Smartphone/Tablet with phone function - 6.x" - 7". Limit ~10K Baht. Ideas?

looking for such a device.

At the moment, I use two separate devices.

This is annoying and so I am looking for a "Phablet", to replace my tablet (aka "just a toy")

• Not (much) more than 10.000 Baht
  • 6.3" - 7" display
  • min. Android 4.1
  • GPS
  • resolution min. 1280 x xxxx

Any ideas / suggestions?

EDIT: wrong forum, can any of the mods move this to the "internet-forum"?

Edited by Turkleton
  • Like 1

That looks quite nifty. I'm on the lookout for something similar and I'd have no qualms about using a hands-free set instead of talking into a roof-tile w00t.gif

Ah - hang on -- no camera apart from the front-facing webcam :( That's a big mistake by Asus :(

Edited by jpinx

Without rear camera, a no go.

But the US version, seems to have a rear camera.

And I read, that not all apps are compatible with the AtomX86-CPU.

But meanwhile, I found this.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/original-Star-H7000-7-inch-IPS-1280-800px-Tablet-PC-MTK8377-mtk6577-Dual-Core-mini-3G/839235147.html

Available with Dual + Quad-core CPU

And Dual-Sim!

Looks interesting

or google them smile.png

very helpful.....facepalm.gif

And where is the I-mobile phone with a minimum display size of 6.3"? Link?

That reference was for I-note 3 which is WiFi only without phone option and operating system is 4.0 rather than 4.1 but only costs 5k so good value for tablet but not for your use.

UPDATE:

I've bought the Asus FonePad today at TukCom Pattaya for 7400 Baht.

Firmware is 4.1.2, but the phone shows me, that an Update is available.

And the phone has two cameras!

It seems, that only the EU devices have only one camera.

Time for tinkering...biggrin.png

Need root.

Hello,

What I would suggest is a "phablet" that I just purchased from True--I will include a link below to their page with very detailed info on it. It certainly is not perfect, but it is pretty darn good, considering its features and, then, of course, its price of only 4,950 baht--far less than the 10,000 baht limit wanted and far cheaper than an i pad mini or samsung note 8 territory.

It is a 7 inch tablet with wha tthey call an HD screen--1024X600--not bad really and of course, can take a sim card and has the ph feature, which I have used with true's ismart ph/internet 3G package--which includes unlimited True Wifi access as well--and there are a lot of true wifi hotspots all over the country. can use a prepaid sim, like I am using or with a WP cannot set up an account.

a few other key features--two cameras--has only 16 GB of internal storage, but, which the ipad mini and some others do not have, offers a micro sd slot for up to an additonal 32 GB of storage. usb charging connection, etc

has a dual core processor and 1 GB Ram--has Androld Jellybean 4.1, blutooth, GPS and more

plus, any problems you can take it to any true store all over thailand--i had one minor problem, but it was not with the hardware, but understanding the True ID sent to me for use with the True Wifi and stopped by the True shop and they very quickly showed me how to change all messages to English and explained and demo'd more of the tablet's features.

Again, for a 7' tablet, with those features and more, and costing just 4,950 bath--hard to go wrong--not a big loss if it gets stolen or broken or you decide on something fancier in the near future--I use it when I run around and want a tablet convenient for email (Gmail, took all of a few minutes to set up) or ph calls.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/product/detail/1231/TRUE_BEYOND_TAB#promotion

^^

not bad, for that price.

But, it doesn't support 900MHZ 3G, so it's a no go, if you want to use it with AIS 3G. (What I do)

One more reason, I decided to buy the Asus, is the support from the community (xda developers)

Though the Fonepad is relatively new, they found already a method to root it.

And 7400 Baht for the Asus, is not really expensive.

Only one point of criticism: I have to cut out my Sim-card to the "Micro-Sim" size rolleyes.gif

Edited by Turkleton

^^

this is a Chinese, absolutely low end device, only 512 MB Ram, and only dual-band GSM/3G.

I suspect, it will be very sluggish and may end as a "dust collector" after a few days...whistling.gif

After bad experiences with two Chinese tablets, one a 8000 Baht mid-range tablet (Onda V972 QUAD-Core), the other one an A10 (last year),

I will pay a few bucks more, to get a usable device.

The general problem with these Chinese devices is the unprofessional/poorly adapted firmware.

Not the hardware, which are usually standard parts.

I'd be happy with a 7" screen if it was not surrounded by such a big border

Yes, the borders are unnecessarily wide.

Edited by Turkleton

^^

this is a Chinese, absolutely low end device, only 512 MB Ram, and only dual-band GSM/3G.

I suspect, it will be very sluggish and may end as a "dust collector" after a few days...whistling.gif

After bad experiences with two Chinese tablets, one a 8000 Baht mid-range tablet (Onda V972 QUAD-Core), the other one an A10 (last year),

I will pay a few bucks more, to get a usable device.

The general problem with these Chinese devices is the unprofessional/poorly adapted firmware.

Not the hardware, which are usually standard parts.

Yes - it's probably not going to be up to much, but I need a device of this nature as a platform to learn how to make android do a lot of the things my eeepc does when running linux - like plugging into my TV/monitor and doing fancy stuff like split-screen, rotating, etc. and working with my wireless keyboard, etc etc. The eeepc is 5 years old now and I don't want it to catch me out when it dies ;)

Any/all comments would be appreciated :)

Hello,

What I would suggest is a "phablet" that I just purchased from True--I will include a link below to their page with very detailed info on it. It certainly is not perfect, but it is pretty darn good, considering its features and, then, of course, its price of only 4,950 baht--far less than the 10,000 baht limit wanted and far cheaper than an i pad mini or samsung note 8 territory.

It is a 7 inch tablet with wha tthey call an HD screen--1024X600--not bad really and of course, can take a sim card and has the ph feature, which I have used with true's ismart ph/internet 3G package--which includes unlimited True Wifi access as well--and there are a lot of true wifi hotspots all over the country. can use a prepaid sim, like I am using or with a WP cannot set up an account.

a few other key features--two cameras--has only 16 GB of internal storage, but, which the ipad mini and some others do not have, offers a micro sd slot for up to an additonal 32 GB of storage. usb charging connection, etc

has a dual core processor and 1 GB Ram--has Androld Jellybean 4.1, blutooth, GPS and more

plus, any problems you can take it to any true store all over thailand--i had one minor problem, but it was not with the hardware, but understanding the True ID sent to me for use with the True Wifi and stopped by the True shop and they very quickly showed me how to change all messages to English and explained and demo'd more of the tablet's features.

Again, for a 7' tablet, with those features and more, and costing just 4,950 bath--hard to go wrong--not a big loss if it gets stolen or broken or you decide on something fancier in the near future--I use it when I run around and want a tablet convenient for email (Gmail, took all of a few minutes to set up) or ph calls.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/product/detail/1231/TRUE_BEYOND_TAB#promotion

I was under the impression that this Tablet is locked and can only be used with a True SIM card ? , can you please confirm this

Thanks wai.gif

Any one seen these new Tablets for sale in Thailand Yet ?

1. ASUS Fonepad 2 / 7 inch

with a faster 1.6GHz Z2460 plus 32GB of memory

http://www.siamphone.com/spec/asus/fonepad_32gb.htm

or

2. Acer Iconia A1-811 / 7.9 inch / 3G

This is Acer Iconia A1 Tablet. Marketed as a "one-handed tablet," this 7" Android slate offers up a 7.9" LED-backlit (IPS) display with a 1024x768 screen resolution, ( 162 ppi pixel density ) a 5MP camera, 7-hour battery life, MediaTek Quad Core 1.2GHz processor and access to the Google Play store.

Thanks wai.gif

or

This is Acer Iconia A1 Tablet. Marketed as a "one-handed tablet," this 7" Android slate offers up a 7.9" LED-backlit (IPS) display with a 1024x768 screen resolution, ( 162 ppi pixel density ) a 5MP camera, 7-hour battery life, MediaTek Quad Core 1.2GHz processor and access to the Google Play store.

Thanks wai.gif

do you have a link and price for the Acer ? wai.gif

or

Thanks wai.gif

do you have a link and price for the Acer ? wai.gif

Hi , sorry no Thai links yet , I spotted it here ---

Price wise it says £185 .00 ( 8,700 ฿ )

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/acer-iconia-a1-revealed-as-ipad-mini-rival

Ive asked at an Acer shop , and was told any time now rolleyes.gif