floating laminate floor over carpet

pitchag

HI Guys I would like some advice my condo has a thin well glued down carpet I would like to lay a floating laminate floor over the carpet I know when laying over concrete they recommend a thin foam underlay I wondering if the carpet would be suitable as the underlay. I am not looking forward to trying to get the carpet up I have done it before and it is a nightmare of a job.

Thank you for any advice in advance

We had a minor spill of liquid on our laminate flooring. A few gallons. It was cleaned up quickly and happened when a vendor was at our home doing some work. The floor is now buckled and ruined. We're having to replace the entire floor.

Our laminate is 7 years old. I'm sure it isn't the most expensive, but our previous maid used a bit too much water when mopping the floor and you can see warping in many areas.

We're removing the laminate and replacing it with tiles. Tiles retain the coolness from use of the AC, whereas laminate doesn't.

I have done this twice.Once over a kitchen carpet and once in a moterhome. It worked best on the glued down thinner carpet. As stated above don't let the maid pour water on it.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In the UK laminate I always used the rubber underlay however it may not be available here you may find something ..do not cut it flush to the wall always leave a small gap or the floor will buckle when it settles...there is a special tool for tightening the joints..pm me if you need info on it...cleaning I always did it myself..on hands and knees with a well rung out cloth..I would never trust a maid to do it..

Laying laminate flooring over a thin carpet should be ok.

It's important though to ensure that the floor is level with no high and low waves or bumps

otherwise the laminate will not lay flat and move when weight is applied to it.

There are many different levels of quality when choosing laminate flooring,

in the thickness usually (8mm) or higher is better.

The way it is put together old style (glued) new style (clipped).

In UK, you can buy waterproof laminate for kitchens and bathrooms

(much more durable) not sure if available in Thailand, but worth buying if available.

a thin well glued down carpet I would like to lay a floating laminate floor over the carpet

I think you are in experimental territory with this. It might well work depending on how the water absorbed is the carpet. If it is too hygroscopic than you might have a (wet) sponge under your floor (in case of spillage or strong condensation).

Edited by Morakot