Bangkok: "Bentley" up for DSI Inspection

webfact

"Bentley" up for DSI Inspection
The Nation

30209121-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Bentley confiscated at a Bangkok checkpoint last week has been traced to a suspicious car importer, according to an informed source.

The source yesterday identified the importer as Phanwasin Wilaikaew, 32.

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) has found that Phanwasin owns 76 reassembled cars including 24 Mercedes Benzes and 13 BMWs. Lately, there have been widespread speculations that many luxury cars in the country were falsely registered as "reassembled" to avoid high tax rate.

The tax-evading vehicles are believed to have cost the country more than Bt20million.

Therefore, relevant authorities are now watching out for suspicious vehicles and importers.

Available records show Phanwasin have already sold the Bentley, which was confiscated in Bangkok at 1.30am on June 19, to Pisit Chartpanich and the registered price was just at a little over Bt3million.

The car registration expired since last August.

Pisit was not driving the vehicle at the time of the confiscation. A graduate student, Pisalamai Suangsurattanakul, drove it without any license plate. The driver called Pisit when he was intercepted at the checkpoint.

The Bangkok Yai Police Station has confiscated the vehicle and submitted it to DSI for inspection.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-26

"Without any license plates" but it has a front plate in the video.Seems like the graduate student may have tried a little evasive action at the checkpoint, as the battered front fender suggests. Or something did go wrong with the "reassembly" ?

I can only feel sad for the wast of time and money to conduct this dog an pony show of an "scientific investigation" where there are probably hundred of violent crimes everyday where nothing is done because nobody cares and it does not have to make the news.

Anyway, that is what happens when insane luxury taxes are imposed in a country like this. State would make more money, and less would go to corruption if the rates were kept within reason.

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

"The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) has found that Phanwasin owns 76 reassembled cars including 24 Mercedes Benzes and 13 BMWs. Lately, there have been widespread speculations that many luxury cars in the country were falsely registered as "reassembled" to avoid high tax rate."

"The tax-evading vehicles are believed to have cost the country more than Bt20million."

Is it just me or does B20 million sound a bit low for the tax loss on these 76 cars?

"Pisit was not driving the vehicle at the time of the confiscation. A graduate student, Pisalamai Suangsurattanakul, drove it without any license plate. The driver called Pisit when he was intercepted at the checkpoint."

Driving without a license plate in a Bentley? Someone's taking the Pis.

• Like 2

"Without any license plates" but it has a front plate in the video.Seems like the graduate student may have tried a little evasive action at the checkpoint, as the battered front fender suggests. Or something did go wrong with the "reassembly" ?

I can only feel sad for the wast of time and money to conduct this dog an pony show of an "scientific investigation" where there are probably hundred of violent crimes everyday where nothing is done because nobody cares and it does not have to make the news.

Anyway, that is what happens when insane luxury taxes are imposed in a country like this. State would make more money, and less would go to corruption if the rates were kept within reason.

Thats the video of the car trailer fire vehicles nothing to do with this story nor is the Merc in the head picture.

Edited by kartman
  • Like 2

PAZ, The car in the video is a 2 doors dark interior ( I think, this one seized after the fire of the transporter ) The one in the photo is a 4 doors and beige interior.

PAZ, The car in the video is a 2 doors dark interior ( I think, this one seized after the fire of the transporter ) The one in the photo is a 4 doors and beige interior.
The one in the photo is not even a Bentley!

The one in the photo is not even a Bentley!

It IS a DSI investigation and if they say it's a Bentley, it's a Bentley.

Even if it isn't.

Sorry my mistake, Bentley it is then, but the investigation is off to a bad start!

This luxury cars thing is an interesting story. The wealthy elite in Thailand are relatively few in number, and by targeting luxury cars the police are in effect declaring war on that group. It also exposes widespread corruption in the customs and registration departments. It wouldn't have been possible to import 1,000's of vehicles without their cooperation.