Recommended barber in CM

neronimo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been going to this place called To-B-1 in Central Airport Plaza. They have their stores all over the place in Bangkok. Quite famous amongst locals.

4 years ago it was about 300 per cut. Great service.

But then it increased to 350.

Now I pay 450 for a cut.

But knowing that I'd have to pay £40 for the slightly worse service in Central London, I'm quite happy with To-B-1.

I've been going to this place called To-B-1 in Central Airport Plaza. They have their stores all over the place in Bangkok. Quite famous amongst locals.

Now I pay 450 for a cut.

But knowing that I'd have to pay £40 for the slightly worse service in Central London, I'm quite happy with To-B-1.

Yeah that's my point! If you want to have a bog standard 5 minute Thai "job" in a low-rent village barber shop, then yes, it can be a lot cheaper. But 200B (US or Au$7) for a decent style-cut in an air-conditioned inner city shop, with a very pleasant English-speaking lady, and a free face and neck massage thrown in, is dirt cheap. This is especially so when you compare it with what you would have to pay (with only half the service) in the West. If 200B is expensive, there is a lot more expensive out there, as exemplified by inferalman7.

and a free face and neck massage thrown in, is dirt cheap. This is especially so when you compare it with what you would have to pay in the West.

In Switzerland we pay 2,000B for a haircut in a home-based "under the counter" business. In Singapore, there are "cheap and cheerful" chains charging 200B per cut.....but a decent "scissor cut" even in a public housing estate is 400B. So 200B for a good cut plus face/neck massage is fantastic value.

I wonder if she does ladies' hair. We are 2 women who sport short & simple cuts. From TV we learnt of Absolute Salon (near kad Suan Kaew) but we were not impressed at all with their so-called stylist cuts @ 2,000+ Baht! We will definitely visit this lady on our next visit.

I am sure you can pay plenty in central London or Tokyo, but we are not living there are we?

For myself I find 200b a touch on the high side for Thailand but a reasonable hair cut nonetheless.

Sent from my Liquid MT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Now I pay 450 for a cut.

Yeah that's my point! If you want to have a bog standard 5 minute Thai "job" in a low-rent village barber shop, then yes, it can be a lot cheaper. But 200B (US or Au$7) for a decent style-cut in an air-conditioned inner city shop, with a very pleasant English-speaking lady, and a free face and neck massage thrown in, is dirt cheap. This is especially so when you compare it with what you would have to pay (with only half the service) in the West. If 200B is expensive, there is a lot more expensive out there, as exemplified by inferalman7.

I don't care what anybody pays for a haircut in New York, Sydney or Amsterdam. I'm in Chiang Mai and get a very good cut for 60 baht from a barber in Moonmuang Soi 2. I have a full head of hair and am always pleased with the result. I also see young Thai men getting 'stylish' not 'bog standard' cuts there.

If you want to enjoy your 'very pleasant' lady that's fine but don't knock the very professional 'barbers' who charge more reasonable prices.

• 4 months later...

Thanks to everyone for the recommending the lovely Nat at Sunshine barber. She is amazing. A true artist, or maybe a frustrated brain surgeon. The look of concentration on her face as she works is priceless. She will snip hairs one-by-one til she gets it perfect. And don't even think about moving your head while she is cutting your hair. How nice to encounter someone who really makes an effort and takes such pride in their craft. A first-class haircut, pay her whatever she asks for.

• 4 months later...

O-B-ONE in Nimman Soi 9 - shampoo, scissor cut, shampoo again + blow dry is 200B for gents! Good deal and good staff but busy!

can second that be going there for years very happy with the service,but as you say can be very busy with many young thais,very rarely see farang there,after all the years going there i do get a bit of quick service,propaly the tip though.

I got bored of Thai barbers' inability to use clippers and bought a pair myself instead. No. 4 on top and no.2 going into no. 3 at the sides and back. Probably a bit of a low-rent option for some of the fashionistas on the board but it suits me. I never really enjoyed having my hair cut in the UK either.....

Edited by inthepink

There is a barber shop down near Chiang Mai Gate, on the intersection that leads back into the old town, just around from the market. There is a small one way system before it becomes 2 way. Like a previous post, take a photo of what you want. Average haircut 60 baht.

I get a flat top and all was good from first visit. never go anywhere else now.

Now haircut is 70Baht for Thai or resident, 100Baht for "tourist"

Who is worried about the difference of 30 Baht for a haircut between 70-100 Baht?

Maybe local (Thai) has smaller 'head of hair' than 'big hairy tourist Farang'!

There is a barber shop down near Chiang Mai Gate, on the intersection that leads back into the old town, just around from the market. There is a small one way system before it becomes 2 way. Like a previous post, take a photo of what you want. Average haircut 60 baht.

I get a flat top and all was good from first visit. never go anywhere else now.

Now haircut is 70Baht for Thai or resident, 100Baht for "tourist"

so, I finally made my choice out of all the recommendations above and I chose Sunshine Barbers,

as I sat down in the hairdressers chair before the hair cut, I have to admit that I was wondering if this would be bad haircut number 4!

but I needn't have worried as Nat is a lovely person and a great hairdresser, the haircut was one of the best, if not the best I've ever had in chiang mai

the shop also does nails too, if your into that sort of thing

thank you to lamemjay!

attachicon.gifIMG_20130702_143204.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20130702_143228.jpg

It didn't happen unless you post a photo of the cut...

A truly professional and cheap place is just outside the moat, about 100 meters north of Chang Puak Gate. Where the food market is in the evening.

The shop features six cabins separated by curtains, fully airconditioned and you get the full treatment incl.welcome drink, hot towel and a massage to your neck and arms.

I normally have a simple clipper cut for now 100 baht (went up from 80).Still good value.

What is the tipping etiquette in Thailand....tip or not, how much and how do you do it?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

This is an interesting question (to me at least!) I always felt like I ought to tip but whenever I did in basic barber's shops (the kind that charge 40-60 baht for a haircut) I got the impression that the barbers were slightly insulted rather than pleased. In the type of shops that charge 250 baht ++ and cater to foreigners they may well pretend that it is the norm in Thailand but I'm fairly certain it isn't.

@ Beng For a simple clipper cut I can't tell the difference between a 40 baht shop and a 100 baht shop (in terms of the results) so I'd choose the former if I still used barbers / hairdressers.

Edited by inthepink

Anyone had a "650 Baht" Chalachol haircut from Promenada? Be interested to know if they got "satisfaction".

Never seen a soul in there myself.

there is one place in the Promenada which charges 2,500 Bath for a men's haircut! never saw a soul in there myself.

update: the wife was in Promenada yesterday, she just said that the shop with the 2500 Bath men's haircut is closed up and out of business. no surprise there!

having said that, there are many, many places where 650 Bath is common in Bangkok and they are filled with Thai men.

Edited by Oscar2

• 3 weeks later...

I found this thread when looking for a good barber to give me an authentic "gentleman's cut". I'm sure some of the guys recommended here are excellent but i just wanted to share with future browsers an absolutely fantastic find:

The Cutler Barbershop and Tattoo Parlour

https://www.facebook.com/THECUTLERBARBER (booking recommended)

Its run by an awesome couple of guys from Bangkok, X and Si, who went to Australia to learn the trade. They have now inherited a family business (X's grandfather) and have put together a fantastic vintage barbershop.

I had a cut there yesterday and it was among the best I've ever had. I've paid small fortunes for haircuts in the past (living in London), and have an excellent barber now in Bournemouth and these guys stack up with the best I've experienced.

250BHT for a very skilled gentleman's barber including a cut-throat razor edging is, in my opinion, an absolute bargain. Nice vibe there too, with the tattoo parlour and cafe they attract a nice crowd (often their friends) and the atmosphere is really nice.

- They also sell some top brand pomades, including the popular Layrite and Dutch brand Reuzel (which I'll be going back for) smile.png

I found this thread when looking for a good barber to give me an authentic "gentleman's cut". I'm sure some of the guys recommended here are excellent but i just wanted to share with future browsers an absolutely fantastic find:

The Cutler Barbershop and Tattoo Parlour

https://www.facebook.com/THECUTLERBARBER (booking recommended)

Its run by an awesome couple of guys from Bangkok, X and Si, who went to Australia to learn the trade. They have now inherited a family business (X's grandfather) and have put together a fantastic vintage barbershop.

I had a cut there yesterday and it was among the best I've ever had. I've paid small fortunes for haircuts in the past (living in London), and have an excellent barber now in Bournemouth and these guys stack up with the best I've experienced.

250BHT for a very skilled gentleman's barber including a cut-throat razor edging is, in my opinion, an absolute bargain. Nice vibe there too, with the tattoo parlour and cafe they attract a nice crowd (often their friends) and the atmosphere is really nice.

- They also sell some top brand pomades, including the popular Layrite and Dutch brand Reuzel (which I'll be going back for) smile.png

what is "cut-throat razor edging"?

and where is a Thai barber (for men) who specializes in cutting hair with razor, rather than with scissors and hair clippers? Thanks!

They can finish the fade (to the edges of your hair cut) with a razor blade giving a very sharp and precise hairline (for a few days until it begins to grow out). I'm not sure that this finish comes as standard, but i didn't have to ask for it. It seemed X was pretty into the style himself and took a lot of pride in making it perfect.

Not sure about getting your hair cut with a razor, but maybe you could ask the boys at The Cutler if that's what you're after?!

• 1 month later...

Sunshine barbers? Still there

Go to Wawee Coffee corner on Ratchadamnoen Road

Diagonally opposite is a wat. At the rear of that wat is Soi 5

The shop is right next to Peppermint Coffee on LHS as you go from Ratchadamnoen Road (Thats the Sunday walking street market road)