Motorcycle trailer

i am considering a bike trailer. I know of two companies in thailand Beets and repsol. I have seen repsol and they are lacking in quality for sure. I have not seen beets but they are expensive. This trailer might get used 4-5 times a year so as long as it doesnt brake in half i will be happy. If i could source out some trailer axles i am sure i could build a really sturdy trailer for around 7000baht.

So i am considering importing one from china.

http://gttrailers.en.alibaba.com/product/599273690-210140040/Motorcycle_Trailer_TR0601_Three_Rail_Motorcycle_Trailer.html

^^^^^this is 19000baht delivered to laem chabang. I am guessing 3-4000 in customs. I am not sure if i can get a book or not but i am guessing the fine will be 400 baht for no book.

Edited by yankee99

Yeah they had an article in Thailand Superbike about Beat a few issues back.

I did not know the owner was not a Thai

Are their prices good?

When I was in high school I built a 3 bike trailer in metal shop with a front axle I got

from auto shop. If all else fails I bet you could draw one & have it built here as you said.

No idea how hard to register though. US was surprisingly easy back then when i made one. smile.png

Edited by mania

Are their prices good?

When I was in high school I built a 3 bike trailer in metal shop with a front axle I got

from auto shop. If all else fails I bet you could draw one & have it built here as you said.

No idea how hard to register though. US was surprisingly easy back then when i made one. :)

I would build it myself if i could get the axles. Upbeat supposedly makes a good trailer but i think around 100000 baht and call me stubborn but thats rediculous! I dont care we are in thailand :)

• Like 2

Upbeat makes the best trailers in Thailand (as you know I've already bought one- though I haven't taken delivery yet- and I do my research;))

Yes, they're expensive, but they're modeled after Kendon stand-up trailers, and those run close to $2500 in the States for a single. You need a plate for a trailer, and you probably won't be able to register an import.

Go to their factory near Suvarnabhumi and have a look- you'll be impressed- the owner, Khun Joe (who's Thai) speaks English.

78K for the single, and 108K for the double- I bought this one:

post-176811-0-36198500-1373023697_thumb.

• Like 1

Upbeat makes the best trailers in Thailand (as you know I've already bought one- though I haven't taken delivery yet- and I do my research;))

Yes, they're expensive, but they're modeled after Kendon stand-up trailers, and those run close to $2500 in the States for a single. You need a plate for a trailer, and you probably won't be able to register an import.

Go to their factory near Suvarnabhumi and have a look- you'll be impressed- the owner, Khun Joe (who's Thai) speaks English.

78K for the single, and 108K for the double- I bought this one:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

and a link: http://www.upbeat.co.th/moto.html :D

Lovely trailers but I couldn't justify paying that much for one also,a quick check at today's rate shows a conversion of 78k for the single one to be £1675 ridiculous price,can anyone enlighten me as to why they are so expensive.

What's the finish ? Powder Coated

How are they welded ? Flux Core

What spec are the wheels etc etc.

If your any good with a stick welder you could make your own. It's not that hard. There are 2 main steel shops in Pattaya that would have the steel. You could order the stub axles off Ebay. Electrics are easy. Wheels and tyres new or second hand not a problem.

Actually after watching the videos it seems they are well made to a high spec,but still unsure as to how they cost so much to be fair.

Yes- they have a real factory- the trailer is aluminum and powder-coated stainless-steel (the cheaper trailers are galvanized steel).

The bottom line is that imported materials are expensive- the equipment in their factory is Western-spec- you'd pay about the same for an equivalent trailer in the States- you can buy a cheaper one and watch it start to rust the first time a rock chips the surface coating, or you can buy a good one and have it for years.

Everybody bitches about the quality in LOS being terrible- here's a high-quality product, but that means a high price- you can have good or you can have cheap- you can't have both.;)

It's certainly better than their major competitor, and their single runs ~50K- give me the good stuff any day when it comes to something like a trailer, which can compromise your safety if it's poorly made.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

Actually after watching the videos it seems they are well made to a high spec,but still unsure as to how they cost so much to be fair.

Yes- they have a real factory- the trailer is aluminum and powder-coated stainless-steel (the cheaper trailers are galvanized steel).

The bottom line is that imported materials are expensive- the equipment in their factory is Western-spec- you'd pay about the same for an equivalent trailer in the States- you can buy a cheaper one and watch it start to rust the first time a rock chips the surface coating, or you can buy a good one and have it for years.

Everybody bitches about the quality in LOS being terrible- here's a high-quality product, but that means a high price- you can have good or you can have cheap- you can't have both.;)

I think your right there you know,maybe I will buy one in the near future.

I wish I had it today- my bike was supposed to be delivered this afternoon, but the van broke down about four hours from the house (at least I know the owner of the garage it's at, and it might be fixed and on the road by tomorrow)- if I had the trailer I'd run over and get it- unbelievably annoying- I didn't want to take delivery of it (and start the registration and insurance) until the bike showed up- that was a bad idea in retrospect.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown

Lovely trailers but I couldn't justify paying that much for one also,a quick check at today's rate shows a conversion of 78k for the single one to be £1675 ridiculous price,can anyone enlighten me as to why they are so expensive.What's the finish ? Powder CoatedHow are they welded ? Flux CoreWhat spec are the wheels etc etc.

Honestly its overpriced no matter what finish, materials or automated welding. The bottom line is this company is making huge profit and i am happy! for them. I just wont support them. Whats involved in making a trailer not a lot. Cut the steel square it, weld it and paint it. Attach you axles, couplers and some wiring. Steel is cheap in thailand so the only thing needs to be imported and exported is the axles and wheel.

They have so much less overhead then a factory in america its rediculuos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Build-Your-Own-Trailer-Axle-Kit-3500-Camper-ROUND-NoBK-/370511235235

You could build an axle too

Mine was so basic just set toe-in & the rest was a basic frame with three channels for bikes

Cool thing today is the internet has so many great ideas & designs

You should build one for the fun of it wink.png

even if you sub out sections etc.

Mine was simple like this style

Edited by mania

Lovely trailers but I couldn't justify paying that much for one also,a quick check at today's rate shows a conversion of 78k for the single one to be £1675 ridiculous price,can anyone enlighten me as to why they are so expensive.What's the finish ? Powder CoatedHow are they welded ? Flux CoreWhat spec are the wheels etc etc.

Honestly its overpriced no matter what finish, materials or automated welding. The bottom line is this company is making huge profit and i am happy! for them. I just wont support them. Whats involved in making a trailer not a lot. Cut the steel square it, weld it and paint it. Attach you axles, couplers and some wiring. Steel is cheap in thailand so the only thing needs to be imported and exported is the axles and wheel.

Except for salaries, I doubt they have much less overhead- I've been to the factory- it's not some corner welding shop- watch the videos- the third one is probably best- http://www.upbeat.co.th/action.html

They'll probably make you a galvanized trailer cheaper that will be way better than anything else you can find here- you're not going to get anything that you can register for less than 50K, unless it's used or really poorly made. The trailer in your link with its tiny tires is really going to limit how fast you can drive and over what type of road surface- look at it- it seems ready to fall apart in the pic (and there's no mention of inertia brakes).

Get what you feel comfortable with, but you're giving up ride-ability and safety with most cheap trailers- you've got a mil (or more) worth of bikes- do you really want to chance them on a 25K trailer?

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

The trailer in your link with its tiny tires is really going to limit how fast you can drive and over what type of road surface- look at it- it seems ready to fall apart in the pic (and there's no mention of inertia brakes).

Sorry if that was the pic I posted I meant the trailer style.

A-Frame 3 ramps

The one I built had full sized auto tires off I forget what car/truck

Edited by mania

The trailer in your link with its tiny tires is really going to limit how fast you can drive and over what type of road surface- look at it- it seems ready to fall apart in the pic (and there's no mention of inertia brakes).

Sorry if that was the pic I posted I meant the trailer style.A-Frame 3 rampsThe one I built had full sized auto tires off I forget what car/truck
I was referring to the link in the OP (posted by the guy who hates Chinese tools...:P)

On another note, being able to fold it and store it upright is also very handy.

I think the Upbeat is 50% better than it's nearest competitor- it's 50% more expensive- fair enough.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Joe is a Thai?

I wonder who this guy is? I thought he was the owner?

Except for salaries, I doubt they have much less overhead- I've been to the factory- it's not some corner welding shop- watch the videos- the third one is probably best- http://www.upbeat.co.th/action.html

They'll probably make you a galvanized trailer cheaper that will be way better than anything else you can find here- you're not going to get anything that you can register for less than 50K, unless it's used or really poorly made. The trailer in your link with its tiny tires is really going to limit how fast you can drive and over what type of road surface- look at it- it seems ready to fall apart in the pic (and there's no mention of inertia brakes).

Get what you feel comfortable with, but you're giving up ride-ability and safety with most cheap trailers- you've got a mil (or more) worth of bikes- do you really want to chance them on a 25K trailer?

I see plenty cheaper salaries, insurane, social security, taxes, permits, utilities. Honestly not here or there and no question upbeat makes a nice trailer. A trailer is just that two wheels carrying some steel and less then 1000lbs its nothing. If i was hauling 80,000lbs pulling 40' doubles i would buy differently. I am going to give it a shot and will post the results

fyi tires are rated at 437kilos each @ 13" not sure bigger is needed.

Edited by yankee99

From the video, the workshop is just your 'run of the mill' type engineering shop. In the West small and medium businesses are getting laser and water jet cutters to speed up throughput of parts going to the press brake operator.

Are their prices good?

No idea how hard to register though. US was surprisingly easy back then when i made one. smile.png

I would build it myself if i could get the axles. Upbeat supposedly makes a good trailer but i think around 100000 baht and call me stubborn but thats rediculous! I dont care we are in thailand smile.png

Prices for all these kind of things in Thailand are based on the buying power of the buyer and that is based on the the fact that people here, ex-pat and Thai spend completely outrageous sums for a particular make of of motorcycle that come from the states.

That's to say a piece of two wheeled crap based on a 50 year old design.

Think I've said enough.

• Like 1

Are their prices good?

I would build it myself if i could get the axles. Upbeat supposedly makes a good trailer but i think around 100000 baht and call me stubborn but thats rediculous! I dont care we are in thailand smile.png

Prices for all these kind of things in Thailand are based on the buying power of the buyer and that is based on the the fact that people here, ex-pat and Thai spend completely outrageous sums for a particular make of of motorcycle that come from the states.

That's to say a piece of two wheeled crap based on a 50 year old design.

Think I've said enough.

So, would it be better to waste 1.5 million baht on a Honda Gold Wing which is based on a 30 year old design?

Upbeat makes the best trailers in Thailand (as you know I've already bought one
I wish I had it today- my bike was supposed to be delivered this afternoon, but the van broke down about four hours from the house

Wow! You really seem to enjoy being royally shafted.

Trailers are for Harley Riders in the states, a 100 mile ride is about it for most guys. Boys ride your bike nothing in Thailand is that far away

Before you label all us BOYS together, some of us do track days; with that take the extra gear to support the meeting... smile.png

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

Upbeat makes the best trailers in Thailand (as you know I've already bought one

I wish I had it today- my bike was supposed to be delivered this afternoon, but the van broke down about four hours from the house

Wow! You really seem to enjoy being royally shafted.

No, I like owning quality stuff if I can afford it.

There's a bit of a difference between a mechanical failure causing something to be late and being 'shafted' (though I realize most of your posts are trolls rather than honest replies so I'm guessing you already know that).

Tire size makes a huge difference- I got some excellent advice from friends in the US that have trailers- they all said stay away from small tires as that's a sure sign of a poorly-made trailer as it's the cheap way to go- it greatly affects ride quality, not to mention stopping ability.

You should do some research on a US-based web-board instead of asking here- there's not much actual experience on this thread (and that includes me, though I've studied quite a bit- I'm sure Garry knows what he's talking about, though).

Tire size makes a huge difference- I got some excellent advice from friends in the US that have trailers- they all said stay away from small tires as that's a sure sign of a poorly-made trailer as it's the cheap way to go- it greatly affects ride quality, not to mention stopping ability.

You should do some research on a US-based web-board instead of asking here- there's not much actual experience on this thread (and that includes me, though I've studied quite a bit- I'm sure Garry knows what he's talking about, though, and Mania owned one).

Edited by RubberSideDown

Trailers are for Harley Riders in the states, a 100 mile ride is about it for most guys. Boys ride your bike nothing in Thailand is that far away

I'm 10-12 hours from the areas I plan to ride- I wear full gear when I'm on the road (it gets a bit hot here), and I use my truck as a support system in case I break down or have a minor get- off- you have to rely on yourself in LOS. I did my touring days, and I want to avoid long distance riding at my choice (not that I would never tour, but that's not always going to be my goal).

• Like 1