The Oven Bakery Baguettes at Rimpig Meechok

jagi00

The baguettes on 'The Oven' stand at Rimping Meechok are invariably stale and hard - I have yet to find any on display which could be considered fresh. Can anyone suggest a good supplier of bread in the San Sai area?

Most of the bread in Rimping Meechok is "old" also the pre packed bread is often a few days old.

I consider bread a day product, all bread not sold in a day is pig food.

I like the Rimping at the Iron bridge, they have a fresh bread backery.

But consume within a day!

Or freeze it and bring it to live again in the oven.

I do t know of any alternatives close to Meechok.

Maybe the little counter from Butter is better, but I dont like their bread.

• Like 1

I'm surprised with all the café/bakerys in Chiang Mai nobody's opened one at Mee Chok

I know there is a little one in Rimping but a more dedicated store with all the Western customers would seem viable

Most of the bread in Rimping Meechok is "old" also the pre packed bread is often a few days old.

I consider bread a day product, all bread not sold in a day is pig food.

I like the Rimping at the Iron bridge, they have a fresh bread backery.

But consume within a day!

Or freeze it and bring it to live again in the oven.

I do t know of any alternatives close to Meechok.

Maybe the little counter from Butter is better, but I dont like their bread.

They are also featuring a new brand, the name of which escapes me. But it is terrible tasting bread and twice now we've bought this new brand and it begins to mold within about 24 hours regardless of what the date says. They used to feature mostly JJ but there has been a recent change. There has also been a recent change with the French bread, for the worse.

Butter is Better used to have very good French bread at their Meechok counter but they stopped offering about 2 years ago now. Tesco bread is no good (IMO). Big C has good bread but a big hassle to go, park, etc. just to get bread!

Unfortunately not in the San Sai area but still has very good baguettes.

It is called Na Na Croissant. It is owned by a French man and his Thai wife. They have good coffee and fresh baked Danish pastry, croissants, muffins, baguettes, and quiche.There is room to sit indoors, though I prefer to sit at the outside tables that are in a nice tree-shaded area.

I have been there twice and the coffee and baked goods have been consistently good ... and very reasonably priced. I had two cappuccinos, a chocolate Danish, and a ham and cheese croissant while I was there and got a baguette and small quiche to take away. Total cost was 165 baht.

Here is a Google Maps link to show you the location. It is out to the southeast near the intersection of 1141 and 106. they are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. If you get lost or need directions, you can give them a call at 086-586-5405. If you are going specifically for bread, you might give then a call ahead to make sure they aren't sold out.

I have attached a couple of pictures of the food.

Maybe I'll see you there.

David

What he said, great bread, fantastic fresh chocolate croisants.

Baking baguettes takes about 1 hour and price is about 30% compared to markets. And self made is mostly fresh. Good convection ovens cost around 8000-10000THB and with it can make any kind of bread.

It is called Na Na Croissant. It is owned by a French man and his Thai wife. They have good coffee and fresh baked Danish pastry, croissants, muffins, baguettes, and quiche.There is room to sit indoors, though I prefer to sit at the outside tables that are in a nice tree-shaded area.

I have been there twice and the coffee and baked goods have been consistently good ... and very reasonably priced. I had two cappuccinos, a chocolate Danish, and a ham and cheese croissant while I was there and got a baguette and small quiche to take away. Total cost was 165 baht.

Here is a Google Maps link to show you the location. It is out to the southeast near the intersection of 1141 and 106. they are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. If you get lost or need directions, you can give them a call at 086-586-5405. If you are going specifically for bread, you might give then a call ahead to make sure they aren't sold out.

David

Thanks for the name and pictures. Now if I can find the soi off 1141 will pay them a visit next week.

Bread o.k at Makro on Hang Dong Road and also at Yamazaki Bakery in Airport Plaza and Kad Suen Kaew..........

Yamazaki puts sugar in their bread to appeal to the Thai's. bah.gif

Yamakazi has the best baguettes in town. Not too sweet at all. The lady seller at KSK said 90% are sold to "farangs"...So there ya go.

• Like 1

Not in your area, however 2 places come to mind:

1) Kasem store a few blocks from Warorot Mkt - the bakery is at the that store and the other ia on nimmanhamin.

2) A small bakery owned by an Englishman on Chiang Mai Land Rd -- about 2 blocks in from Mahidol on the left near the corner -- a bit hard to spot, but it's recognized by the greenery out front. Excellent sour dough and their brownies are the best.

From both stores I slice off bread for today and securely wrap the remainder and freeze it for up to a week. The brownies I eat one and refrigerate a few more. Now that I've moved out close to Mee Chok and Rimping where I avoid their bread (and the same for other Rimpings), am in a bit of a quandary as you find yourself..

• Like 1

David

Thanks for the name and pictures. Now if I can find the soi off 1141 will pay them a visit next week.
Just check the Google link and you can see where it is.

David

I've never had a problem with the freshness of bread at Rimping but over the years, I have noticed a decline in the "Customer Service" follow-ups.

Years ago, we wanted Hoy Sin Sacuce to have with Dim Sum. Young assistant couldn't locate it on a shelf in the store, then went out back, checked his stock list, found there were several jars in the store room and produced them for us. This was at the Rimping store that is now a Tops Super Market.

Also years ago at the Airport Rimping, I wanted TOMMY brand Mustard. They didn't stock it but took our contact details and a few weeks later phoned my wife to say it had arrived.

We went back to Australia to live for a while and came back here two years ago. Things have changed! Rimping Airport had some excellent "BirdsEye" brand Baby Green Peas. We bought most of what was in their freezer a couple of times and then there was NONE!! I have now been asking for 18 Months as to WHEN they will get more. "Soon" is the response. I've even contacted them via their Web Site a couple of times to see if they are going to get some more. NO RESPONSE to date. Ah RIMPING, we still shop at your stores but they just are not as good as they used to be. Understand that the Rimping Super Market near Koolpunt 9 at Kad Falang is to be expanded.... Hope they lift the game back to what it used to be .

I've never had a problem with the freshness of bread at Rimping but over the years, I have noticed a decline in the "Customer Service" follow-ups.

Years ago, we wanted Hoy Sin Sacuce to have with Dim Sum. Young assistant couldn't locate it on a shelf in the store, then went out back, checked his stock list, found there were several jars in the store room and produced them for us. This was at the Rimping store that is now a Tops Super Market.

Also years ago at the Airport Rimping, I wanted TOMMY brand Mustard. They didn't stock it but took our contact details and a few weeks later phoned my wife to say it had arrived.

We went back to Australia to live for a while and came back here two years ago. Things have changed! Rimping Airport had some excellent "BirdsEye" brand Baby Green Peas. We bought most of what was in their freezer a couple of times and then there was NONE!! I have now been asking for 18 Months as to WHEN they will get more. "Soon" is the response. I've even contacted them via their Web Site a couple of times to see if they are going to get some more. NO RESPONSE to date. Ah RIMPING, we still shop at your stores but they just are not as good as they used to be. Understand that the Rimping Super Market near Koolpunt 9 at Kad Falang is to be expanded.... Hope they lift the game back to what it used to be .

The Kad Farang branch is not being expanded. They are building a new Rim Ping altogether, opposite the old one. It will have its own bakery (same as Nim City) and coffee shop. Due to finish around Christmas the manager told me. lol, No chance whatsoever, mid 2014 my bet.

Baking baguettes takes about 1 hour and price is about 30% compared to markets. And self made is mostly fresh. Good convection ovens cost around 8000-10000THB and with it can make any kind of bread.

Do a web search for some great recipes and make your own delicious and fresh baguettes. Yes, I know that it would require just a little motivation and getting away from the tellie for a while. But worth it.

Yamakazi has the best baguettes in town. Not too sweet at all. The lady seller at KSK said 90% are sold to "farangs"...So there ya go.

Let's spell that " Farang's " to stay within the forum styleguide.

Oh them Thai's. :bah:

Na Na Croissant is my pick for baguettes and bread at the moment. They now seem to bake several times a day and the baguettes are often warm - fresher than that you can't get. Their lasagne is good too and they sell it chilled to take away in portions that will serve 2 for 100 baht - add a baguette with butter, garlic and oil from the oven and a couple of lettuce leaves each and you've got a great meal for two for 150 baht smile.png .

They are clearly getting busier and, while I wish them every success, I do hope that they don't try to scale up their business without at the very least some very careful thought . So often, trying to capture the market that beckons leads to higher prices and inferior product, especially here as good staff seem difficult to find and retain.

Edited by Greenside

I got fed up with the bakery department at Rimping, Meechock. I had asked them to order some bagels for me, and they refused saying that the bakery (Dailyicious) cannot supply them with anymore that what they order. I then contacted Dailyicious directly, and they bring bagels to me directly. I either meet them at Meechock Plaza or they deliver them to my house. I am sure that you could do the same with the supplier of the bread that you are interested in.

Let's spell that " Farang's " to stay within the forum styleguide.

Oh them Thai's. bah.gif

The grandma police back on the case.

Who cares...???rolleyes.gif

I got fed up with the bakery department at Rimping, Meechock. I had asked them to order some bagels for me, and they refused saying that the bakery (Dailyicious) cannot supply them with anymore that what they order. I then contacted Dailyicious directly, and they bring bagels to me directly. I either meet them at Meechock Plaza or they deliver them to my house. I am sure that you could do the same with the supplier of the bread that you are interested in.

Ah yes bread delivery. When I lived in Spain I would get up in the morning and 2 large, fresh baguettes would be hanging on the gate. Considering they don't get started too early in Spain, freshly baked bread was delivered in the village by about 9:00. I'm surprised some entrepreneur has not offered this service here.