Sea survivor: Bangladeshi cargo shipman recounts ordeal

webfact

Sea survivor: Bangladeshi cargo shipman recounts ordeal
Phuket Gazette

b.jpg
Bangladeshi crewman Abu Bakar Siddique of the MV Hope holds up his hand, shredded by trying to cling to the hole in the ship’s hull. Photo: Saran Mitrarat

PHUKET: -- Crewman Abu Bakar Siddique lies resting in a ward in Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town, recovering from his ordeal of being washed overboard from the cargo ship MV Hope amid heavy seas late Thursday night.

The MV Hope was overpowered by rough seas while en route from Penang, Malaysia, to Chittagong, Bangladesh. The ship was about 25 nautical miles south of Racha Noi Island when the heavy weather began to take its toll (story here).

“About 11pm, there was heavy rain and seas that made our ship shake,” he told the Phuket Gazette.

“Around midnight, the starboard side was hit by big waves and damaged. There was a big hole in the side and the ship started sinking,” he added.

There were 17 people on the ship when it started listing heavily.

“There were 12 of us on deck when the ship suddenly tipped. We all went overboard, but the other five people did not, as they were standing on the other side,” Mr Siddique explained.

“I was in the water. Strong waves kept hitting me and bashing my head against the side of the ship… I tried to grab where the waves had ripped open the hull, but I couldn’t hold on. I cut my fingers on the torn metal,” he said, raising his bandaged hand to show the cuts.

“I didn’t know where my friends were. I couldn’t see any of them,” he added.

“Then I saw a life preserver floating on the water. I grabbed it and held on. I saw the five people who were still on the ship being rescued by another ship, but that ship could not see me,” he said.

The five crewman – Fourth Engineer Md Abdul Hakim, Deck Cadets Moklechur Rahman, Mohammed Rubel, Mohammad Osman and Saiful Islam – were rescued by the German container ship Buxmoon, which responded to a distress signal activated by the crew before the ship was abandoned (see here).

“I lay with my face down on the life preserver and held it tight. That moment I thought about God, because he was the only one who could give me the strength to survive,” Mr Siddique explained.

“It kept raining and the sea was crazy. Then I heard a helicopter sound. In that moment, I knew I would survive” he added.

Exhausted from his ordeal, Mr Siddique remains grateful.

“The pain in my head isn’t much better, but thank God I am alive,” he said.

Officials from the Bangladesh embassy in Bangkok have arrived in Phuket to assist navy efforts in recovering their crewmen and the stricken MV Hope.

Two more survivors as well as the bodies of two men, yet to be identified but both believed to have been crewmen on the MV Hope, were recovered from the search area yesterday.

The search for more survivors continues today.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Sea-survivor-Bangladeshi-cargo-shipman-recounts-ordeal-21562.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-07-06

How could waves punch a hole in a ship like this?

The only explanation I can think of is that the hull must have consisted only of rust covered with paint.

You've no idea how powerful the sea can be.

You are wrong, I do. But I also know that a big problem with these kinds of ships is maintenance.

Edited by Espen

The only explanation I can think of is that the hull must have consisted only of rust covered with paint.

You've no idea how powerful the sea can be.

You are wrong, I do. But I also know that a big problem with these kinds of ships is maintenance.

The ship could have been struck by a semi-submerged object, or as you say, badly maintained plates were punched through by the seas.

Anyway, I am always happy to here about survivors from incidents like this. I can think of very few endings to life than being alone and drifting at sea. 25km doesn't sound like a great distance, but it would be an eternity for someone adrift in heavy seas at night.

Hope the guy makes a complete recovery.

• Like 2

Phuket Navy helicopter rescues cargo shipman in life raft

Phuket Gazette - Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:22:12 PM

_21547_phyYKpXWhy_jpeg.jpg

PHUKET: One more crew member from a foundering Bangladeshi cargo ship was rescued this afternoon when a Royal Thai Navy helicopter spotted him in a life raft, plucked him up from the broiling sea and flew him to safety.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Navy-helicopter-rescues-cargo-shipman-in-life-raft-21547.html

it is amazing the power that water has... especially the amount and volume involved when in rough seas...I could knock you down with a full bucket of water if you were unaware it was about to hit you....now multiply that by hundreds of thousands and you get an idea...the noise and vibration of big waves slamming against a hull needs to be experienced to be believed and can be very nerve wracking while it lasts/........

it is amazing the power that water has... especially the amount and volume involved when in rough seas...I could knock you down with a full bucket of water if you were unaware it was about to hit you....now multiply that by hundreds of thousands and you get an idea...the noise and vibration of big waves slamming against a hull needs to be experienced to be believed and can be very nerve wracking while it lasts/........

Hopefully you will only throw the water at me and not the bucket as well. wink.png

I`ve worked at sea for many years and know very well how powerful water can be. It should be impossible for waves to punch a hole in the hull of a ship like this if it is in good condition.

But whatever the reason, let`s hope they find the last missing sailors. sad.png