How come it is so difficult to sell a big bike?

I went through the same thing. One git even shook hands on a deal then wormed his way out of it. I eventually sold it about a year later.

I think that there are more people who like them than are prepared to pay the right price.

Try Thais as well as farang.

A bit of both I would have thought. People with cash are waiting for you to make it irresistibly priced. Others haven't enough cash. So buy on finance from the dealer.

What bike?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Don't have a big bike in Thailand myself as a scooter is far more convenient. I know a few blokes that do have big bikes and one has been trying to sell his Triumph for nearly 6 months with no real interest.

Prices are too high here for big bikes, and the size of the market for reselling is very small. Your average Thai won't buy one, neither will your average Farang. So you've got a very small number of potential purchasers - supply and demand really.

If everybody wants it as you say, but won't pay your price - implies its overpriced.

I have tried for a while now to sell my big bike, everyone wants it, but no one wants to pay... Are people just waiting for me to dump the price since I am leaving or is the market always this slow?

What bike is it? and how much you are asking for? if you provide more details may be some of us get interested to make a good offer.

Guess it depends on the bike, the price and where you advertise. Over my years here I've sold two large cc KTM's. a Honda and more recently a Ducati. All were gone in a few days. After I sold the Duc I received several more enquires. Price is always the motivating factor. If you have unreasonable expectations you'll never sell. Also just putting up a postcard in Foodlands window isn't enough. Use Baht & Sold and numerous other Thai language forums / Sites to increase your chances.

• Like 1

I have tried for a while now to sell my big bike, everyone wants it, but no one wants to pay... Are people just waiting for me to dump the price since I am leaving or is the market always this slow?

What bike is it? and how much you are asking for? if you provide more details may be some of us get interested to make a good offer.

The OP has numerous threads running at present,I believe it's a Kawasaki Ninja.

Here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/650737-new-price-for-my-ninja/?hl=%2Bninja

I'm trying to effectively give my bike away and it still won't budge.

I guess I need to find a bike scrapper, but it'd be a shame as there are so many new/good parts on it.

I guess I need to find a bike scrapper, but it'd be a shame as there are so many new/good parts on it.

The Cbr or the yellow beast?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have a Phantom 200cc I know it is not a big bike but in the last month I have had two written messages with phone numbers asking me if I would like to sell it one was outside Makro and the other Tesco I have it cleaned every week at a cost of 120 baht and it looks the biz maybe you should do the same !!!!!!

Just look at the market for that type of bike.

Yours is the old style Ninja 650?

Anyone can now walk in and buy the newer model 650 or the CB500 range for not much more. With finance they can get them brand new for as low as 30 or 35k down.

Who's going to pay 170k cash (or whatever) for an older model with an older style when they have these options?

Quite simply the mid-sized twin cylinder market is saturated with better (newer) alternatives that can be had for a lot less cash. Assets are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Add a lot alternatives and the value drops.

The Cbr or the yellow beast?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The yellow beast - I simply don't ride it any more.

Anyone can now walk in and buy the newer model 650 or the CB500 range for not much more. With finance they can get them brand new for as low as 30 or 35k down.

Who's going to pay 170k cash (or whatever) for an older model with an older style when they have these options?

Quite simply the mid-sized twin cylinder market is saturated with better (newer) alternatives that can be had for a lot less cash. Assets are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Add a lot alternatives and the value drops.

snowflakes bike is now 145k.. add 15k for tyres and chain ,sprockets its a good buy.. just wish i had the money

snowflakes bike is now 145k.. add 15k for tyres and chain ,sprockets its a good buy.. just wish i had the money

Oh sure, I'm not saying it's not a good buy. I'm just answering why it was hard to sell at the original price, and will probably still be hard to sell at this price.

The answer is because there are new, upgraded models for (what's the minimum down on a N650?) 50k? with newer Honda 500's for around 30k down. Of course older models with older designs are going to have the bottom fall out of the market. That doesn't mean it isn't a good buy, it's just that the market has bottomed out due to saturation. This is a good thing for buyers, bad thing for sellers.

Within a year you're probably going to see people having to sell these models for 120k and under if they want to sell them. Now that will be a 'great buy', but it won't stop many choosing brand new CB500's for 30k down.

Reading on TV the number of deaths involving motor cycles, amongst members, it appears to me that 99% of members would be better off on a push bike. Why on earth any expat needs a MC when a car is far the safer option is beyond me. And before I get flamed, I, in the past have had 1000cc motor cycles in

HK and Manila and I am still in this world

we are going through a period where no one has cash in pocket.

it is finance or burst for the majority of people.

I'm afraid you're only speaking for yourself.

To say there isn't a lot of people with a lousy 150k to drop on a couple-of-years-old Kawasaki 650, where there are local parts and servicing available for cheap is utter nonsense.

If the Er-Sixes never went through the 2012 changes and the Honda 500's were never released there would be no trouble selling it. Unfortunately there are now 6 new similar bikes to choose from where previously there were none.

Edited by 1020
  • Like 1

I have made the same annoying experiences.

Loads of "time waster and tire kicker" and bla bla, but at least...nothing

Finally, I removed the ECU ( the ignition module) and advertised the bike as "!! BARGAIN !!: Top condition, but doesn't start, ECU missing" for 6000 Baht less.

Sold it the next day...

Somebody can explain that ?

Edited by Turkleton

Thailand the land of little or no depreciation

the farangs here are as bad as the thais in thinking that a bike only devalues a couple of hundred quid a year

example recently a versy was advertised two years old the guy had done 30,000km so had had his use and enjoyment from it but wanted 250,000 baht for it

crazy money

I have made the same annoying experiences.

Loads of "time waster and tire kicker" and bla bla, but at least...nothing

Finally, I removed the ECU ( the ignition module) and advertised the bike as "!! BARGAIN !!: Top condition, but doesn't start, ECU missing" for 6000 Baht less.

Sold it the next day...

Somebody can explain that ?

Sure.

The buyer wasn't around when the original ad was posted and only saw the second one. Probably would have paid 10k more for it with an ECU in it. :D

• Like 1

Reading on TV the number of deaths involving motor cycles, amongst members, it appears to me that 99% of members would be better off on a push bike. Why on earth any expat needs a MC when a car is far the safer option is beyond me. And before I get flamed, I, in the past have had 1000cc motor cycles in

HK and Manila and I am still in this world

If you try out the traffic jam delight in pattaya,

-you will know pretty instantly why members get anxiety at the thought of having to cross town in a car

I was selling my CB400 Super Four before and I advertised it on TV classifieds. I had about 20 people sending me SMS and emails asking if the bike is still for sale. I replied saying yes and would they like to come and view it, and not 1 person replied. <deleted>?

After 2 weeks off this BS I removed the advert and kept the bike. You maybe stuck with your bike for a while, however there is auction places in Pattaya that will take your bike and sell it for you. Theres one on Thepprasit road near Sukhumvit, and another in Jomtien that I know of.

Edited by misterphil

ITS BECAUSE THAILAND IS FULL OF EXPAT ENGLISH TEACHERS ,MOST OF WHOM DO NOT HAVE A POT TO PISS IN .LOL

No need to shout.

By the way most English teacher's I know have a car and a bike... LOL

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 1

A bit of both I would have thought. People with cash are waiting for you to make it irresistibly priced. Others haven't enough cash. So buy on finance from the dealer.What bike? Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

My ninja 650, 2011 candy burnt orange...