Time for Oil change, recommendations

RKeith

Just broke-in this new PCX 150 and it just reached 500km so time for its first oil change. Don't want to skimp on low quality so price is no object. What are the best ones I can use?

Thanks for the recommendations and opinions.

Cheers from Hat-Yai.

^ wot he said.

Oil is oil is oil. You can change it every 500 kms for ever if you want. Honda has specific MB rated oil for CVT scooters.

If you want to do it yourself? The PCX has no wet clutch you can use any oil you want, you don't need "special" motorbike oil.

Fully synthetic would have better lubricity and resistance to viscosity breakdown. Shell Helix Ultra will work. Advance Ultra is MA rated ( for wet clutch) so has the friction modifiers either removed or toned down.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

Option 1 - take it to a Honda and let them do it.

Option 2 - take it to a Honda and let them do it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile apI

I thought the first service was 1000km,I agree with shurup Honda do first service for b200 ten minutes in and out.They only change the oil,dont forget to get your book stamped.

Thanks for the reply, guys. VocalNeal and KRS1, appreciate the specifics. I'll look into the Shell Helix Ultra, Castrol Power 1 and Veloil and go with those.

Cheers!

Edited by RKeith

Not advisable to use the synthetic until the vehicle break-in properly. 500 km isn't long enough for a break-in, it's just time for a first service.

If any of the aforementioned oils aren't approved by Honda, they won't use them, if you do it yourself, they will void the warranty (most likely).

Take it to a Honda and let them do it, your PCX isn't anything special, you won't notice any performance difference and I can bet you will change this bike long before you can notice any advantages of using better oils (except that synthetics have longer life as mentioned by KRS1).

• Like 1

Not advisable to use the synthetic until the vehicle break-in properly. 500 km isn't long enough for a break-in,

Good point. That slipped my mind completely. About 5000 kms, maybe that is the routine oil change interval?

Edited by VocalNeal

The 500km change is excellent. Manufacturers NEVER recommend that, but the first 500 km will produce the dirtiest oil your bike will ever see. So 500km, then again a 1,000. You have it right. Mineral oil until break-in complete. I don't switch to synthetic until 20k, but that's with a bigger bike. Don't know about the PCX. A BMW tech explained to me years ago in the US that "break-in" continues actually continues at a slow pace until at least 20K, and I should wait until then to use fully synthetic. A lot of disagreement and different opinions on this. But for me, I prefer to err on the side of a more complete seating of the rings, but I also keep a bike forever. If you trade it off every 20K-50K, it won't make any difference to you what you do at this point.

• Like 2

The 500km change is excellent. Manufacturers NEVER recommend that, but the first 500 km will produce the dirtiest oil your bike will ever see. So 500km, then again a 1,000. You have it right. Mineral oil until break-in complete. I don't switch to synthetic until 20k, but that's with a bigger bike. Don't know about the PCX. A BMW tech explained to me years ago in the US that "break-in" continues actually continues at a slow pace until at least 20K, and I should wait until then to use fully synthetic. A lot of disagreement and different opinions on this. But for me, I prefer to err on the side of a more complete seating of the rings, but I also keep a bike forever. If you trade it off every 20K-50K, it won't make any difference to you what you do at this point.

Strange what I am reading here as I recently bought a new Mitsibishi Mirage car and it had synthetic oil in it which they recommended to change for new synthetic oil at 1,000 Ks. Not cheap, 3 litres 1,100 Baht and that was for the oil only.

If you buy most bikes you should get them serviced early...500 or less is good. The oil may or may not have metal particles etc in it but the important thing is that the dealers detune the bike for sale and retune it for power when it returns for the first service.

If you buy most bikes you should get them serviced early...500 or less is good. The oil may or may not have metal particles etc in it but the important thing is that the dealers detune the bike for sale and retune it for power when it returns for the first service.

I'm not sure if you are correct or not but I highly doubt any dealer in Thailand retunes any bike at the first service.

Agreed. Oil is cheap and that first change at low Kms will be money well spent. +1

Strange what I am reading here as I recently bought a new Mitsibishi Mirage car and it had synthetic oil in it which they recommended to change for new synthetic oil at 1,000 Ks. Not cheap, 3 litres 1,100 Baht and that was for the oil only.

Yes but, The first oil change is like no other oil change.

As it is the one most likely to have rubbish in it from internal parts first real run up

I would expect any new engine to have an oil change by 1000km or sooner even.

The question would be what does Mitsubishi say for distance between oil changes "After" that 1st one & is it inline

with synthetic recommendations for duration between normal changes.

Edited by mania

Yes but, The first oil change is like no other oil change.

As it is the one most likely to have rubbish in it from internal parts first real run up

I would expect any new engine to have an oil change by 1000km or sooner even.

The question would be what does Mitsubishi say for distance between oil changes "After" that 1st one & is it inline

with synthetic recommendations for duration between normal changes.

Mitsibishi recommend servicing every ten thousand Ks after the initial change at 1,000 Ks. This is using their expensive synthetic oil. I am happy with this as the long period between changes helps offset the high cost of the oil. I agree the first change is the most important but lets not forget there is a filter there to collect any particles.

If you buy most bikes you should get them serviced early...500 or less is good. The oil may or may not have metal particles etc in it but the important thing is that the dealers detune the bike for sale and retune it for power when it returns for the first service

Is the second service on a PCX 4000km.

Many years ago when synthetics first came out I asked a mechanic to put some super expensive full synth oil into the super expensive VW engine rebuild he had just done for me. Sadly, the lack of friction meant rings never seated, and it had to be re-done. I am naturally a worse to using synth oils until the engine is well run in - minimum 5000 km. Then, great stuff, if a little on the expensive side.

• Like 1