Suzuki Caribian repair?

I've got a prehistoric Suzuki Caribian that is determined to go the way of the dinosaur (extinct), but I'm not ready to let it go yet. Anybody know any place where I can get a frozen gear fixed (probably a transmission problem?)?? It's stuck in 3rd gear as of 2 days ago and refuses to budge (driving it back to my place it started developing a strange chemical burn-type odor). I've tried the dealership and they said they don't do Caribians anymore(!), and B Quik didn't want to attempt it either.... any insight out there GREATLY appreciated!

Since you didn't put your location in the post or in your profile it is difficult to know whether to recommend a garage on Mars or Venus!coffee1.gif

Oh yeah, good point! Thanks. I just assumed everybody was here in Bangkok (where I'm presently at with my broken Suzuki) ;p I don't know of any place in Bkk that rents Suzuki Caribians anymore either although there may be a couple on the islands... cheers!

Your most likely only looking at a common Suzuki jeep shifter linkage problem. They all seem have a bushing/pin fail eventually.

The shift lever locating pin can be broken, causing the stock transmission's shift lever to become very loose. The broken piece of the pin can get wedged in there, and the shift lever can become misaligned. The broken piece can also become wedged in the gears and lock up the transmission or chip the gears' teeth. A new shift lever locating pin, which is just a special 12mm bolt with a pin sticking out the end of it, can be purchased from a dealer or several of the Suzuki aftermarket manufacturers. To install the shift lever properly, make sure the linkage inside the transmission is properly aligned and it should go right in.

Easy fix and cheap, Good luck.

Edited by highonthai
  • Like 1

Your most likely only looking at a common Suzuki jeep shifter linkage problem. They all seem have a bushing/pin fail eventually.

The shift lever locating pin can be broken, causing the stock transmission's shift lever to become very loose. The broken piece of the pin can get wedged in there, and the shift lever can become misaligned. The broken piece can also become wedged in the gears and lock up the transmission or chip the gears' teeth. A new shift lever locating pin, which is just a special 12mm bolt with a pin sticking out the end of it, can be purchased from a dealer or several of the Suzuki aftermarket manufacturers. To install the shift lever properly, make sure the linkage inside the transmission is properly aligned and it should go right in.

Thanks a lot, h.o.t. - now, if I can just find one of those 'aftermarket manufacturers' with the proper 12mm bolt, I may be able to get some local mechanic to plug it in. If it is in fact a cheap repair, I'll be a very happy camper - cheers!

Thanks a lot, h.o.t. - now, if I can just find one of those 'aftermarket manufacturers' with the proper 12mm bolt, I may be able to get some local mechanic to plug it in. If it is in fact a cheap repair, I'll be a very happy camper - cheers!

Got 'er done h.o.t. - thanks to your info I was able to feign having a clue which probably helped keep the price within the reasonable range. Had to replace plates & mechanism as my driving it home, then to the shop, burned the bugger out. Total cost B7,800 (it's still a bomber but it beats taking taxis ;p ) Cheers!