Re-enact crimes is necessary: Thai police

webfact

"The source admitted, however, that physical assaults while interrogating suspects whom police strongly believe to be guilty, are not uncommon"

That line in the OP was misplaced. It should have been before and not after this one:

"said suspects have to first "confess" to investigators before they are taken to re-enact their crime".

I wonder if they realize what they have just admitted to here?

Suspected for many years, nice to see it in print. Now no need to be amazed at the incredible rate that the police get confessions.....

That just says to me that a confession is beaten out of the suspect and the reenactment is carried out as the police see it.

OK, I believe that this happens all over the world, but people, police forces or government departments don't admit to it, or let their tabloids print the sh1t................blink.png

A little hard to beat a confession out of a suspect these days in the developed world. Where I am from every interview room/holding room are monitored by CCTV and all interviews are recorded. This protects the suspect and the police from allegations. Everything is strictly audited and everything filed and kept for a minimum of 7 yrs. The supervisor will make welfare checks on suspects and interview him/her at the conclusion of the investigation and record any complaints. The suspect has a copy of the recorded interview an if he/she makes an allegation that he confessed under duress then the evidentiary tape will support this.

Suspects were subject to attitude adjustments in the past but these are pretty much a thing of the past. When I 1st joined nearly 25 yrs ago an attitude adjustment was fairly normal but never carried out by the interviewing members. Normally it was done by the guy in the chicken or gorilla suit and when asked about his treatment at the end and he says he was assaulted he describes the person as the one dressed in the chicken suit. The old metal clothing locker rolling down the stairs was a good one also.

These days it is all warm and fluffy, they are provided with tea and bickies and get the comfy chair.

Well you can at least admit that it happened in the past in Oz. Many years ago i was taken downstairs by a couple of detectives at the old Melb., Russell St station, had the 'shitter' beaten out of me whilst they tried to get me to admit to something i had not done. This practice will continue in backward countries where they cannot see further than their noses.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I support these representations of crime 100%. As a point of interest, the Thai prison population (as a % of total population) is a fraction of the United States. There is a reason." Yeah, it is called paying off the cops and/or having family connections. Do you live here, btw?

To whom are you talking? rolleyes.gif

I guess there are strange customs and practises everywhere. Such as the funny wigs in British courts...

Thailand is the hub of pointing of suspects and crime enactation.

How right you are about funny wigs, they prance about like transvestites in the British courtrooms. The country just cannot come into the 21st century, and what about the fancy titles, the Sirs and Lords.

They actually put it to a vote in Australia and they are still wearing robes and wigs except in Federal and high courts. It is merely a custom once to show all as equal before the court.

Yes Mr Chooka, but I don't see what showing all is equal has to do with it. They just look so stupid, this is the 21st, not the 18th century when wigs were fashionable. Does Australia have the Sirs and Lords too?

I guess there are strange customs and practises everywhere. Such as the funny wigs in British courts...

How right you are about funny wigs, they prance about like transvestites in the British courtrooms. The country just cannot come into the 21st century, and what about the fancy titles, the Sirs and Lords.

They actually put it to a vote in Australia and they are still wearing robes and wigs except in Federal and high courts. It is merely a custom once to show all as equal before the court.

Yes Mr Chooka, but I don't see what showing all is equal has to do with it. They just look so stupid, this is the 21st, not the 18th century when wigs were fashionable. Does Australia have the Sirs and Lords too?

yes we have Sirs and Dames and we have a Queen also. Yes the wigs are outdated but everyone is free to wear what ever they like. Men dressed up as women look stupid also but it is their choice. When I go to court I have to bow to the magistrate's and judges also, shows respect to the court not the man. Old fashioned yes but still tradition.

Thai police reenactments are nothing more than a showcase spectacle for police to curry media attention onto themselves.

The walkthrough of some incidents are helpful for clearing up some points however the suspect is not compelled to partake. "Not obliged to "SAY" or "DO" anything. Basic legal rights. In a normal court any evidence/admissions obtained under duress is "NOT" admissible in court. physical assaults while interrogating suspects whom police strongly believe to be guilty is obtaining admissions under duress. A dumb witted stumbling lawyer would even get this evidence thrown out. The same dumb witted lawyer would advise his client not to partake as if the police had sufficient evidence to charge him then there would be no need for a re-enactment. The onus is entirely on the police to gather evidence and for the prosecution to prove a case beyond all reasonable doubt. The suspect has absolutely no obligation to assist the prosecution in gaining a conviction.

It is like asking the opposing team to kick goals for you in a football match because you don't have the talent to do it yourself.

"Police say they are doing what is best for Thai justice and the practice will continue."

How is physically assaulting someone during an interview or forcing them to incriminate themselves in a re-enactment Justice? If this is Thai Justice then it is definitely one sided justice. It is more like perverting the course of justice which it in itself is a crime.

You can't compare the RTP and justice system to those in the real world. They just don't bear comparison. The BiB are reminisent of the Keystone cops at times, and the worst aspects of police state policing at others. Courts seem to be a bit like Roy Beans in the Wild West. Everyone makes it up as they go along because the laws are often vague and officers have discretion. Throw in the inevitible corruption and untouchability of certain sections of the community and you have the circus we see.

This re-enacting for the media and public is all part of the show. Let the public see just how clever and good they are at catching "villains".

I wonder if we are going to see a re-enactment of the Red Bull heir murdering the unfortunated police officer, complete with fleeing the seen and trying to get an employee to take the wrap with help from a senior police officer; or the TV "star" who fatally shot someone in the head and changed his story when the CCTV footage was released.

Fat chance.

I dont want to impose my western views and values on Thailand.

They can conduct their criminal and judicial system as they wish.

I see the Thai system as a MUCH better system than Sharia law.

Not as good as the US/Canadian, EU or Oz systems,

but that's just my personal view.

How much Sharia Law have you actually experienced and in which countries? Or do you base your views on media reports?

What nonsense Paddy! The robes and wigs retain an air of authority in a similar way to other uniforms. The laws and justice system of the British countries have evolved over centuries and are regarded as some of the best in the world. Countries whose legal system is based on common law rather than civil have usually based this on the British system. The judges, lawyers and court officers in many countries wear some form of gown, wig, hat, sash or robe to identify their office.

I've never seen any court officials "prance about": and don't have you intimate knowledge on "transvestites" so can't comment on that. I wonder if you think those guys who prance around in orange skirts trying to play bagpipes are transvestites too?

This topic is about police making suspects re-enact crimes they are acused of and have 'admitted" during interogation; but I guess you see it as an opportunity to have a dig at a country you don't like or understand.

• Like 1

What nonsense Paddy! The robes and wigs retain an air of authority in a similar way to other uniforms. The laws and justice system of the British countries have evolved over centuries and are regarded as some of the best in the world. Countries whose legal system is based on common law rather than civil have usually based this on the British system. The judges, lawyers and court officers in many countries wear some form of gown, wig, hat, sash or robe to identify their office.

I've never seen any court officials "prance about": and don't have you intimate knowledge on "transvestites" so can't comment on that. I wonder if you think those guys who prance around in orange skirts trying to play bagpipes are transvestites too?

This topic is about police making suspects re-enact crimes they are acused of and have 'admitted" during interogation; but I guess you see it as an opportunity to have a dig at a country you don't like or understand.

Being a Scot, I have never seen any guys in an orange skirt, I take it you mean a tartan skirt.

'Suspect' or accused are the words for sombody who did or did not really do the crime.

Even if caught in the act, still called a suspect. In cases like this, I think we should not defend them

to be paraded.

Come on admit it, you made up that last word.

The other thing about this that's not mentioned in the OP...

It's seemingly only the common criminals who get paraded in front of the world.

But when was the last time you saw a high-so arrestee being paraded? The teenie van crasher? The beverage scion motorcycle cop killer?

Did did the police ever have Big Brother re-enact how he looted the country before fleeing abroad???

• Like 2

The parading of 'suspects' surrounded by several cops is just a photo opportunity for the Keystones to gain self-promoting publicity.

You can request the police that instead of them surround the 'suspect' in the parade

it should be you! Are you jealous because your photo will not

come out when posted in newspaper?

I imagine that if the suspect is doing a re-enactment he has already confessed ??? Strictly a publicity stunt re showing they caught someone. This would likely not happen with a high profile criminal ( rich )

The police are good at getting the confesssions.

I only see the victims and family as the ones being hurt by it.

If this getting witnesses to come forward is part of the plan, I have long wondered why they let the alleged criminals cover up at the police station, this would help witnesses come forward, for the current crime, or others that they may have committed

What happened to the MP who supposedly murdered a constituant in the toilet of a petrol station in late 2011 (?). He was never charged, if I recall, because parliament was in session at the time. Was he ever charged? Don't recall his police 'Press Conference'?

By staging these "reenactments" police show and seek endorsement from society that, on occasion they actually fight crime/criminals rather than being the "criminals", despite questionable means used to elicit the reenactments not to mention human rights violations. It also may help divert attention from police.

Edited by atyclb

Police lunacy as always. To the best of my knowledge no other developed country does this, why on earth would the Thai police brain trust think this is a good idea ??

I don't know although for starters, Thailand is not a developed country.

"The source admitted, however, that physical assaults while interrogating suspects whom police strongly believe to be guilty, are not uncommon"

That line in the OP was misplaced. It should have been before and not after this one:

"said suspects have to first "confess" to investigators before they are taken to re-enact their crime".

I wonder if they realize what they have just admitted to here?

Without violence, the police would not get so many confessions. The once they get them, they can peacock around showing everyone what a good job they did.

3rd grade school yard stuff.

Can't imagine these dramatic recontructions taking place in England.

"Ronnie, luvvie, could you put the gun a bit closer to the victim's head so we can get the full shot in one take. OK, dolly back... and that's a rap."

The common practice of parading criminal suspects in front of the media to re-enact their alleged crimes

The two main things, they are only suspects of an alleged crime. The police brand them convicted criminals prior to attending court and display them as if they have just won the world cup.

What is this stupid comment "People who watch it will also not fall prey to such crime." How on earth does parading a suspect (not a proven offender) protect people from becoming victims of others? Does this sort of thing have the same mystical powers of amulets?

What happens if a suspect is then eliminated or found innocent in court, can he sue the police for publically humiliating him and branding him a criminal. Do defamation laws cover these people?

I doubt very much that the suspect is ever eliminated or found innocent after a re-inactment.

The very fact that the person is re-inacting exactly what happened, suggests only one thing.

I guess after a few days with the arresting BIB and anyone would re-inact anything!

It's such an antiquated ruling that puts Thailand back so many years - it is the sort of thing that would have gone hand in glove with torture, before Thailand reluctantly signed the convention against torture (not so long ago)..

Utter crap. The only necessity is for senior police officers to get into the media and be seen pointing.

Actually, if it is so imperative to do this then one must assume that all perps are paraded this way so what is seen in the media is the sum total of the police work in the country. Not a lot going on in that case so the practice may backfire. If all perps are not paraded, then by what standard do they edit which ones to parade for the media? That might be interesting to know.

But, the media are complicit--not surprising when you see the same news footage on every channel which indicates central control and an absence of competition--otherwise they could shut this practice down in a New York second by not covering these dog and pony shows.

Acting out crimes is necessary: police

Hang on, I thought acting out crimes should be avoided, so that there would be no need to re-enact them afterwards.

Also who says that crime reenactment needs to be done with the media present?

They already told you!!! So that Thais can learn what is bad behavior! If someone gets killed and then you are told about it, you might not know that the killing is wrong....but if you see it, then somehow YOU WILL KNOW this is wrong.....get it? :P

If anyone ever asked for a good reason for colonialism in the 21st century, Thailand would be a great example.

Already colonized by "ineptitude"

Thailand has been colonized in a cryptic fashion (cryptocolonialism) by its own people many times:

Sangha acts demanding uniform religious practice, expedited by uniform language

Forbidding of many "non-rational, non-Buddhist" practices

Creation of the Isaan province in order to fight communism (here the US worked with Thai elite members to create roads but only to serve their own purposes)

I could continue...but I won't.