an individual to vote for whoever she wants to.

What would you expect me to do? Threaten to throw her onto the street if she dared to vote for Thaksin.

Incidentally, Thai Lak Thai can also be written as Thai Rak Thai - there appears to be ambiguity over whether it should be an "l" or an "r". It's an amalgam of both sounds.

I agree its up to her who to vote for both. Personally I enjoy the banter here, but most (or maybe all) of us are not Thai. I wouldnt want to suggest who any Thai person should vote for or even coment on their politics by and large. Its not my country. And yes we should also respect the rights of the individual to make their own choices. Hey lots we can agree on today!

The Thai Citizens Party is Samaks old party, which I think is now run by his son.

hammered - thanks for reminding me that.

Ah yes, Samak, the ex-governor of BKK who lives out at Ramkhamhaeng.

Funny - I really used to hate that guy because of the vitriol and enmity he used to spew out on his shows - Thaksin's mouthpiece.

But now, since all his shows were axed, my feelings have lessened from unadulterated hatred to a vehement dislike.

I can now sleep soundly at night. :o

Edited by bulmercke

Well, please don't misunderstand me. I try not to patronise you.

What i would expect you to do would be seriously to reconsider your appearant activism on the internet, on the streets and the PAD rallies.

You may be more succesful in your aims, and would endanger less your continued existence in Thailand, if you would spend your energies discussing those issues with your wife and family than shouting "Awk Pai".

Anyhow, that is up to you to decide.

In case of the abrevations, they are not done by how they sound, especially not according to many people's inability or lazynes to properly pronounce the "R" sound. "Rak" as in "Love" is spelled, and poperly pronounced in Thai with the equivalent of the western letter "R", and not "L".

Well, please don't misunderstand me. I try not to patronise you.

What i would expect you to do would be seriously to reconsider your appearant activism on the internet, on the streets and the PAD rallies.

You may be more succesful in your aims, and would endanger less your continued existence in Thailand, if you would spend your energies discussing those issues with your wife and family than shouting "Awk Pai".

Anyhow, that is up to you to decide.

In case of the abrevations, they are not done by how they sound, especially not according to many people's inability or lazynes to properly pronounce the "R" sound. "Rak" as in "Love" is spelled, and poperly pronounced in Thai with the equivalent of the western letter "R", and not "L".

Hi ColPyat - I don't consider your advise patronising and you're obviously expressing your own heartfelt views.

Things in Thailand are now not just changing by the day, but they appear to be changing by the hour. There will be rapid developments in the next week and I think from now on anti-Thaksin supporters will be targeted and arrested if Thaksin gets a clear mandate for further rule. He indicated as such to day. The iron fist is slowly, but surely emerging from it's velvet glove.

To date, there has definitely been a hands off approach by the police because Thaksin didn't want to stir things up on the "political protest front" before today's election. But things are goin' to change!

Another large anti-Thaksin protest is planned for next Friday at Makkawan Bridge (Ratchadamnoen).

And I think anyone considering attending should think carefully about the risks of being there.

Mind you....I'll be goin'......

Thaksin.....awk pai.....

Edited by bulmercke

Now I know why Toxin wins again!

...just been witness to this conversation in front of the house:

Returning (from voting) Thai wife to farang husband: "I think Toxin wins again"

Husband (somewhat shocked) : "why?"

Wife : "I just voted for him"

Husband (quite shocked) : " You???"

Wife: "yes, they pushed me to do so"

Husband (getting angry): "But you could make your cross anywhere, how can they see?"

Wife: " No, there was just one"

Husband (irritated): "One?"

Wife: "one candidate. They said nobody dares to go against Toxin. So there is only his candidate."

Husband sits down, pale, obviously under some kind of shock...

Wife: "next time I go away again. Sorry. they told me I have to vote, and there was just one"

Another large anti-Thaksin protest is planned for next Friday at Makkawan Bridge (Ratchadamnoen).

And I think anyone considering attending should think carefully about the risks of being there.

Thaksin.....awk pai.....

If there is one i will be going as well, but i do not run the risk of getting thrown out of Thailand and blacklisted for the foreseeable future, not talking about possible injuries.

That would be of no use to anyone, and don't be under the impression that in case of arrest and blacklisting it would generate any sort of substantial support from anyone, in particular not the PAD, or the media.

If you are aware of that risk, and your wife supports you in it, do it if you feel that you have to. But i would listen to what your wife thinks about having to live in the west, or being separated from you.

Wife: "next time I go away again. Sorry. they told me I have to vote, and there was just one"

You extrapolate from one incident on the whole country. Purest conjecture.

My wife is in the North and was absolutely undisturbed by anyone, and made her "No" vote. Which says as little as your post about the whole country.

Thaksin.....awk pai.....

If there is one i will be going as well, but i do not run the risk of getting thrown out of Thailand and blacklisted for the foreseeable future, not talking about possible injuries.

That would be of no use to anyone, and don't be under the impression that in case of arrest and blacklisting it would generate any sort of substantial support from anyone, in particular not the PAD, or the media.

If you are aware of that risk, and your wife supports you in it, do it if you feel that you have to. But i would listen to what your wife thinks about having to live in the west, or being separated from you.

If you are a foreigner I have to agee with Colypat. My wife regularly attends the rallies and will do so on Friday. I however stay home. It is not my country and I feel I should refrain from getting involved in the politics of it. I do hwoeevr provide my wife with all the moral support she needs. As a foreignr it is best to stay publicly neutral on these matters. It can adversley affect your sty here. Now if you are by any chance a journalist for western newspaper then all would be diferent. Take care..

...just been witness to this conversation in front of the house:

Returning (from voting) Thai wife to farang husband: "I think Toxin wins again"

Husband (somewhat shocked) : "why?"

Wife : "I just voted for him"

Husband (quite shocked) : " You???"

Wife: "yes, they pushed me to do so"

Husband (getting angry): "But you could make your cross anywhere, how can they see?"

Wife: " No, there was just one"

Husband (irritated): "One?"

Wife: "one candidate. They said nobody dares to go against Toxin. So there is only his candidate."

i heard the same message also from relatives in the Kamphengphet area - nobody else to vote for, must vote for #2.

they all bought it.

You extrapolate from one incident on the whole country. Purest conjecture.

My wife is in the North and was absolutely undisturbed by anyone, and made her "No" vote. Which says as little as your post about the whole country.

Come on ColPyat, relax!

I just tell what I see happening (may be with a little small sarcastic comment above it :D )

And this was NOT in the North or East or South, but quite central, although not Krungthep city.

If this happens even outside of Toxin's homeland, it can happen quite often, like it or not.

And a "No" vote? Well, I omitted that part, I thought it was clear: No, she did not see anything which she recognized as a possibility for a "No" vote. Again, there was just one possibility ... reminding me of the usual 99% winners in some countries :o

[quote name='dan10400' date='2006-04-02 17:36:40' post='701979'

i heard the same message also from relatives in the Kamphengphet area - nobody else to vote for, must vote for #2.

they all bought it.

Was the "no vote" box that small that they didn't notice it?

And a "No" vote? Well, I omitted that part, I thought it was clear: No, she did not see anything which she recognized as a possibility for a "No" vote. Again, there was just one possibility ... reminding me of the usual 99% winners in some countries :o

It should be common sense that failing to make a mark, or marking you ballot on a spot not reserved for any political party, makes this ballot invalid.

Given, many people upcountry do not even have to most basic education, and are easily swayed, or intimdated to vote this or the other way. But that is long established part of Thai politics and society, this was so before Thaksin, and will most definately be so after Thaksin, and often depends more on local, equally uneducated, influental persons than being central government or party headquarters policy.

Nevertheless, as bad as Thaksin might be, i think it is a bit farfetched and pure rethorics to compare him yet with those dictators who consistently receive 99% of the votes. He is a bit too smart for that sort of tactics.

Lets wait and see what the independent reports have to say regarding how widespread abuse was before jumping to conclusions.

Edited by ColPyat

Bulmercke, it's often very diffucult to "preach" at home - you don't have the necessary leverage - too close, too personal, too familiar, and you always have to compromise. Also don't forget that most preaching is not done to "converted" but to undecided. You can rarely change someone's religion or political affiliation, certainly not overnight.

Your posts in this forum, however, touched hundreds of people who have possibly influenced hundreds more. Keep up the good work and don't despair.

I equipped two voters in our household with pens and they voted "no", and they never needed any advise from me.

Samak's a disgusting pig. He should have been prosecuted long ago for his role in instigating 1976 violence. He was an interior minister at that time. However, by Thaksin's own rules Prachakorn Thai is counter as against TRT.

Or - was it indeed there? :D:D:o

It was there, everyone in my mooban found it that were voting at the same time as the wife. But it was not in the normal position - and the booths were turned around so voters had no privacy; so any request to vote for a specific number by anyone looking in would have been very hard to refuse or fake.

Nevertheless, as bad as Thaksin might be, i think it is a bit farfetched and pure rethorics to compare him yet with those dictators who consistently receive 99% of the votes. He is a bit too smart for that sort of tactics.

Lets wait and see what the independent reports have to say regarding how widespread abuse was before jumping to conclusions.

Again, I merely told what I did see happening.

But why do you say that Mr. Toxin is bad? :o

I have to insist that Mr. Toxin is the rightfully elected leader of this democratic country, and that all these negative happenings are nothing but desperate attempts by his enemies trying to use his honest mistakes to discredit him - nothing to worry about :D

Or - was it indeed there? :D:D:o

Guys turn on The thai news, the ballots are being shown all the time, can't miss the NO box.

Great! :D

Didn't know there's a TV team in every (or almost every) single one of the ...

I was not supporting Thaksin in my posts above, I was pointing out that accusations of electoral fraud and tampering with ballots are pretty silly considering he can't lose this election.

If he receives fewer votes than the No Vote option, would that not be considered "losing?"

You make consider the accusations of fraud as "silly,"... ok, that's your opinion. But it begs the question of why the Election Commission chose this election to make three key changes to the way voting is conducted.

1. The use of rubber stamps. Why?

2. The rearranging of how the individual ballot is organized. Why?

3. The removal of privacy to those casting their vote. Why?

Any ideas?

But why do you say that Mr. Toxin is bad? :o

I have to insist that Mr. Toxin is the rightfully elected leader of this democratic country, and that all these negative happenings are nothing but desperate attempts by his enemies trying to use his honest mistakes to discredit him - nothing to worry about :D

Because, difficult as it may be to comprehend, and an entirely alien concept to you, there still are Thaksin opponents who do neither agree with the PAD and their demands, nor with the election boycott of the major opposition parties.

1. The use of rubber stamps. Why?

2. The rearranging of how the individual ballot is organized. Why?

3. The removal of privacy to those casting their vote. Why?

Any ideas?

You mean do I have any groundless assumptions? No that's your domain :o

For now your allegations of nation wide electoral fraud by the EC hold as much weight as your past predicitions that a military coup was imminent or that the monarchy was going to make Thaksin step down.