Buying silk: where to buy the real stuff and how to know it's real ?

rubberduck

Is someone known with buying silk in Chiangmai, who can teach me how to test the quality ? At the nightbazar they try make you believe you it's real silk by holding a cigarette lighter to it but it does not convince me as most of this Burmese people are crooks.

Where are good silk fabric wholesale shops ? Different qualities ? How must to average pay per meter ? What is 'Chinese silk' exactly ?

I'm not interested in the expensive Jim Thompson stuff, just need affordable quality silk.

Many thanks ! :)

N18 46 43.5 E99 02 46.5

Honest and reliable silk wholesaler. Since years we buy all our silk household items over there, also all of our customers who buy from them are satisfied.

We are not at all related to this company.

how about this Shinawatra silk chiang mai

Address: 18/1HUAYKAEW Rd, Chang Phuak Muangchiang Mai,Chiang Mai, 50000, 50000
Phone:053 223 264

Owned by the Primister of Thailand herself (or her relatives) I think she wouldn't rib you off biggrin.png

Just recommend this place and I'm not at all related to this place although I wish I ambiggrin.png

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 1

The Shinawatra silk store is directly across the road from Kad Suan Kaew. I've bought silk there 12 years ago to have a dress made for wifey, she loves it. The silk is expensive and high quality silk, but the dress (and my wife) have weathered just fine the past 12 years since the silk was purchased.

As a disclaimer, I am closely related to the Shinawatra family and have vastly enjoyed the fruits of their power. And if you believe that then I have some spectacular land in the middle of the North Atlantic... : )

There is a woman in the Night Bazaar who has the largest silk shop there. She is not Thai nor is she Burmese. I believe she is Indian but has fair skin and wears a Muslim head scarf. She guarantees her silk to be 100% pure Thai silk or your money back. Her prices are far from cheap but she will bargain a little. She also holds the cigarette lighter up to a piece of silk and it will not burn. I took some Japanese buyers there once and they bought about 50K THB worth of silk from her. They also got a money back guarantee. The next day they took the silk to an elderly Thai woman they were referred to who was an expert and she said it was 100% pure, high-quality Thai silk. She is located in front as you come out from the Kalare Night Market.

I have no association with this establishment.

• Like 1

In days gone by, pure silk was used for putting the propellant (cordite or RDX) in large calibre artillery shells. The reason was simple - when silk burns it leaves no residue.

Holding a lighter to silk means absolutely nothing. Ask for a single thread - put it in an ashtray. Now set fire to it. If it burns to a slight, fine ash - it was silk.

It if burns to a little hard blob and has a burning plastic smell - it is a polyester or nylon.

• Like 1

how about this Shinawatra silk chiang mai

Address: 18/1HUAYKAEW Rd, Chang Phuak Muangchiang Mai,Chiang Mai, 50000, 50000

Phone:053 223 264

Owned by the Primister of Thailand herself (or her relatives) I think she wouldn't rib you off biggrin.png

Just recommend this place and I'm not at all related to this place although I wish I am:D

Owned by a upstanding Chiang Mai family then.
  • Like 1

Burning silk smells like burning hair as it is made from the same material. It leaves a fine ash. Both the waft and weft threads need to be checked as often they can be of different materials. Burning cotton smells like burning paper or wood and will leave a fine ash though not as fine as silk. Burning polyester or nylon will smell like plastic and will sort of flame up and leave a small hard ball. You can burn a small corner and you will know if it is a mix or not and if it requires further investigation. I buy silk in Worarot at Faithong. You can ask around to find it. I haven't bought any in a few years so.....

• 2 weeks later...

There is a woman in the Night Bazaar who has the largest silk shop there. She is not Thai nor is she Burmese. I believe she is Indian but has fair skin and wears a Muslim head scarf. She guarantees her silk to be 100% pure Thai silk or your money back. Her prices are far from cheap but she will bargain a little. She also holds the cigarette lighter up to a piece of silk and it will not burn. I took some Japanese buyers there once and they bought about 50K THB worth of silk from her. They also got a money back guarantee. The next day they took the silk to an elderly Thai woman they were referred to who was an expert and she said it was 100% pure, high-quality Thai silk. She is located in front as you come out from the Kalare Night Market.

I have no association with this establishment.

Coming from which exit of Kalare ? The one nearest to 7Eleven ?