Thai Citizenship

Dear experts,

Thai Visa forum has loads of great info on the visa issue and a great guide for residence permits but I can't find anything comprehensive on becoming a Thai citizen.

As I live about 1200 km away from BKK and rarely visit our beloved capital (could go to inform myself at Police Headquarters) would greatly appreciate comprehensive and concise info on gaining Thai Citizenship.

Who is eligeable to gain Thai Citizenship? Need a residence permit first or not? What's the process? When are applications being accepted? Etc. Etc.

Thanks so much!

JP

A couple of basic answers for you.

Unless married to a Thai lady you must obtain permanent residency first.

If married to a Thai you have to be working with a work permit for 3 consecutive years on extensions of stay and earning a minimum salary of 40K baht.

"A minimum salary of ฿40,000" that eliminates most teachers. What if you are retired and living here married to a Thai lady, is there anyway you can qualify for citizenship?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No way unless you go to work or start your own company and show that monthly minimum income.

It works the same way to get permanent residency. Although the ministry regulations say that you can show a combined income of only 30K baht a month it has been reported that immigration will not accept an application with only that amount. They will want to see an income of yours alone of 80K baht or more.

Edited by ubonjoe

Hey thanks guys!

Went through all of the things and just a small clarification question which is obviously important for my case:

Without Work Permit for the past 3 years is it just a no, no?

Even I speak and read excellent Thai, married with children, in Thailand since 15 years?

Cheers

JP

Yeah sorry to say its a no. I looked at the 18 things needed even though I had all them even getting them all together has honestly taken 4 months now. Without the tax returns special branch wouldn't even look at the rest!

They maybe another way but I have been focused on the married working route so could not advise in that sorry....

Cheers

Chris

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hey thanks guys!

Went through all of the things and just a small clarification question which is obviously important for my case:

Without Work Permit for the past 3 years is it just a no, no?

Even I speak and read excellent Thai, married with children, in Thailand since 15 years?

Cheers

JP

Simple inquiry, but as you speak and read Thai already why don't you just get a job, wait then apply. Why the hurry?