Swedish citizen denies Hezbollah link in Thai court

webfact

Swedish citizen denies Hezbollah link in Thai court

BANGKOK, July 2, 2013 (AFP) - A Swedish citizen of Lebanese origin on Tuesday denied links to the Hezbollah movement during his trial on charges of breaking Thailand's weapons laws.

Atris Hussein, 48, was arrested in Bangkok in January last year and police later found chemicals that can be used to make a bomb at an address he rented.

According to the charges, Hussein and some unidentified accomplices had packed more than six tonnes of ammonium nitrate into bags.

In March Thai authorities alleged Atris had connections to Hezbollah, a Lebanese Shiite Muslim group that is blacklisted as a terrorist organisation by Washington.

Giving testimony for the first time Atris -- who was handed Swedish citizenship after claiming asylum -- denied the charges and links to Hezbollah.

"I know Hezbollah in general," he told a court.

"But I don't have any relation -- either directly or indirectly -- with the group," he said, adding the movement is widely known in Lebanon and is part of the government.

Ammonium nitrate is commonly used in agriculture, but mixed with other substances can make a bomb. Its possession requires a permit in Thailand.

Prior to his arrest, the United States had warned of a "serious" threat of a terrorist attack on tourist areas in Bangkok.

Two Iranians are currently on trial for suspected involvement in a botched bomb plot against Israeli diplomats in Bangkok in February 2012.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-07-02

• Like 1

Sure, somebody planted it on him. Right? Also it does not stick, Swedish citizen of Lebanese origin would have anything to do with a Lebanese based terrorist organisation. No, I don't buy it.

i agree

At the risk of offending the PC brigade, I hope the Thai police bring out the nutcrackers and find out exactly who this religious creep was conspiring with and catch/neutralize them all asap.

6 tons of ammonium nitrate would be enough to fertilize the Amazon rainforest, or reduce Khao San road to matchwood.

Religious...Creep...Redundant

At the risk of offending the PC brigade, I hope the Thai police bring out the nutcrackers and find out exactly who this religious creep was conspiring with and catch/neutralize them all asap.

6 tons of ammonium nitrate would be enough to fertilize the Amazon rainforest, or reduce Khao San road to matchwood.

Don't know about redundant, more lkie repugnant. Islamic fundamentalism is probably the biggest threat the world faces today, it doesn't matter where you are, who you are, your nationality, affiliation or religious belief, everyone who does not believe as they do is legitimate target to these brainwashed whackos. Who knows what the target was in Thailand or elsewhere, that much packed amonium nitrate would have done a great deal of damage and left a huge hole in the ground if exploded in one place, or if it was to be a multi-pronged co-ordinated attack, alot of holes in alot of places.

Ammonium nitrate (ANFO) is used extensively in open-cut mining, and has left quite a few huge holes in the ground. It is also a very good nitrogen fertilizer. Not saying that was the intended use, and he has broken Thai law, but intended terrorism should require more evidence than simple possession.

Don't know about redundant, more lkie repugnant. Islamic fundamentalism is probably the biggest threat the world faces today, it doesn't matter where you are, who you are, your nationality, affiliation or religious belief, everyone who does not believe as they do is legitimate target to these brainwashed whackos. Who knows what the target was in Thailand or elsewhere, that much packed amonium nitrate would have done a great deal of damage and left a huge hole in the ground if exploded in one place, or if it was to be a multi-pronged co-ordinated attack, alot of holes in alot of places.

Ammonium nitrate (ANFO) is used extensively in open-cut mining, and has left quite a few huge holes in the ground. It is also a very good nitrogen fertilizer. Not saying that was the intended use, and he has broken Thai law, but intended terrorism should require more evidence than simple possession.

I believe the quantity in possession is what may be what has raised questions about it's use, and unless he happened to be farmer from Sweden who needed a whole lot of fertiliser, and who for whatever reason couldn't purchase the required quantity in his new country of residence, then well..........

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sure, somebody planted it on him. Right? Also it does not stick, Swedish citizen of Lebanese origin would have anything to do with a Lebanese based terrorist organisation. No, I don't buy it.

i agree

Ditto - the authorities should not be able to use possible extremism (not to mention the evidence) to investigate and prosecute an Islamist who is simply following his religious beliefs. After all their rights are more valuable than our lives. Plus, who knows where this might lead; they might even decide to investigate other denominations for harmful practices and corruption.

Agreed. Looks like the threat of terrorism (fueled by Islamic nutcases) is going to be a fact of life for the foreseeable future, especially if supposedly progressive countries like Sweden can't find a better way to filter out bogus asylum seekers like this one.

It'd be interesting to see what types of targets these b******** have in mind. Khao San Road? Bar district? Airport?

Embassies ? Visiting politicians ?

What has the Iranian matter at the bottom of the report got to do with this?

At the time Thai police said they had not identified links between the arrest of the guy in the OP and the Iranians arrested a month later for the bombings in BKK. Guess AAP is suggesting a consistancy of terrorist attacks by Iran, or it's proxies, as Hezbollah is a terrorist organisation supported by the Iranian government

Edited by simple1

Don't the American Government do much the same?

Most people can see a difference

• Like 1

At the time Thai police said they had not identified links between the arrest of the guy in the OP and the Iranians arrested a month later for the bombings in BKK. Guess AAP is suggesting a consistancy of terrorist attacks by Iran, or it's proxies, as Hezbollah is a terrorist organisation supported by the Iranian government

Every year many thousands of Iranians visit Thailand. Iran and Thailand have good relations. I'm not sure our government wants to ruin that relation and put its citizens in danger!

Anyway I'm really ashamed of what some of the Iranians do around the world. I'm not a Muslim but I think it's not about Islam either. 99.999% of Iranians are not extremists or terrorists like most of the Talibans or other "brainwashed whackos". You don't see any bomb explosions or terrorist attacks or whatever in Iran if you read news everyday. We truly are peaceful people.

Not to justify, but I think many of these terrorists, are very poor people who are being paid very well by groups or governments to put their dirty ideas into operation. Not only Iran or Hezbollah, but also USA. These guys are just their toys! Not to mention that some of these terrorist groups like Taliban are first created and funded by USA to fight against their governments or other groups! But they gradually became powerful and got out of control! I don't know who is to blame here!

• Like 1

so what is this new given national doing in thailand ????

What all arab men do when they come to Thailand...... visit the temples.

Probably pretty much the same as any visitors. I see loads of them shopping on Sukhumvit.

At the time Thai police said they had not identified links between the arrest of the guy in the OP and the Iranians arrested a month later for the bombings in BKK. Guess AAP is suggesting a consistancy of terrorist attacks by truly are peaceful people.

Not to justify, but I think many of these terrorists, are very poor people who are being paid very well by groups or governments to put their dirty ideas into operation. Not only Iran or Hezbollah, but also USA. These guys are just their toys! Not to mention that some of these terrorist groups like Taliban are first created and funded by USA to fight against their governments or other groups! But they gradually became powerful and got out of control! I don't know who is to blame here!

No, Taliban (literally "the students") was started as a fundamentalist "back to the good ol' days" movement, which was propped up by the US due to allied interests against Soviet expansion. I have the same experience with most Iranians, far and away a very remarkable people, who have never quite gotten over the Arabs' invasion and dominance of Persia from 7th-12th centuries.

That said, it's pretty naive - though a common mistake - to overlook the role that idealogy plays in the mindsets of these people/would-be terrorists.

Edited by squarethecircle
  • Like 1

At the time Thai police said they had not identified links between the arrest of the guy in the OP and the Iranians arrested a month later for the bombings in BKK. Guess AAP is suggesting a consistancy of terrorist attacks by truly are peaceful people.

No, Taliban (literally "the students") was started as a fundamentalist "back to the good ol' days" movement, which was propped up by the US due to allied interests against Soviet expansion. I have the same experience with most Iranians, far and away a very remarkable people, who have never quite gotten over the Arabs' invasion and dominance of Persia from 7th-12th centuries.

That said, it's pretty naive - though a common mistake - to overlook the role that idealogy plays in the mindsets of these people/would-be terrorists.

The Taliban emerged after the Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan to take on the various warlords funded and equipped by the US, in collaboration with Pakistan, who were engaged in a three way civil war (Afghan communists versus Islamists versus Afghan ethnic groups). The US initially indirectly supported the Taliban when they started to hold ground and defeat the various warlords (again in collaboration with Pakistan) to bring about ceasation of the civil war & stabilility.

• Like 1

"The Taliban emerged after the Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan to take on the various warlords funded and equipped by the US"

That's not the whole story. You're conveniently omitting the role a certain idealogy has in common with all of these terrorist movements...from the MIddle East, to Pakistan and the rest of C Asia, to China, to the US, to the Phillippines and South Thailand.

Judging by your posts on the S Thailand terrorism, I take it you think they're not evil incarnated, but in fact poor little oppressed victims. I'm not going to waste time trying to enlighten you on the naivete of this mindset.

Edited by squarethecircle

"The Taliban emerged after the Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan to take on the various warlords funded and equipped by the US"

That's not the whole story. You're conveniently omitting the role a certain idealogy has in common with all of these terrorist movements...from the MIddle East, to Pakistan and the rest of C Asia, to China, to the US, to the Phillippines and South Thailand.

Judging by your posts on the S Thailand terrorism, I take it you think they're not evil incarnated, but in fact poor little oppressed victims. I'm not going to waste time trying to enlighten you on the naivete of this mindset.

Wrong assumptions, but yes I do believe the situation in the deep South has very different drivers to most of the conflicts in the Arab countries and Afghanistan. I am fully aware of Wahhabism and other elements contributing to radical Islam and I have zero sympathy for the acts of terror carried out in the name of Islamic extremism. So how about putting aside your ill informed presumptions and stop posting nonsense.

A free history lesson for you:

The main reason for the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan had nothing to do with islamic terror, but the torture & killing of around 58,000 mainly Afghan communist opponents by their Afghan communist client party in the year prior to invasion. The Soviets thought this would lead to increased resistance to communism & the gaining of power of the main communist opposition party and rural villagers. The Russians invaded Afghanistan, murdered the leader of their client party & replaced him with a surrogate. As you know, the result of their invasion was the rise against them and the Afghan communist allies by the traditional village Islamic conservatives amongst the Pastuns and other ethnic minorities.