Phuket Opinion: Promoting Islam for Phuket youths, tourists

Lite Beer

Phuket Opinion: Promoting Islam for Phuket youths, tourists
Phuket Gazette -
phuketnews_Maroj_Thongyon_66_has_been_a_
Maroj Thongyon, 66, has been a member of the committee of the Phuket Islamic Council since 1990. Photo: Irfarn Jamdukor

Maroj Thongyon, a 66-year-old Phuket native, has been a member of the committee of the Phuket Islamic Council since 1990 and is president of the Foundation Nurul Islamiah. Two years ago he took the position of Imam at the Nurulislam mosque in Patong. Here, he talks about the loss of cultural identity among Phuket Muslim youth and the opportunity to market Phuket as a halal-tourist destination.

PHUKET: Phuket is a very popular destination for tourists from around the world. Our island needs to promote its Muslim heritage by promoting halal food shops, marking sites important to Muslim history on the island and by noting mosques on guide books and maps.

Thai-Muslims compose about 30 per cent of Phuket’s population. Many Muslim communities on the island are historically located in Cherng Talay, Kamala, Rawai, Baan Ko En and more isolated areas across the island.

The members of these communities traditionally were fishermen or orchard gardeners, and unlike most of the Thai-Muslims in Yala, Narathiwat, and Pattani, Phuket’s population speaks Thai, not Malay.

There are many cultural Muslim traditions kept alive in Phuket, with celebrations being observed regularly.

The fact that we celebrate Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, as well as many other holidays, allows Muslims around the world to come to a tropical paradise and feel welcomed into communities that understand their needs and can cater to them.

For example, Eid al-Adha is the holiday observed at the end of the Hajj, the annual Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca, which is one of the most significant religious observances in Islam. For those who are unable to go to Mecca, there are morning prayers held here in Phuket.

In Phuket, we maintain halal. The term “halal” is used to designate any object or action that is permissible to use or engage in according to Islamic Law. The term does not cover just food and drink, but all matters of daily life.

These traditions and our culture need to be preserved and advertised because they can attract tourists but mainly because we need to re-inforce the values of our culture in the youth of today.

I think youths are not aware enough of the importance of the rules, rituals and practices that compose religion.

They lack the understanding, knowledge and education about religion and its importance. In many ways society is now pushing them away from religious understanding.

I am worried that one day they may look at religions and cultures and see nothing of value in them – it is a very serious problem.

Islamic education needs to be instilled in educational institutions. We have received very positive feedback when discussing this idea with educational institutions.

It also must be presented to young people by members of their family, religious leaders and relevant organizations.

I hope in the future the new generation of Phuket Muslims will be more aware of their Islamic heritage and be stricter in their observations of halal customs.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Opinion-Promoting-Islam-for-Phuket-youths-tourists-21484.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-30

'These traditions and our culture need to be preserved and advertised because they can attract tourists but mainly because we need to re-inforce the values of our culture in the youth of today.'

Oh yeh.

No comment on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

two typical racist anti Islamic posts. I would prefer Muslim tourists any day to the tourist rif raf that come to Phuket. It is the latter that are scaring tourists away.

So. You can say tourist rif raf ( non muslim presumably) but we can't reply?

• Like 1

From the article in the Gazette written by Irfarn Jamdukor:

The term “halal” is used to designate any object or action that is permissible to use or engage in according to Islamic Law. The term does not cover just food and drink, but all matters of daily life.

From Wikipedia:

Halal is an Arabic word meaning "lawful" or "permissible." The term covers not only food and drink, but also all matters of daily life.

Interestingly similar.

two typical racist anti Islamic posts. I would prefer Muslim tourists any day to the tourist rif raf that come to Phuket. It is the latter that are scaring tourists away.

Define rif raf? go to Saudi for a vacatoin & tell me how much fun you have!

• Like 1

The term “halal” is used to designate any object or action that is permissible to use or engage in according to Islamic Law. The term does not cover just food and drink, but all matters of daily life.

From Wikipedia:

Halal is an Arabic word meaning "lawful" or "permissible." The term covers not only food and drink, but also all matters of daily life.

Interestingly similar.

So this would mean that many normal matters of daily life are Un-Halal

From Wikipedia:

Interestingly similar.

Drinking ya dong, smoking yabba, visiting massage parlours? yeah probably :)

It makes very much sense to promote Phuket as a Muslim holiday destination, because of the large Muslim minority group on the island, and because of the many tourist facilities already being in place. Just like tourists from Western countries,Russia, China, India and you name it, the vast majority of the potential Muslim visitors would be decent people who don't create any problems and altogether spend a lot of money.

Edited by keestha
  • Like 2

I have been in the hospitality trade for 20 yrs, 4 in Thailand. In my experience, the potential for creating money from these tourists will be very limited. ONLY certain venues will make money or more to the point will have the opportunity to do so

I think the original post may have more to do with Muslim businesses in Phuket struggling to make money more than anything else.

Could be wrong.

But I'll tell you this. If there were no acts of brutal and sordid terrorism in the name of islam in countries where the 'tourist rif raf' come from, they might sell a few more suits and halal food.

• Like 1

From Wikipedia:

Interestingly similar.

Or more simply said, they are Haraam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haraam

Don't get me wrong, I am not "Muslim Bashing", but just out of curiosity, what percentage of the population of Phuket is Muslim? And where did the Muslim influences come from and how long ago?

Most of what you ask is right there in the OP.smile.png

"So this would mean that many normal matters of daily life are Un-Halal"

Muslims calls it Haram and that will cover most of the pleasures on a holiday!

Edited by Puma

I don't visit Phuket. It is my small protest of the tuktuk mafia, the taxi mafia and the rampant farang price escalation. However, if the Muslims visiting Phuket are anything like the majority of Muslims visiting Bangkok and Pattaya, Halal is thrown out the door upon entering the kingdom. Alcohol, drugs and violation of the food restrictions is much more the norm.

• Like 1

I don't visit Phuket. It is my small protest of the tuktuk mafia, the taxi mafia and the rampant farang price escalation. However, if the Muslims visiting Phuket are anything like the majority of Muslims visiting Bangkok and Pattaya, Halal is thrown out the door upon entering the kingdom. Alcohol, drugs and violation of the food restrictions is much more the norm.

I do love a bit of selective religion! Allah has a blind spot for Bangla, Nana, Soi cowboy, Walking street..........

But they still keep their ninja covered wife on a tight leash, even when walking around Bangla road...

It makes very much sense to promote Phuket as a Muslim holiday destination, because of the large Muslim minority group on the island, and because of the many tourist facilities already being in place. Just like tourists from Western countries,Russia, China, India and you name it, the vast majority of the potential Muslim visitors would be decent people who don't create any problems and altogether spend a lot of money.

I am sorry but I think you are totally dillusional and fail to grasp the perception of how Islam conducts itself on a global basis. Phuket has prostituted itself into the condition that it is today in the persuit of the tourist Dollar or Dihram which has done little or nothing to engender the basic concepts of an acceptable Halal environment.

Furthermore the majority of the muslim population hail from other southern provences and you would need to be deaf dumb and blind not to see what is going on in Yala, Narritiwat and Pattani, fueld by these decent people who don't create problems.

Also the majority of foreign Muslims coming to Phuket as tourists do not behave in any manner in compliance with their religious beliefs.

Phuket has always had a Muslim minority group, they are natives.

Troubles in the deep South provinces are only in the east coast provinces of Pattani, Narathiwat, Yala, and to a lesser extend Songhkla. Once ever, the people there had their own state, the Sultanate of Pattani. For quite a few of them their native language is not Thai, but Malayu, which is closely related to Bahasa Malaysia.

In the predominantly Muslim deep South west coast provinces of Krabi and Satun, there never have been any troubles at all.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I am not "Muslim Bashing", but just out of curiosity, what percentage of the population of Phuket is Muslim? And where did the Muslim influences come from and how long ago?

Not sure how accurate (or not) but I'd always heard that in Phuket it's 30%. And I always heard that there are more mosques on the island than Buddhist temples.

I am sorry but I think you are totally dillusional and fail to grasp the perception of how Islam conducts itself on a global basis. Phuket has prostituted itself into the condition that it is today in the persuit of the tourist Dollar or Dihram which has done little or nothing to engender the basic concepts of an acceptable Halal environment.

Furthermore the majority of the muslim population hail from other southern provences and you would need to be deaf dumb and blind not to see what is going on in Yala, Narritiwat and Pattani, fueld by these decent people who don't create problems.

Also the majority of foreign Muslims coming to Phuket as tourists do not behave in any manner in compliance with their religious beliefs.

Phuket has always had a Muslim minority group, they are natives.

Troubles in the deep South provinces are only in the east coast provinces of Pattani, Narathiwat, Yala, and to a lesser extend Songhkla. Once ever, the people there had their own state, the Sultanate of Pattani. For quite a few of them their native language is not Thai, but Malayu, which is closely related to Bahasa Malaysia.

In the predominantly Muslim deep South west coast provinces of Krabi and Satun, there never have been any troubles at all.

In the exclusively Buddhist North of Thailand there has never been any trouble either.

Same same or different.