Sugarcane

Any cane farmers out there have any indication of the price of cane in the field this year? or if you are transporting yourself, the price at the mill?In our area there is talk of a severe reduction in price.

Next question.

Some local farmers are on a new fad of spraying a hormone to increase production. Anyone know of this or have experience? I have googled it and see that yes they are available and being used, but this is the first I have seen here. The company selling is called Jongang Nano and lists a website that is unavailabe. They are not that cheap.

Thanks for your input.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65swQEshxKg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUN-KWaQ5rLQXmCsX3JoE2QQ

Canada, Poo Yai Ban told me that last harvest season (2012-2013) was 950 +160 B.

The next harvest season (2013-2014) will be 860 + xxx B due to strong value of Bath during signing the contract. for next season..

Thanks for sharing that.

Lot's of shiny (new) farm machinery in the opening video.

There has been much talk of falling cane price but it would be sad to see it fall far enough to affect the farmer who sells to a broker. Most of us are getting only 800 baht per ton in the field as it is. Costs of production are on the ride. This year was HOT and DRY. It was hard to keep the cane growing this year and more expensive. There really is not a lot of profit. On broker is still offering 800 in our area, another has quit, the last most dependable guy hasn't reserved his buy yet as he is waiting on the price. I feel the squeeze coming. We have too much cane to cut and transport ourselves and not enough to warrant buying a large truck, unless we were to try to make a go at buying and transporting other peoples cane. That's a different game and I am not really interested in it.

Thanks for the post Pakdee.

Perhaps you could rent a truck. What kind of yield do you get. We have been planting cassava, but with the costs, we will have a loss I'm sure. We did rent out some land to a cane grower, ฿20,000 for 10 rai for two years. Not much, but at least it's ฿20,000 in my wife's pocket with no expenses. She then used the money to help with the cassava.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What tonnage are you getting per acre? I am really interested. grow cane myself in Oz. how are you paid.....by tonnes of cane or by amount of sugar in cane? and weight of cane

Edited by Mudcrab

To increase production,i used wait till the cane was ready to boot up then spray with paraquat.

That resulted in new tillers emerging as well as the old ones coming back.

The main thing to watch was the cane came back quicker than the weeds.