Possible to Set up True for My Neighbor Over the Wall and Use It?

bonobo

I recently moved into a new mooban. TOT has exclusive rights here for three years. The problem is that TOT absolutely sucks here. All last night and so far today, I've had less than 50 kps for both uploads and downloads.

My home is right up against the wall of the mooban. RIght over the wall is a nice old lady with whom I've become friendly. My question concerns the feasibility of giving her internet, then running a cable over to my side of the wall and into a router.

From the edge of my house, it is about 20-25 meters to her house.

Is this even technically feasible? I could either run a cable or get some sort of super modem that could reach that far, then maybe to a modem repeater at my house, if there is such a thing.

A cable would work great or you could do is to get your neighbor wifi and use a directional wifi antenna to beam a strong signal to your home. Then if needed in your home you could use a hi power wifi usb adapter and another directional antenna. Your wifi range can be extended up to kms.

There are many options for cheap DIY wifi antenna, http://lifehacker.com/5964111/diy-wi+fi-antenna-cheaply-extends-your-wireless-network, http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-WIFI-Antenna-Reception-Booster/, or http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/.

These actually work very well, as good or better then anything you could buy. I made one from a beer can that worked to get a signal thru two thick concrete wall. The simple can ones work very well.

You may be better of having the internet terminated into a router at her house and then run Ethernet by cable into your house and install a wireless access point at your house and use only wireless. It may also work on the wireless from the original router, but will be subject to fade out after some walls.

Example for wireless access point eg http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/tp-link/150mbps-wireless-n-access-point-tl-wa8951nd-p013892/

If you have a desktop then use a USB adaptor to wireless eg http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/tp-link/150mbps-wireless-n-usb-adapter-tl-wn721n-p013901/

I have recently set up two home offices using Tp-Link equipment and really easy to configure.

Cheers

We have WETV.

Which I suspect stands for, "WORST EVER TV."

It seems to be "Off the air" at some stage every week of late. They tell my wife they are "adjusting something" but never able to say what and for how long. Nor are they interested in "adjusting" the Monthly charges to take into account the amount of down-time they have.

If its cable Internet access you want

and you split at the coax, you will need a separate cable modem and pay.

If you're trying to get it free, then its best to tap after the cable modem, and at the wired/wireless router/switch.

If you want a secure access, you can run a cat5 cable (commonly called an Ethernet cable) from her router/switch to a switch in your house and maintain bandwidth and security.

And they have low loss, 30M and longer Cat5 cables.

Edited by jamhar

I think you first need to identify the access technology/service which might be available to your neighbor. You mention True, so I'm guessing you might mean DSL or DOCSIS from True Online? If so, which one is available or are you considering? Would the neighbor also be using the same internet access in her home?

The easiest, safest, most legal solution would be to terminate the access in her home, and then share it via WiFi. Extending the access via ethernet will present some challenges, as will extending the actual access media, for DSL or DOCSIS, and terminating that on your premises.

I'm also guessing you don't necessarily want to simply drape a cable from her home to yours, so the actual cable routed path/length might end up exceeding supported specs.

If its cable Internet access you want

and you split at the coax, you will need a separate cable modem and pay.

If you're trying to get it free, then its best to tap after the cable modem, and at the wired/wireless router/switch.

If you want a secure access, you can run a cat5 cable (commonly called an Ethernet cable) from her router/switch to a switch in your house and maintain bandwidth and security.

And they have low loss, 30M and longer Cat5 cables.

No such thing as low loss cat5 cable.

If the cable is cat5 it is good for 100 meters.