You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Phuket road work forces motorists to seek bypass road bypass

webfact

Phuket road work forces motorists to seek bypass road bypass
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The long tailbacks on Thepkrasattri Road caused by the resurfacing of the bypass road at the Bang Khu Intersection in Koh Kaew has forced police to urge motorists to use alternative routes.

“We need to resurface about 1.5km of the [bypass] road, starting at the Bang Khu intersection,” said Phuket Highways Office Director Samak Luedwonghad.

“The road surface is uneven and broken up so much it looks like crocodile skin,” he said.

The effect on traffic has been dramatic.

“During rush hour, the traffic can back up all the way to the Heroine’s Monument,” said one disgruntled motorist.

Mr Samak said his office has scheduled to complete the resurfacing within 150 days.

“But I examined the site today and I don’t think it should take that long – I estimate it will take less than four months,” he said.

Traffic police have asked for a timely finish to the construction.

“We’ve contacted the Phuket Highways Office to ask them to speed up the work,” Sen Sgt Maj Pairote Srathorngin of Phuket City Traffic Police told the Phuket Gazette.

“Unfortunately, the daily rain we’ve been getting is delaying the construction,” he said.

Sgt Pairot has already changed the traffic lights’ settings to try to ease delays.

“I ordered the southbound lanes at the Koh Kaew Intersection be given a longer green light during rush hours. This should improve the flow,” he said.

Sgt Pairote advised drivers to consider using the road behind the Premium Outlet mall instead of the bypass road (map here).

“Go through the Bang Khu Intersection towards town. Take the first u-turn and go straight across. That road takes you behind the Premium Outlet mall and reconnects with the bypass road farther down,” he said.

While traffic jams plague the Darasamuth Intersection, in front of the Central Festival shopping mall, as construction of Phuket’s first underpass continues (story here), the Bang Khu Intersection awaits progress as yet another junction to receive an underpass in Phuket.

Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut this week also unveiled plans for an underpass to be built underneath Chalong Circle, by far the busiest junction in the south of the island.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-road-work-forces-motorists-to-seek-bypass-road-bypass-21533.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-07-04

Alternative route from the Heroinas to Patong.

About 1km south from the monument, make an u-turn next to the Toyota? dealer.

Turn west to the road where Phuket Gazzette and ThaiVisa offices are located.

Continue this road to BIS and turn south on the BIS corner.

The route will pass Phuket Mining museum, keep on going

After few kilometers, there is a T-intersection, turn west (right) and continue the road for few more kilometers.

Next larger road turn right and continue the road for about 1km until you'll be at the Caltex gasoline station. Turn right to Paton or go straight to Central festival & Chalong.

They're resurfacing the southern runway at London Heathrow airport. Laying 80m of new asphalt each night, on 7 hour shifts. That should take less than 1 month at that rate.

Can these guys in Phuket not work overnight?

Now, I don't expect the level and standard of machinery to be available that Heathrow has, But equally, the quality of asphalt used on a runway has to be much higher than for roads.

150 days is ridiculous.

• Like 2

They're resurfacing the southern runway at London Heathrow airport. Laying 80m of new asphalt each night, on 7 hour shifts. That should take less than 1 month at that rate.

Now, I don't expect the level and standard of machinery to be available that Heathrow has, But equally, the quality of asphalt used on a runway has to be much higher than for roads.

150 days is ridiculous.

ah yea but you need to factor in smoke breaks, general lazing around, watching other people doing some work, more smoking and then when it rains no one does anything.

• Like 1

150 days is ridiculous.

ah yea but you need to factor in smoke breaks, general lazing around, watching other people doing some work, more smoking and then when it rains no one does anything.

Yes, you're right. Suppose the roadside karaoke's would be a major distraction, too.

Seems to me if all they are doing it is resurfacing it they could use a heat scarafier ( not sure if that is what it is called).

It is a big machine that goes along on the existing paved road heats it up adds oil as needed and relays it all in one operation. They have the usualy asphalt rollers fo;;owing along behind. Not sure sounds like a 4 day job and you can use the road soon after the job is done.

Start at night after rush hour and the road could be ready to drive on in the morning rush hour.

150 days sounds like they are tearing the exiting asphalt out and redoing the base for a new road. Even that should not take 150 days.

In the past I have seen roads ground up & repaved in a matter of days rather than months.

I've seen roads broken up and washed away in a few weeks of heavy rain, I wonder if there is a connection here? coffee1.gif

They're remaking a major artery back in my home town.. 10km. They started 7weeks ago and its almost over. Thats including new sidewalk and sometimes a bike path. Everytime i pass in front they are not doing much of anything. working pretty slow as they were given 5months to do the whole job and it will still be over way before the deadline.

Edited by bearpolar