Moving in with a Thai woman

I'm considering asking my Thai girlfriend move in with me and was wondering what, if any, legal ramifications would come of this.

In some (most?) Western countries, simply living with your partner under the same roof for a period of time constitutes a "defacto relationship" and entitles the woman to half the man's assets (for example) in the event of a split - or something along those lines.

Is there anything like that in Thailand? The property in this case would just be rented by me, and we are not married and have no children.

Nope...no defacto relationship/common law marriage laws apply in Thailand. Many, many folks just live together...many, many folks just have a Buddhist ceremony when they get married but unless they register the marriage with the govt it ain't much different than just living together in the eyes of the govt. Many types prefer the ceremony "only" method of marriage with no registration with the govt as it allows them to quickly and easily part ways. See this webpage for more info.

• Like 1

This LOS, don't worry be happy. Your problem is not the law or legal rights, is the GF. Make sure when you break up also change the roof

Ain't that the truth...and it don't matter whether you were living together under the same roof or lived in separate locations and just saw each other a lot during the week. It's always up to the unhappy (pissed) person as to how rough they want to make the breakup for the other person....that could be after being boyfriend/girlfriend for a month or for years...and of course, a child from the relation can really complicate things. But hey, probably a third or more of the worldwide adult population just live together....I saw one new article a couple months go where in many countries the number of folks living together exceed the number married.

Try moving in with her. That will be a real eyeopener, but keep your old place so you have someplace to return to when things don’t work out.thumbsup.gif

You mean, if things don't work out. right? RIGHT???

• Like 1

Looking at a worst case scenario - things go bad. I move out. I lose the rest of the month's rent plus potentially the deposit, itself equal usually to a month's rent. All up, around 500 or 600 bucks worth, in addition to all the hassle involved in packing up and moving all my stuff some place else.

Try moving in with her. That will be a real eyeopener, but keep your old place so you have someplace to return to when things don’t work out.thumbsup.gif

You mean, if things don't work out. right? RIGHT???

I choose my words with great care.biggrin.pngwink.png

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 2

Oh boy. Anyone have any stories where they moved in with the Thai girlfriend and it all worked out great?

Sure...me and my wife (formerly girlfriend)...decades and decades of marriage followed and are still continuing.

Ask her to complete an income and expenditure statement prior to moving in and listen carefully, DON'T ASSUME, and you will get some hints of how much it will cost you.

If a big age difference is involved, think very carefully indeed.

• Like 1

Ask her to complete an income and expenditure statement prior to moving in and listen carefully, DON'T ASSUME, and you will get some hints of how much it will cost you.

Ah heck, be a romantic and just have her sign a prenuptial also.tongue.png

• Like 2

Looking at a worst case scenario - things go bad. I move out. I lose the rest of the month's rent plus potentially the deposit, itself equal usually to a month's rent. All up, around 500 or 600 bucks worth, in addition to all the hassle involved in packing up and moving all my stuff some place else.

NO no no. It will also be your responsibility to get her out of there and that isn't easy.

Never let a gal move in with you. Move in with her or have her keep her own place too. If she moves in with you and you try to get rid of her all hell could break loose. She can give you all kinds of trouble. I know of guys who have had to pay big bucks to entice a gal to move.

• Like 1

Your home country will recognise the de-facto relationship, even though your living in Thailand. Time living together is taken into consideration when making spouse or future spouse visa applications.

I guess that means if she really wanted to go you in a break up, she could do it in your home country.

Edited by Jasun

Age difference is only a couple of years. We're both in our late twenties.

Also, FWIW, she's not a bar girl and has always worked regular jobs up until recently. The idea of her moving in is to save money (hers, not mine ;)). Theoretically, she goes back to work and spends her own money (outside of the rent, which I cover).

Edited by 314zuri

Your home country will recognise the de-facto relationship, even though your living in Thailand. Time living together is taken into consideration when making spouse or future spouse visa applications.

I guess that means if she really wanted to go you in a break up, she could do it in your home country.

But that would only be possible if we lived together for whatever qualifying period of time and then both moved (visited?) my home country?

Age difference is only a couple of years. We're both in our late twenties.

Also, FWIW, she's not a bar girl and has always worked regular jobs up until recently. The idea of her moving in is to save money (hers, not mine wink.png). Theoretically, she goes back to work and spends her own money (outside of the rent, which I cover).

So currently, her income is zero and expenditure ???? maybe 20,000 a month but we don't know. You need to discover

i) the monthly expenditure figure

ii) her liquid assets

iii) how she manages to cover the shortfall.

Then come back to me with this info and I will be able to provide the next steps. Glad to assist.

I can you give you a rough idea based on what I already know.

i) She's not a profligate spender, just food/rent/gas/the occasional night out. Without the rent, probably under 10k a month

ii) Less than zero. The liquid assets have gone down the drain.

iii) Credit cards

Yeah, I know the last couple of points sound bad, which is largely why I'm reluctant to give her the green light. I want to help her out, but I also don't want to put myself in a bad position or end up being treated like an ATM.

I'm pretty sure this is the first and last time she'll allow herself to get into this position (ie with a credit card debt), and can honestly say she's an intelligent, decent girl who just had a bit of bad luck (which I'd prefer not to get into)...and, oh god this is starting to sound cliched.