Reasons for bike drag....

The last few days the bike has picked up a lot of drag, which is just about to start lugging the engine in the lower mid-range.

Tested the pads first by not using the rear brake for 10 mins and then feeling for heat, then the front, and both seem normal which indicates it isn't brake related.

Checked tire pressure, which is normal.

Wiped clean the outside of the axles and axle seals with a WD-40 and clothe.

Got the bike up on the rear stand and did a thorough chain and sprocket clean. Rear wheel seemed to turn normally which doesn't indicated rear wheel bearings.

It's still dragging.

What else?

Front wheel bearings.... driveshaft bearing.... anything else?

What bike do you have and how old is it?

Does it seem to feel OK when running in neutral? Pick up/idle etc?

If it does - then it could be a bearing in the transmission.

If not - then could be the main bearing about to seize.

But both are unlikely these days unless you're running out of oil.

If it's a 2-stroke then it may be about to seize up - but again this is not likely.

Could it be a carb or electrical issue making the bike run slower which feels like drag?

• Like 2

Lifting the front wheel off the ground and spinning it there seems to be a rubbing sound, however when I take it out for 10 mins without using the front brakes the rotor is still not warm.

Indicates me that it might be the wheel bearings.

The front tyre was only changed just over a week ago, perhaps something to do with it not being balanced correctly or something? Though the bike doesn't veer or pull to the side.

There also seems to be way too much oil in it. It's between the two lines when cold and on it's side, and goes above the top of the window before it's even upright while completely cold.

It's supposed to between the two lines when upright and at running temp.

Any views on that?

Edited by 1020

3 years old it shoudnt really have bad bearings, but its always a possibility.

I wouldnt think overfilling the oil would be that drastic. Would have more effect on top end.

Did you wait while they installed the tire, or did you leave the bike? What kind of bike?

Edited by KRS1

same bike, oil the chain and make sure you have 1 inch of slack on it when not sitting.

when was the last oil change?

whats the mileage? My battery died a couple of weeks ago and it ran like a dog before then, no warning, no indication it was going bad...just flatlined on me.

Edited by KRS1

when i first bought my bike (secondhand) there was also too much oil in there, but it didnt do what you are describing.

adjust your clutch lately? Could be slipping. Mine has 29k and the adjustment only has a little room left.

Sparkplug maybe? with 50k though, the bearings may be bad.

Edited by KRS1

In fairness the Honda dealership checked everything, but nothing seemed amiss except the oil level. They drained it and filled it up and she was then tested by the manager who reported it was then running normal.

I collected it and its running as sweet as before. Actually even sweeter as it now has a deep cleaned and lubed chain to match. They also cleaned out about 5kg of sludge and gunk from under and around the front sprocket area that has built up over the past 3 years.

I wouldn't have guessed that the issue was too much oil, but now after reading up on it it makes sense. Too much oil = not enough space for air = build up of pressure which I suppose leads to change a change in compression somewhere along the line.

Bike is running perfect since. Thanks for all the replies.

Edited by 1020