What kind of visa are you using for living in CM for long time legally?

OP - you could look into an education visa where you study Thai. There have been some controversial programs in the past, so you would want to do due diligence. Worth looking in to. You may be able to get something where you don't have to leave every 90 days.

OP - you could look into an education visa where you study Thai. There have been some controversial programs in the past, so you would want to do due diligence. Worth looking in to. You may be able to get something where you don't have to leave every 90 days.

+1Only real option if you don't want to do border runs.

You could of course get a business visa (expensive and means you do have to actually have a business). Or you could marry a Thai.

+1Only real option if you don't want to do border runs.

You could of course get a business visa (expensive and means you do have to actually have a business). Or you could marry a Thai.

Or you could marry a Thai, which also could prove to turn out expensive ! regards Worgeordie

Its really down to either border runs or an education visa. Both work out to about the same in $$$$. With the Ed Visa being a bit more beneficial as you get to learn something. I was about to do the Ed visa myself but are trying to get back overseas and into a new job, therefore not sure how long I'll be here.

Good luck either way

Edited by CMKiwi

A border run every 3 months from Chiang Mai is hardy expensive .

You only do a border run every 3 months if you have a multiple entry tourist visa. I think OP is probably referring to bouncing around on 15 day stamps.

OP - Bali is doing triple entry tourist visas, afaik the closest place in the region you can get one. Laos should be okay for a double. Those would buy you 270 days (or 180 with a double) with only a few trips to immigration for extensions, and a couple border runs to activate 'next entry'.

A border run every 3 months from Chiang Mai is hardy expensive .

Wandering round the Moat the other day noticed a couple of probably "WAN" offers of CM to Mai S returns for 600 Bt which if you don't mind the kami Kaz experience sounds reasonable...otherwise its a charabang (bus) from Arcade.(costs in other posts)

I dont qualify for retirement either.

I'm doing Ed Visa at Pantip Plaza.......21,000 baht, plus two lots of 1,900 at CM Immigration to come.

Really enjoy the course.

Like someone else said you'll get a double entry at Laos which I believe you can extend to effectively make it a six month visa, leaving the country after 90 odd days if you extend both segments at CM Immigration (I think!!)

Chok dii.

How about getting a job with a WP

With a work permit do you just do the 90 day report same as retirement?

If so do you get in the same line?

Is that the one where you can stretch it out to 15months or is that a business one where you still have to do a visa run?

Edited by hellodolly

How about getting a job with a WP

With a work permit do you just do the 90 day report same as retirement?

If so do you get in the same line?

Is that the one where you can stretch it out to 15months or is that a business one where you still have to do a visa run?

If you get on extension of stay for working, you only do 90 day reports, and once a year at immigration for renewal, technically speaking you are no longer on a visa, so as long as your working you just keep renewing every year...therefore you would never have to cross a border again