French man 'scammed' of 276,000 Baht by Thai bride

webfact

20.000.- Baht for a Ticket to France? Not even One way easy possible, no ideas of the difficult Visa ways to get a Schengen Visa to EU?

Started already with unrealistic sums and ideas!

Normal would even have been if he had to pay a SIN SOD in the Hundreds of Thousands possible Millions of Baht.

He really came away cheap!

And why he left Thailand so fast, or Asia, he could have after his 30 days expired used a Land border to get 14 days more to try to fulfill his SEX dreams! tongue.png

I think he had to go back working to look for more money for the "bride" facepalm.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Sebald is, no doubt, a donkey, but the world (those who succumb to 'the fever') needs people like him to warn others.

I applaud him for having his pic and story published, and just hopefully that will save some others from the same loss.

I was also duped for more than 276,000 baht (actually almost 1.5 MM baht) by a thai girl who promoted herself as decent, educated, and honest. Come to find out that she was already talking about marriage with multiple farangs when she and I were engaged. Am I upset about it? Yes. Do I regret it? Absolutely not. The sex was good, and I am glad that I did not end up marrying her and divorcing her after few months where she will have a chance to take more money from me.

I don't actually see how he was scammed. She promised to marry him, and she did. OK - only a country wedding, but a wedding and ceremony nonetheless. He promised to give her gifts and money, and he did.

Surely now it's purely a marital disagreement over sex (or lack thereof)?

Both parties fulfilled their obligations - he's even got wedding photos to prove it. Assuming she used her correct name and didn't hide behind a false identity, all seems fine to me. Just another dense Falang that was too eager to put his hand in his wallet without doing due diligence. coffee1.gif

Whe you have something to say that makes sense, let us know.

Bit it is too bad that this will hurt future relationships since the lack of trust in Thai woman will only get worse. I do agree he got off easy considering she could have hurt him much worse. Hope they nab her for fraud.

I think it's worth adding the last 2 paragraphs of the story to this thread...

Recently, Udon Thani also received report concerning another alleged online dating scam. Ms. Ratri Bhodiraj, 39, visited the police on 20 June and told them she was scammed by an American individual she met in online dating site.

According to Ms. Ratri, an American with the name Mr. Jason Smith who lives in California told her he wanted to marry her but she had to wire him 90,200 baht for procedure fee, which she did. The wedding never took place, Ms. Ratri said.

totster smile.png

Well, you never hear these sides of the story.. wonder if much of this goes on?

All the time. Man comes, says what he has to to get laid, and then off to the next--sound familiar? Everytime I hear of one of my wife's friends hooking up with a farang they meet. I shutter. "Slip out the back Jack, make a new plan Stan" they bring them by so they can ask me and my wife what we think. I Stay Out of It.

Edited by bunnydrops

i am amazed at how many people are saying that a guy that was obviously duped should just walk away and feel lucky it was only 300k. what is wrong with people? have you really been here long enough that this is acceptable behavior? yes the thai police system is a joke and nothing will come of it, and yes this has been done a million times before. the prior two points dont make it right, and if you are in the belief that this is ok then i suggest you go back and check your moral compass.

• Like 2

"earning around 400,000 baht per month"

The cheap B&*%rd... then 276,000 is like two weeks pay,

and he had all that exotic fun and adventure and two nights of woopee...

Why do these foreigners give the rest of us such a cheap charlie reputation?

biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

reportedly, there was no whoopie...

I think it's worth adding the last 2 paragraphs of the story to this thread...

Recently, Udon Thani also received report concerning another alleged online dating scam. Ms. Ratri Bhodiraj, 39, visited the police on 20 June and told them she was scammed by an American individual she met in online dating site.

According to Ms. Ratri, an American with the name Mr. Jason Smith who lives in California told her he wanted to marry her but she had to wire him 90,200 baht for procedure fee, which she did. The wedding never took place, Ms. Ratri said.

totster smile.png

Well, you never hear these sides of the story.. wonder if much of this goes on?

Scams are a part of using online dating sites. Its really not news at all. Many sites warn people not to send money to anyone...but they still do. Stupid is as stupid does. As for the frenchman, he was genuine, and actually came to Thailand, met the family, did the customary "throwing of money for the family's sake" and got duped. This is much more emotionally traumatic for that man. I suggest moving in with the lady before marriage and seeing if she can set up a proper budget. The longer you stay with her, the more you will learn about her previous relationships, credit owed, children, expectations of the family. Its all about self-preservation. Nobody is looking out for yourself except you. If you cannot spend time with the future wife and love of your internet experience, then hire a detective agency to ask her out on a "date" and record her reactions. Another way is to open a second account on her online dating site and use a different name and photo. Contact her and ask if she is "available". Be prepared to cancel your monthly payments and flight after she says she is "still looking"

i am amazed at how many people are saying that a guy that was obviously duped should just walk away and feel lucky it was only 300k. what is wrong with people? have you really been here long enough that this is acceptable behavior? yes the thai police system is a joke and nothing will come of it, and yes this has been done a million times before. the prior two points dont make it right, and if you are in the belief that this is ok then i suggest you go back and check your moral compass.

Well in Thailand, this is the way it is...

Taking money from a farang is moral for most thais.

Whether we agree or not...

Edited by Andre0720

If you ask a western girl to marry you, she says yes, you pay for the party, clothes, limo and so on. But she changes her mind and says "no" to the priest.

Can you report her for fraud? cheesy.gif

Uh, yes -

"There can be no action for breach of promise unless a contract to marry has been made. There are no formal requirements regarding the contract. It need not to be evidenced by writing and the law prescribes no particular form of words. A promise by one person to marry another is not binding unless and until that other also promises to marry the first person. Mutual promises to marry may be implied from the conduct of the parties. A declaration of intention to marry another made to a third person will not constitute a promise unless communicated to the other person on the authority of the person making the declaration. While it is not necessary that the mutual promises should be concurrent, both should be made within a reasonable time of one another. An action for breach of promise to marry may be taken by a man as well as a woman. In modern times there have been instances of successful actions by men."

http://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/consultation%20papers/wpBreachofPromise.htm

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

After checking my "Moral Compass" , I noticed an extreme magnetic anomaly in Thailand, as it only spins wildly in its efforts to discern "The True Moral North !!!"

After checking my "Moral Compass" , I noticed an extreme magnetic anomaly in Thailand, as it only spins wildly in its efforts to discern "The True Moral North !!!"

Seeing as you had trouble with your compass, I decided to consult my Tea leaves for advice for this poor guy.

My reading was the following .......

1) Money rules even for fools

2)Love is an Isaan business, get used to it.

.Reality is, that all of the friends of this girl are considering that the number 276000 is the lucky number of the week. The Lottery is a huge addiction up here in Udon, and if you were to look at the betting charts, you will probably see many combinations of that number being played. True. True. True Perhaps many fortunes will come to these people...

If you ask a western girl to marry you, she says yes, you pay for the party, clothes, limo and so on. But she changes her mind and says "no" to the priest.

Can you report her for fraud? cheesy.gif

Uh, yes -

"There can be no action for breach of promise unless a contract to marry has been made. There are no formal requirements regarding the contract. It need not to be evidenced by writing and the law prescribes no particular form of words. A promise by one person to marry another is not binding unless and until that other also promises to marry the first person. Mutual promises to marry may be implied from the conduct of the parties. A declaration of intention to marry another made to a third person will not constitute a promise unless communicated to the other person on the authority of the person making the declaration. While it is not necessary that the mutual promises should be concurrent, both should be made within a reasonable time of one another. An action for breach of promise to marry may be taken by a man as well as a woman. In modern times there have been instances of successful actions by men."

http://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/consultation%20papers/wpBreachofPromise.htm

Wow, I`m shocked. "The gold digger law."

Thank you for educating me. thumbsup.gif

If nothing else by going to the police and making a complaint may deter others from trying the same. Word gets around, and despite the BIB being largely useless the general populace don't like to have anything to do with them if they can avoid it. I doubt very much whether the complainant will have any success, but if deters even one money grabber then something will have been achieved.

if the girl was in fact a ladyboy

than this is no less than fraud ...

so everybody heres does not mind to pay 300.000 baht for this scam ?

karma, you know .... it might bite you in the ass

today you feel happy with your wife/girlfriend, everything is bless and bliss, but tomorrow might be another story ...

and than you can come to cry here and shame yourselves

if 300.000 baht is nothing for you, i will PM you my bank account

thanks in advance

• Like 1

Please, please, who in their right mind would send 90,200 baht to someone they have never met called Mr Smith?

There is one born every minute:

Down my way there is a Thai family. The guy has a very attractive daughter in her late 30s. As far as I know, she is not and has never been a bar girl but has her own business as an exporter of antique goods. All sounds good and would appear as an ideal catch for any discerning farang. But this woman is something like the black widow spider. Over the years she has had a string of profiles on dating websites. She always aims for farang guys in they’re 50s and early 60s because she believes that guys in this age group are more likely to have money and be more desperate for a younger female companion. After the first couple of dates she invites the farangs to meet her family and some of the locals, than the process for extracting these men out of a lot of money begins, with stories that she requires money for her ailing business, the father needs a stomach operation and so on. Within the last 2 years the parents have had a new home built, new vehicles purchased and so on with the monies obtained by scamming these farangs. It is well known by the locals how this family have acquired their newfound wealth. There was one particular German man that we know gave this woman almost 1.5 million baht before she dumped him. My wife and I have said; one day this woman is going to choose the wrong victim and end up dead.

But seriously, these days I just don`t feel that Thai women make good wife/girlfriend partners anymore and best not to become too deeply involved with them and if you’re an older guy aiming for a much younger Thai women, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

• Like 2

All that money and not an once of common sense,

That girl is a knockout, a 10, and look at him, 60, bald and overweight, what in gods name was he thinking?

Girls are the same all over the world, you're never going to convince me that here in Thailand, girls like

to hook up with older men for any other reason than money.

That being said I don't like to see people geting ripped off but come on now...

Only 276k?! Shoot, I have had gfs worse than that—and friends in ozi, with the ozi wives!!! (house, car, dog...). But seriously, that sux. Good luck with the cops. Next time try before you buy.

Thats why I only RENT!!!.......giggle.gif

• Like 1

This time I'm on the gal's side. As GSrnz posted , both sides lived up to their promises. The lady no doubt realised during the courtship she had a real live one on the line but when she reeled him in and had a good look at him she quickly threw him back as inedible. Both can move on: she to fry bigger fish and he to go from being a f--kwit to just being a dimwit.

So Do I = My former Thai sis in law fell for the same thing, A Frenchman made contact thru a Thai Dating site - he flew over after a few months of constant contact and they agreed to get Married. He showed up, middle age, not bad looking but 'smelled really bad' all the time, 10 mins after a shower, he still smelled, this joker gave her 500,000Baht and after spending about 100K on both of them, she called off the wedding, couldn't stand to sleep with him........and gave him the money back......what is it about hairy Frenchmen?? they reek!!

The subject of Frenchmen's hygiene is getting off topic, but just google 'Is it true the French don't bathe regularly' plenty of evidence to suggest this is so. I thought travelling on the London Underground was bad enough until I took the Paris Metro.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The subject of Frenchmen's hygiene is getting off topic, but just google 'Is it true the French don't bathe regularly' plenty of evidence to suggest this is so. I thought travelling on the London Underground was bad enough until I took the Paris Metro.

A MINORITY of French people do not bathe regularly. However, according to a recent study, French are the CLEANEST in Europe.

http://www.france24.com/en/20110628-french-are-cleanest-europe-study-hygiene-united-minds-teva-poll-stereotype

By the way, there is also plenty of foreigners (tourists, foreign workers, etc.) in the Paris Metro. I won't make any generalizing assumption about their hygiene, but I am pretty sure that some among them stink. At least, that's certainly the case for this stereotype that you are contributing to propagate, as it seems...

I lived in France for the best part of my professional career, ie Antibes, and believe me my hosts had no intention of ever bathing before evening; standing in a Bank or Post Office queue bore testament to it.

However, hygiene apart, I still maintain that the girl in question did no wrong; She asked .. He gave .. She said thank you ... job done, Good Luck to her and all her fellow Anglers that hook punters with more efficiency than Grizzlys on a Salmon Run.

I'm Lovin it!!!!

• Like 2

I'm a little older than this guy, but in infinitely better shape, and I wouldn't consider for a moment that a woman that much younger would be interested in me for anything other than $$.

He must either have the ego of a movie star or be completely stupid, but I agree with an earlier poster who contends that there is no crime here. She asked for money, he gave it, and even admits to giving her expensive gifts. I fail to see his point.

If I was a young woman I wouldn't want to be laid by a 60+ yo balding, fat man either............unless of course it was a commercial transaction, and that's what it appears to have been in her eyes, but not his.

I quote John McEnroe, "You can't be serious!!"

Edited by F4UCorsair

.Reality is, that all of the friends of this girl are considering that the number 276000 is the lucky number of the week. The Lottery is a huge addiction up here in Udon, and if you were to look at the betting charts, you will probably see many combinations of that number being played. True. True. True Perhaps many fortunes will come to these people...

It already has. One Isaan girl has B276,000 courtesy a gullible French man.

Edited by F4UCorsair