Thai activists: Stop publishing photographs of domestic-abuse victims

webfact

"Lawyers at the seminar said victims could file both civil and criminal suits against the press, saying that in developed countries, the media was not allowed to carry out such practices" .Well this is Thailand where no such laws exist..Yes its a terrible practice but neither is showing kids who have been victimized .Every one is fair game here ,innocent , the guilty or the abused.

so a law from 2007 cannot be respected

why anybody thinks this kind of reporting will stop

TV can start by showing the example and not moneytising other peopel's articles where victims are show with picture and full address

change start with yourself

• Like 2

I refer here to my earlier post regarding the Russian woman found wandering around half-naked in the woods in Pattaya ...

Posted 2013-06-27 16:55:30

Chaam local, on 27 Jun 2013 - 14:26, said:snapback.png

I think it's a shame that her pictures were published. What if she was drugged and raped? Whatever happened to her, she doesn't deserve to be exposed like this. Good that she didn't give her name, or else you would also publish it, along with a picture of her passport maybe.

I agree. I think it's a disgrace that innocent victims, and those whose circumstances have not been established, find their names (and even addresses) published, not only in the media, but also here on TV. At the very least, these details should be blanked out before being reported here.

When I was working within the legal system in the UK, I would have been crucified if I had divulged the personal details of any such victims!

Double standards. Victims details should not be disclosed, as shouldn't be the photos of alleged suspects. We all like to watch those pics but imagine yourself pictured on the news as a horriblr criminal just because of a wrong accusation or a mistake.

• Like 1

Double standards. Victims details should not be disclosed, as shouldn't be the photos of alleged suspects. We all like to watch those pics but imagine yourself pictured on the news as a horriblr criminal just because of a wrong accusation or a mistake.

Totally agree.

• Like 1

"They are already in a desperate state and should not be made to answer personal questions, which will put them in an even more uncomfortable position in front of others," Perhaps they took a page from police reenactments? If any photos are posted, they should be of the perp, not the victim. Which they shouldn't but in spite of vaunted hospitality and politeness of Thais, many in positions of power and influence are clueless.

Sensational news sells and we buy it. As long as the media publishes these kind of reports including pictures for commercial purposes we should stop buying, reading and post them on social media forums.

The readers are just as guilty.

• Like 1