Wham Bam Thank You Scam

bankei

I can understand his frustration but the guy has absolutely no common sense, getting his pants ripped down investing in a company without any formal checks then actually going to chang mai on his own unable to communicate and willing to walk right into danger. I think he was extremely lucky nothing happened to him. Now for the reality, im willing to bet the American scammer got scammed himself by his thai GF and her father.

• Like 2

I got six minutes into the documentary and felt it was quite unusual that he didn't seem greedy or after unrealistic returns. I'm just baffled why he only did something as basic as trying to call the company after investing $110,000. I feel sorry for him and will probably watch the rest of the documentary but I just don't understand why.

I was intrigued for the first 30 odd minutes until he said that due to the civil and political unrest in Thailand he was unable to return and then gives the impression that Thailand was almost at war for 2 years and when he arrives at Chiang Mai station speaks as if Chiang Mai was under siege. After that the guy and the whole documentary lost credibility for me. I thought, what a plonker.

Why did he not just hang about, get photos of all the residences of these people and perhaps the Thai man`s daughter and the American guy, or even paid some Thais to do the surveillance and get photos, rather than attempt to confront the guy himself without any official backup. He could have obtained photos of the guy and then gone to the Thai police, as he would have been able to identify these people, broken the loophole in the law and the police would have become involved.

He went about the whole investigation arse about face.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was intrigued for the first 30 odd minutes until he said that due to the civil and political unrest in Thailand he was unable to return and then gives the impression that Thailand was almost at war for 2 years and when he arrives at Chiang Mai station speaks as if Chiang Mai was under siege. After that the guy and the whole documentary lost credibility for me. I thought, what a plonker.

Why did he not just hang about, get photos of all the residences of these people and perhaps the Thai man`s daughter and the American guy, or even paid some Thais to do the surveillance and get photos, rather than attempt to confront the guy himself without any official backup. He could have obtained photos of the guy and then gone to the Thai police, as he would have been able to identify these people, broken the loophole in the law and the police would have become involved.

He went about the whole investigation arse about face.

I had the same thoughts as you .I moved to Thailand myself at the height of the trouble in Bangkok ,and it did not put me off .He lost two years so for sure the trail had gone cold .Also when he gets to Hillside 2 Condo ,he can not trace the Honda Wave ,due to the Thai script .All he had to do was look out for the numerals ,as he had the full registration ,suposidly .Anyway i did feel sorry for the guy even though he was very foolish .The scammers are pure evil and if Karma exists ,i would not like to be in their shoes .

• Like 1

Classic De Vere boiler room written all over this,we know what they say about a fool and there money .

Wow, I was almost going to pass this thread by.

Picked up my phone just over a week ago, had a missed call on it. Didn't recognise the number, but I rang it back anyway. Something I don't normally do. Anyway it was a not so good English speaking Thai female who I didn't know from a bar of soap. I told her I was returning a call and I asked what she wanted. She asked me my name. I told her my first name and asked again what she wanted. She then asked for my surname. Alarm bells sounded and I asked if she was 'selling' anything and if she was a telemarketer. She then stammered and hesitated. That's when I said bye bye and hung up.

A couple of days later I got a phone call from a very smooth silky dude, referring to me by my first name. He told me he was from the 'Devere Group'. More alarm bells. I told him I wasn't buying anything he had for sale and to bugger off and hung up.

So my suspicions were correct then. I wonder how they got my number.

A couple of days later I got a phone call from a very smooth silky dude, referring to me by my first name. He told me he was from the 'Devere Group'. More alarm bells. I told him I wasn't buying anything he had for sale and to bugger off and hung up.

No no, you're doing it wrong. You tell them you are sending them money immediately via Western Union and even give them the number.

When they come back saying that it was wrong you apologize and say that you mistook one number and the correct number is .....

Repeat until they don't contact you again.

Classic De Vere boiler room written all over this,we know what they say about a fool and there money .

Wow, I was almost going to pass this thread by.

Picked up my phone just over a week ago, had a missed call on it. Didn't recognise the number, but I rang it back anyway. Something I don't normally do. Anyway it was a not so good English speaking Thai female who I didn't know from a bar of soap. I told her I was returning a call and I asked what she wanted. She asked me my name. I told her my first name and asked again what she wanted. She then asked for my surname. Alarm bells sounded and I asked if she was 'selling' anything and if she was a telemarketer. She then stammered and hesitated. That's when I said bye bye and hung up.

So my suspicions were correct then. I wonder how they got my number.

Was the bloke from Devere called Dave? He seems to be the biggest scammer at the present time.

I couldn't tell you, the conversation did not progress that far. All I remember that his voice and accent was very 'smooth' and professional, I remember thinking maybe very refined, educated Indian or Sri Lankan perhaps.

Another revelation was how disinterested HSBC Bank were .

What were you expecting them to do?

They can't give him back the money, can they?

I did not expect them to give back the money ,but at least do something to stop the scammers acting again threw their Bank .Is that too much to ask ?

How are they getting your numbers? I'd guess that someone from the phone suppliers is selling them their client list. They'll be pouring through them to find farang names and away they go. Somebody, somewhere in Thailand is selling your contact details.

Hmm as far as I know my name is not associated with my phone or SIM, I occasionally give it out for what seems like a good purpose like the Toyota dealer. I do get the odd cold call but they always are speaking very quickly in Thai, beyond my ability so I just tell them I speak English and have never heard from one again.

I don't think I'll bother watching the movie only came here because of the title, thought it might be a bit more interestingcoffee1.gif

I did not expect them to give back the money ,but at least do something to stop the scammers acting again threw their Bank .Is that too much to ask ?

Yes it is too much to ask a bank to suspend a business bank account on the strength of one complainant who walks in off the street as this guy did.

You either need to provide evidence and/or make your case part of a group of claimants with the same grievance.

The guy did neither.

Yes it is too much to ask a bank to suspend a business bank account on the strength of one complainant who walks in off the street as this guy did.

You either need to provide evidence and/or make your case part of a group of claimants with the same grievance.

The guy did neither.

Well the police in each Country did not want to know .The least HSBC could have done is get somebody connected with Bank fraud within the Bank to talk to him .Seems they have no fraud department though .Scammers are king and lauded also on this Forum .

Accoring to this Forum it is 100% the victoms fault ,so you can only mock the guy .

Edited by anto

at home where i grew up, people kept a chain on the inside of the door.

you could open to a solicitor, but he couldn't open any further by himself as the chain would stop him.

That's the way one should treat intrusions made up as business opportunities.

Always apply a chain, and then start thinking about it the hard way before you allow someone to put his foot into the open door.