Your first watering hole in phuket , and is still here !

N47HAN

A topic over in the Bangkok forum got me thinking.

What was the first bar i went to in Phuket ?

For me it was december 2004 a place just off Bangla aptly named Thai Bar. Demolished years ago.

What about you guys ? Is the first bar you went into in Phuket still about ? And do you still go there

Clinic bar 1991 NIce english chap named Noel ran it.

Never heard that bar name. Location please.

in the small complex of bars just pass soi foodland ( home of the giriile hutte by the way)

as i recall the bars on the beach road at the entrance to the area were the irish bar and navy bar.

( keep in mind it was 1991)

1993, open air beer bar right at the beach in Patong, at the top of a small bar lined alley. I had not finished my Fanta yet and wanted to walk off briefly to buy something to eat, and had a hard time convincing them I would really be back to finish my drink and pay for it. Sigh.....their daughters might be serving me drinks now.

• Like 1

Hard Rock on Soi Bangla, June 1989. Later moved to Soi Sea Dragon & finally forced to change the name after a lengthy court battle. Bangla was a 2 way dirt road & the Kangaroo Bar was the only bright light after 2am as it used to rock until sunrise.

• Like 1

1987, Paradise Bar and one just next to it. I'm not sure of the name, but the owner's name was Dave. Neither one is still there. In 1988 I went to Dooley's Bar for Pizza, and of course a few years latter Rock Hard for other things.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hard Rock on Soi Bangla, June 1989. Later moved to Soi Sea Dragon & finally forced to change the name after a lengthy court battle. Bangla was a 2 way dirt road & the Kangaroo Bar was the only bright light after 2am as it used to rock until sunrise.

good times had by all in those days!

1987, Paradise Bar and one just next to it. I'm not sure of the name, but the owner's name was Dave. Neither one is still there. In 1988 I went to Dooley's Bar for Pizza, and of course a few years latter Rock Hard for other things.

Think it had the word Sala in it Sala Thai?

I'll say it again, good times had by all in those days!

Paradise was run by Bruce (still in Phk) and Bill

Can't remember - most of them long gone. One of the ones I used to drink at as a tourist (which is still there physically) was the Bounty Bar in Bangla, near to where the Shipwreck Bar is now (it may be the same bar). I haven't had a drink at any of the bars in that location for many years, though (I don't frequent Bangla). Another place, but long gone, was the Hard Rock Café in Bangla, not far from where the Nordic Bungalows used to be. (It was not an 'authorised' Hard Rock establishment, but was a good spot.)

E: Forgot to mention Dirty Nellies in Nanai - started out tiny, but still there.

Edited by Ping

U2 Bar 1992. Still there.

Not anymore, closed and gutted sometime last week or two ago.

Surprise. Not been in Patong in the last months.............then i choose Saloon Bar biggrin.png . Really crazy time before.

are you sure it wasn't rock hard?

Think it had the word Sala in it Sala Thai?
I don't know if I ever knew the name. I do remember there was a girl named Alice, who worked there. She then went on to open her own bar.(Alice Bar) and I believe she and her Thai boyfriend (a policeman) were charged with killing her English husband. Does anyone know if either ever served time?

No.....it was the Hard Rock Cafe which was the last bar open in Bangla and was run by Mac, a good Thai bloke.

His bar is now in Soi Sea Dragon, but, can't remember the name.

He made T-shirts for sale identical to the real Hard Rock Cafe chain. He had to stop and change the name of the bar.

The Anchor Bar in Kata about 9-10 years ago run by Nigel Rogers RIP saved me a heap of dosh as I wanted to do as most newbies with some spare cash RENT a bar. He was the cider distributer for southern Phuket had 2 sidecars Thunderbird 1&2 also thats where you could get great bacon sausages gammon steak etc. Jimmy White even came over and did exhibition matches (When he was sober enough)Those were the days found Rawai by accident and liked it Nikitas still pop in and have lived here ever since. Never liked Freedom although very busy & had draught always knew it would kick off in there as was proven over the years. Good Post Nathan!