Honda LS 125r

Just picked up one of these for 7,000 baht. Obviously the one I got for such a low price is pretty rough looking, but it runs and drives great. Doesn't seem to have anything really wrong with it - just needs a few very minor things here and there, like the seat recovered.

So, I have a few questions for our community:

1. Any general opinions/experiences with this bike?

2. Any experience with having a bike repainted? Is it expensive?

and finally this is the most important one:

3. What if anything can be done about the terrible beating bikes of this configuration (gas tank up between your legs) give to the old - shall we say - 'family jewels'? I mean really - the bike is fun, but its painful too. Any advice?

Buying a whole new set of fairings would cost roughly the same. A new gas tank would also cost a bit extra, around 2400 baht.

But on the Thai market, they are highly sought after.

Buying a whole new set of fairings would cost roughly the same. A new gas tank would also cost a bit extra, around 2400 baht.

Wow, astoundingly expensive stuff there. I just figured one could remove all that stuff and spray paint it for maybe 1,500 baht.

Wow, astoundingly expensive stuff there. I just figured one could remove all that stuff and spray paint it for maybe 1,500 baht.

I repainted my bike compleet for 2500 bhat , only gas tank it must be 350 bhat

The Honda LS 125.... nice little 2 stroke bike ( one of Honda's last 2 stroke models in Thailand??) sharing it's engine with the Honda dash, 6 speed, 24 hp less then 100 kg weight, quite a nice package, although it's a bit small for the average Farang.

Here upcountry there still kind of popular, mostly with those narrow rims and the lower part of the fairing removed.

Could be transformed into a nice looking bike

post-143096-0-62378000-1372477366_thumb.

post-143096-0-15702800-1372477381_thumb.

post-143096-0-45946800-1372477622_thumb.

Stock the color is a bit "busy"

post-143096-0-25818100-1372477690_thumb.

post-143096-0-17644900-1372477865_thumb.

Good front brake too

post-143096-0-46888500-1372478139_thumb.

Repainting..... it all depends were you have it done.... moslty you get what you pay for, but even with spraycans you get get a nice result .... it's all in the preperation.

When you have you're seat done mayby they can add some extra padding and solve the problem with the crown jewels

Good luck with the LS 125 and keep those 2 strokes alive!!! .

Claire,

(insert high pitched voice smiley) I believe you need to squeeze the tank with your knees/thighs.

I don't really notice any discomfort when riding. I guess all those appointments at Mistress Aise's Bent Paradise must have paid off.

• Like 1

Claire,

(insert high pitched voice smiley) I believe you need to squeeze the tank with your knees/thighs.

I don't really notice any discomfort when riding. I guess all those appointments at Mistress Aise's Bent Paradise must have paid off.

Me neither...

I think the pain the balls happens when you "hump" the tank. Sitting a bit further solves that, just remember to squeeze the tank with your knees/thighs.

BTW, if the fairings are fine you could just get a can of plastic primer spray paint, a can of matte black aerosol paint, some soap, and a few sheets of sandpaper. and then just paint the whole thing yourself.

A friend once bought an old KRR turned it into a streetfighter and just painted the whole thing matte black, himself.

Popular with the Rice Rocket Street Racers and Wannabees.

I can now see why:

"6 speed, 24 hp less then 100 kg weight"

Not bad Bang for Buck at under 10k baht!

I'd imagine there are a lot of Gardenshed Somchais who have the art of boring and chipping these things to extreme Rice Rocketedness.

Edited by 1020

Thanks guys! I thought it seemed like it drove awfully nice for how rough it looked. Good 'bones' I suppose.. ran great, brakes seemed perfect. I'm going to ask my mechanic to suggest somebody to paint it the cheap way.. Right now he's doing a basic 'fix up' - new back shock, redo the front shocks, fix the speedo/tach, change the air filter, gear oil, clean the carb, etc.

I'll update how it turns out.. particularly like the 'matte black' idea...

• Like 1

^ Well done. Whenever someone buys a bike here the first thing they should do is take it in and get the following done: New oil and filter, new airfilter, new brake pads, brake system cleaned, carb cleaned (if carb'd), new spark plug, all cables lubed.

Probably between 1-2k baht.

Claire,

Stick your finger in the exhaust. If your finger comes out oily or black it might be worth getting the pipe cleaned out. It might be coked up with gunk.

These bikes need to be ridden. Not your normal your normal Yamaha Fresh 60-70 kphwhistling.gif

• Like 1

Stick your finger in the exhaust. If your finger comes out oily or black it might be worth getting the pipe cleaned out. It might be coked up with gunk.

These bikes need to be ridden. Not your normal your normal Yamaha Fresh 60-70 kphwhistling.gif

Haha, yes I know. Or, it needs to be driven at 60-70 in third gear, right? Just kidding. I'll check the pipe as you say.

1020 good point about the plug, forgot to mention that to him. I've noticed Thais are very reluctant to change the plug as long as its still working. Also didn't think of 'lubing the cables'.

Haha, yes I know. Or, it needs to be driven at 60-70 in third gear, right? Just kidding. I'll check the pipe as you say.

1020 good point about the plug, forgot to mention that to him. I've noticed Thais are very reluctant to change the plug as long as its still working. Also didn't think of 'lubing the cables'.

Thais are very reluctant to change anything as long as it is still working.

And even then it is common for them to change the part with a cheaper, similar part from another model. Wonder how many old 400's have been going around with various scooter parts modified to fit into them. biggrin.png

I read before of a teacher on here whose school van had a puncture on a school trip. The driver drove the 10km back to school on the completely flat tyre because 'still have tyre left'.

If possible change the brake pads and get them to flush out and clean the braking system while they're at it. Just be careful that they say 'sure', then don't do it at all. One trick common here is to just lube the two ends of the cable instead of taking it out and lubing it all. rolleyes.gif Anything they can get away with they can.

Edited by 1020

Well, today I went back and checked out how the restoration is progressing, and contrary to the idea that 'they never like to change anything', the mechanic ordered a new set of gauges.. not sure how much it will be, but he's usually bargain basement about everything, so I'm not too worried.

He told me that the bike is perfectly rideable as it is, but he did say that he felt the engine wasn't quite 100% - said it had a slight tick or knock in it. He offered the possibility of a 'top-end rebuild' (new cylinder, etc), while pointing out it wasn't absolutely necessary. After some discussion I decided to go through with it - he's rebuilt several two-strokes for me (Honda Tena's and a Yamaha Tiara), and they came out perfect. Those little Hondas cost about 1,000 all in for this kind of rebuild, and the Tiara (a 120cc) cost about 1,500, so I'm hoping this one won't be much more.

So far I'm into: new gauges, new battery, new back shock, re-oil the front shocks, and now a new cylinder.. I'm guessing by the time I get it back I will have 10,000 in the bike..

• Like 1

Well, today I went back and checked out how the restoration is progressing, and contrary to the idea that 'they never like to change anything', the mechanic ordered a new set of gauges.. not sure how much it will be, but he's usually bargain basement about everything, so I'm not too worried.

He told me that the bike is perfectly rideable as it is, but he did say that he felt the engine wasn't quite 100% - said it had a slight tick or knock in it. He offered the possibility of a 'top-end rebuild' (new cylinder, etc), while pointing out it wasn't absolutely necessary. After some discussion I decided to go through with it - he's rebuilt several two-strokes for me (Honda Tena's and a Yamaha Tiara), and they came out perfect. Those little Hondas cost about 1,000 all in for this kind of rebuild, and the Tiara (a 120cc) cost about 1,500, so I'm hoping this one won't be much more.

So far I'm into: new gauges, new battery, new back shock, re-oil the front shocks, and now a new cylinder.. I'm guessing by the time I get it back I will have 10,000 in the bike..

When using original parts i could be more.....

I know from my own experience that some Honda parts ( orginal) can be quite expensive, for example an original cylinder ( nikasil coated) for a NSR 150 SP costed me 9000 baht.

But here in Thailand there mostly copy parts avaliable.

But why a new cylinder ??, in most cases a rebore and a oversized piston would do the trick, together with a few minor parts(piston rings, gasket set, etc) it would set you back around 1500 baht.

Don't forget to have you're mechanic check the autolube system, with this kind of high reving engine it's important to have good lubrication. The best is to use a fully synthetic 2T oil like this one:

post-143096-0-05913900-1372735221_thumb.

Keep us updated, always like to read about little projects and... a picture of the bike please.( before / after)

• Like 1

But why a new cylinder ??, in most cases a rebore and a oversized piston would do the trick, together with a few minor parts(piston rings, gasket set, etc) it would set you back around 1500 baht.

Keep us updated, always like to read about little projects and... a picture of the bike please.( before / after)

Oh! Yes sorry about that, I didn't mean a new cylinder, I meant a new piston.. (and rings, gasket set, etc, as you say).

A before/after picture is a good idea, I'll try to do that, but alas he's already got it all apart at the shop. I'm thinking of doing the mechanical rehabilitation, and just leave the cosmetic stuff (mainly paint) for later on, so the pics mightn't show much anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I got the bike back and it is running and driving just fantastic. Couldn't be better, in my opinion, though cosmetically its still the same rough condition. The total bill for the repairs, from a rebuilt motor to new instruments to new shock and many other small things, was 3,480 baht, so I have just over 10,000 in the bike now.

The only minor disaster was after getting it back I took it for a lot of joy rides with a set of all my spare motorbike keys in the ignition, and they fell out (one of those ignitions which doesn't keep the key in effectively.) Nothing more irritating then searching along an eight kilometer route looking for lost keys. Anyway, never found them.. all the other keys on the chain were just spares, but the LS 125's original was lost, and I've no spare, so I have to get a new ignition installed, and a new key made for 1) the seat, and 2) the gas-tank. Here's a pic or two of the bike:

DSC00241.jpg

DSC00242.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

Edited by ClareQuilty

What colour scheme are you going to go for?

A deep, royal blue with dark bronze rims would look great.

I presume by your name you're a Western female. If so, there are going to be some very hurt Thai egos as you trounce them off them lights. :D

Wow, what a great looking project bike. Not that Im overly into the '2 stroke blues' but I do like the look of this model.....I may have to go looking around CM and see if I can find one. It would keep me busy and out of the bars, which would be good for losing the beer gut! laugh.png ike isnt

As some have mentioned, painting a bike isnt so hard. Preparation IS the key. In the past I have used 'Leyland' brand spray paints that come in a good variety of colours. Its a laquer paint and only about 70 baht per spray can. They even to a 'plastic' primer which is great on off road bike fenders. I have tried other brands but have found them to be terrible in comparison, others tend to have poor pressure and 'spit' rather than fine spray.

Anyways, good luck with this project clap2.gif

Oh nearly forgot.....Id get those rims sandblasted too, they look pretty bad at the moment!

Edited by CMKiwi

What colour scheme are you going to go for?

A deep, royal blue with dark bronze rims would look great.

I presume by your name you're a Western female. If so, there are going to be some very hurt Thai egos as you trounce them off them lights. biggrin.png

Not so sure about that Salapoo..... read the opening post re Family jewels!

Thanks for the pics CQ, rough looking, but it's got potential.

I rather buy this kind of old 2 stroke bikes looking like this than "butcherd" thai style "modified".

This one looks all original and complete, which is a good base for a project.

Now that the mechanical part is taken care of, it's time for the cosmetic part.

btw: by the looks of the chain tensioner you will need a new chain soon.

keep us updated.

The name Clare Quilty is from the Nabokov novel. :)

Regarding the cosmetics, I'm sort of a fan of the 'beater', 'banger' or 'jalopy' style.. or some might call 'rat rods' this style. That is, a car left in its original patina of age and wear, but made functional again through some mechanical rebuilding. I definitely don't like the idea of the glossy over-restored things you see.

I think I'd apply the same aesthetic to motorbikes. Not sure yet though.

• Like 1

In that case: matte black is the way to go, leave the rest as it is and you've got an instant Ratbike.

On google there are enough scary/crazy/funny ratbikes for inspiration.

Check out the classic 80's action movie: Mad Max The road warrior....... lot's of ratbikes in that movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Scary update - yesterday I was driving this bike for about 8 kilometers at about 100-120 kph - I remember noting that the revs were at about 8,000 at 110 kph - and this engine suddenly locked and the back wheel too of course. Luckily it was on a strait-away and I didn't loose control, and had the presence of mind to very rapidly depress the clutch.

The problem seemed very similar to me to a problem I had a while back on my Honda Nova. As in that case I paused for a couple of minutes, and then limped home the remaining couple of kilometers at low speed, with several further attempts by the engine to lock up and die.

As in the case of the Honda, the mechanic has said the culprit was inadequate 2-stroke oil flow, and he adjusted it. I've used it for about a day but haven't had the nerve to get it back up to 100+ kph. Same with the Nova - hard to get up the nerve to do again what locked up the engine in the past (but in the case of the LS 125, driving at 100+ kph is what the bike's all about, unlike the Nova, which makes a lot more sense at 75-80).

I'd advise you stop using the oil pump and premix in the tank, it's the only way to be certain and confident that your cylinder is getting sufficient lubricant. Also, only use 100% synthetic, switching to synthetic alone will make a world of difference.

I generally use PTT's challenger synthetic for normal riding, and Veloil QP50 for 'spirited' riding :)

You won't find synthetic at the gas stations, you have to buy it from sangchai etc.

Chances are you will need to change your rings now, it sounds like you had a partial seizure (or a few), rings are probably nackered and will be prone to seizing now.

Chances are you will need to change your rings now, it sounds like you had a partial seizure (or a few), rings are probably nackered and will be prone to seizing now.

Yikes. Not much chance of that as I just rebuilt the engine (new piston,etc) a few weeks ago (~1,600 baht). No budget for another rebuild for a long while.

Thanks for your advice though.

Yep I would have filled my pants if that had happened to me..... as you said lucky you were on a straightway. Wouldnt have been nice going around a sharp corner. Good reaction with the clutch too!

I hope the engine isnt damaged too much and as another post said, maybe premixing will be the way to go. Either that or get the oil pump checked/overhauled.

Havent seen or found an LS 125 in CM yet and are kicking myself as a few months back a foreign tourist offered me his bike for about 5k. At the time I wasnt too interested in 2 strokes but thinking about it I think the bike on offer was an LS so I should have jumped at it.

Agree that Mad Max is an awesome movie to view rat bikes, good movie too....in the days when Mel Gibson wasnt quite so 'strange'. Still even with that I do like his acting.