Noise problem?

leggo

I live in the centre of Rayong in a condo that is surrounded by three or four fairly smart hotels and residences - I imagine some several thousand live in the neighbourhood. About ten mins walk from us there is a well known concert hall/pub/restaurant - capacity about 800. The place starts rocking about 10pm and should close at 02.00 am by Thai law - you've guessed id does'nt -it actually usually pumps out music so loud you can't sleep without earplugs till between 5.30 and 6.00am. I spoke to the owner of my condo without any luck -apparently we are the only people to hear the noise! Which means all the rest are either completely deaf/terrified or know that a business as large as this probably has powerful connections and won' do anything about it!! Anyway I did see once somewhere on a forum that the Thia police had opened a website where you could make a complaint against such problems - at the time I did try it and of course the web site was curiously out of order. Anybody got a suggestion -apart from moving -can't do have 8 months left on contract!

Don't interfer in other's business here. It may be your last activity.

When you want to rent a place, or even more so, buy - always walk around the area a 11pm until midnight to check the sounds from discos, pubs, karaoke or dogs. Otherwise get a good supply of ear plugs.

• Like 2

Noise is something where Thai in general won't be bothered about.

Same for their environment and the people in it.

It won't be easy to find a place (in 8 months) where you won't bothered by unwanted sounds and/or noise.

For now 4 options:

- start using ear plugs

- sleep in the daytime and be awake during the noise-pollution

- take your loss and move out (maybe the landlord is considerate and returns your deposit)

- or as Scotty suggests: try to get a room away from the noisy venue

For me, I can't stand noise. I sleep with ear plugs. Sometimes the music near my condo is so loud or full with bases, that the rhythm affects my heartbeat.....in other words: I really get <deleted> up!!

Peace and quiet is not valued in Thailand as it is in the West.

We took our maid to the country house, she couldn't sleep as it was too quiet, she ended up sleeping in the living room with the TV on !

I suspect that people who have grown up with noise may ultimately feel comfortable with silence.

Personally, I hate unnecessary noise, bars and clubs are too lound to speak and be heard, I have to just deal it.

I choose where I live is a very careful choice and based solely on ambient noise... Of course ths doesn't help if a Karaoke business stars up round the corner !

OP: this is why a lot of folk rent, you can try and make a complaint, you might get lucky, you can put up a notice in your apartment lobby and see if others agree.... But ultimately you already know the only solution: Talk to your landlord and see if you can move...

Edited by richard_smith237

I am an acoustical consultant, working in Thailand. There are laws to manage noise nuisance in Thailand, and there are more and more places where the law is followed up.

One law that can help you is that the difference in the sound level at your condo with and without the music from the bar cannot be more than 10 dB(A), and reading your story it will most probably be more than that so this means the bar is breaching the law.

You could file a complaint at the Rayong Community and let them perform sound measurements, it would be good to get some more people to join you.

It can be a long way but I have seen many cases where it works though never forget that you are a visitor here :)

Good luck !

Noise is something where Thai in general won't be bothered about.

Same for their environment and the people in it.

It won't be easy to find a place (in 8 months) where you won't bothered by unwanted sounds and/or noise.

For now 4 options:

- start using ear plugs

- sleep in the daytime and be awake during the noise-pollution

- take your loss and move out (maybe the landlord is considerate and returns your deposit)

- or as Scotty suggests: try to get a room away from the noisy venue

For me, I can't stand noise. I sleep with ear plugs. Sometimes the music near my condo is so loud or full with bases, that the rhythm affects my heartbeat.....in other words: I really get fuc_ked up!!

Yes, the Thais seem generally immune to noise. Look at departments stores and shopping malls with various people barking into microphones, piped music in the background, whistling guards outside, ear-splitting suped up motorcycles etc. We have a fruit seller barking away into his roof mounted speakers on his pick-up at 10pm in our Soi. "oh, that reminds me, I'm shoot on fruit 'n veg, I might just duck out and get some instead of continuing to enjoy my book'. Unfortunately, it is what it is. Double-glazing, earplugs, Xanax.........