Wireless Connection Problems

MartinL

I have a TP-Link TD-W8951ND wireless modem, bought about 2 months ago.

I use Windows 7 Home OS & TOT as ISP.

When my laptop is connected to the modem by cable, there is very little problem with accessing the internet - dropouts rarely occur, suggesting the TOT connection isn't too bad.

However, when connected wirelessly, it's a different matter. The wireless connection frequently drops out after only 1 or 2 minutes use. Sometimes I can re-establish the connection by turning off the wireless button on my computer then turning it back on again after a few seconds, following which I might have another 5 minutes trouble-free use, other times - most frequently - I have to shutdown the modem & restart it, again followed by a few minutes untroubled connection. Occasionally the "Network & Sharing Centre" shows the problem is between modem and IP, but most times it suggests the modem is not transmitting at all - it doesn't show-up among the available wireless connections.

The problem isn't limited to my own laptop - wife & stepsons experience exactly the same problem on their coms. - Acer & Samsung machines.

Any ideas on how this might be remedied?

The modem has a warranty from the seller & a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. Don't know whether either of them is worth a light. I'll probably take the thing back to the seller but maybe someone can suggest a solution here.

Many thanks for any method you can suggest to overcome this problem.

Sounds like problem with modem wireless so a few things to check. Are the antenna secured firmly to the connectors? Does the problem happen straight away or a while after the modem has been running. How far from modem to laptop and how many walls?

Just an aside I had similar problems with my modem and blew out 3 in about a year. The surface temperature of the modems when running was pretty warm as they rely on convection cooling. I now have my modem mounted on one of those USB fan coolers for laptops, much cooler and no more problems.

Cheers

Thanks for something to be thinking about.

The aerial is secure.

I can look at the modem first thing in the morning - when it's at its coolest, presumably, although I DO leave it running constantly - and all 4 indicator lights are illuminated. Almost as soon as I try to connect wirelessly, the connection is lost – most times, not every time - and I have to go through the restart procedures I describe above. The laptop is usually 20 feet (6m) from the modem at most with one wall between, but the same problem can occur when I'm 3 feet from the modem.

The point about overheating is a good one although the modem’s in a location that gets reasonable air circulation and the room is one of the cooler ones in the house and is often air-conditioned in the evening, but the problem occurs even then.

Try the touch test and if it feels hotter than the surrounding furniture etc then it may be overheating. If warm/hot try putting a fan on it and try the wireless when the case temperature cools, about 5 minutes should do.

If the force cooling works then get modem replaced under warranty as it is heat damaged and will completely fail at some point in the near future. I would take it back under warranty as the manufacturers have failed to ensure it can operate in the local environment. Probably best not to confuse the local retailer with that info though. A simple wireless no good and they will probably give you an exchange unit.

My setup now consist of a 4 port extension lead with two switches. One switch powers up modem and AC power to USB convertor for USB fan cooler for the modem, the other is for my network drive if I need it. Been working like that without problems for about 6 months now. The surface temperature of the modem is the same as the cabinet it is mounted on and I seem to get a better data rate on downloads with the modem running cooler.

Cheers

Did you ever try a reset of your router? Just a thought If that doesn't work, bring it back to the shop and let them try to get a wireless connection.,.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

As the others have said really sounds like you have been unlucky and there is something wrong with the radio or a connection.

One other possibility to check maybe the security settings for the network. This seemed to cause some infrequent drop outs on a work router as it was set to a lower level of security which apparently Win7 did not like. Not sure what your 3 computers are running but it may be something to look at.

There is normally a method to set your transmit channel and that can make a big difference if there is local interference of some type. I would try manually setting several different channels and see how it works before giving up (it is probably set for auto which does not always mean best).

• Like 1

I trashed my new modem that had all the bells and whistles as I was having similar issues as you describe.

So, went back to the standard issue ISP wireless modem

Its all trouble free again.

I have heard stories that when western faulty products are returned, they are "refurbished" and then are sold into Thailand. In one case, I went through 5 brand new Hard Drives until one worked. I never had so many HW issues like this back in Australia.

Edited by thhMan

It looks your TP link has a problem with the hardware. Since you experience problems with another 2 devises you can safely disregard problems related to all your devices. You can try do as follows.

1. Connect to the router by a rj45 lan cable.

2. Search manufacturing webpage for an updated firmware (if any)

3. Update your firmware if possible through the update feature in your router NOTE: do not on any point break the update process once it has been started.

4. Once the process has completed set up your router again. Security, network name and desired channel for WiFi and restart the router Note: do not hard reset!.

5. Diconnonect the land cable and test the router simply by browsing around internet. Also try to note down the signal strength 40% would be enough for browsing around.

6. If the WiFi fall out again, check if it disconnect from WiFi or if the router simply lost its wan IP adress in what case internet applications will not work but you will still be connected to the WiFi.

7. However strange it may sound a too strong connection can cribble the network. Move away from your router to test it.

8. Work not work, if the last is the case you can try changing the security settings in your router to WEP which is the old security settings...all WiFi devices will work with this.

9. Still not working?. Head out to buy a new router as the fault is related to a hardware component inside your router. I recommend that you do not work any further with the router as it will make you wake up 1 day as a baldie..ofc if you already dropped you hair that won't bother you I think.

All the above is a complete pain in the a.. And you have been unlucky with your router. If nothing of the above work.Save yourself the trouble and simply buy a new router. TP products works fine nothing wrong with the brand you have just been unlucky and get a faulty device.

I hope you get I fixed and sorry for my poor English I'm not a native speaker..cheers

I would also recommend changing channels. It does sound a little like an interference problem to me.

Some locations have an incredible number of WiFi points on air and all fighting for channels.

Perhaps consider buying a router (and dongles) with the newer 5GHz band

• Like 2

Upgrading all his equipment to the new standard N networking (5 gzh) can be extreamly costly and unless he buy the new b/g/n ( which is is even pricier because it supports the 2.4 and 5 GHz at the same time) the "old" 5 GHz does not support it at the same time that means if he connects any equipment not supporting the n standards ( PlayStation, iPhone, ect ect.) The entire network will be set back to the old standards automatically by the router and in that case he didn't improve anything. No...update your firmware..change the channels, set the router to wep security. If that does not work change your router..

I would also recommend changing channels. It does sound a little like an interference problem to me.

Some locations have an incredible number of WiFi points on air and all fighting for channels.

Perhaps consider buying a router (and dongles) with the newer 5GHz band

That was my thought as well (although the heat problems people are talking about have certainly been common with wireless routers as well - I've been through half a dozen of 'em)... There's a free app you can get for android (assuming you have or can borrow one) that can graphically depict all the channels in use around you and their signal strength. By using it, you can quickly & easily determine the optimum channel to use for your wifi, or at least the ones to definitely avoid. Wifi Analytics Tool I think it's called.

With respect to the heating problem, the last one I bought I made sure to use the included stand (so it stands up on end for better cooling). I've had it longer than any of its predecessors, and it runs continuously. Once or twice a year the transmitter will just turn off for no reason - I just access it (via a wired connection), and reset the radio, and it's fine again.

Edited by hawker9000

I experienced the same problems a month or so back, it was happening for a long period of time. I am a very experienced telecommunications tech, and have worked on computers for many years, but this fault had me stumped. finally after changing modems (hate that word, because they really aren't modems) and wireless adaptors, traced the fault to my d-link adaptor, in 54M/s mode it would randomly lose connection, after changing my "modem" settings to 145Mbps all was ok.

Edited by Rorri
  • Like 1

Likewise had my wifi dropping internet quite frequently. The Manager of my ISP came along and carried out a variety of tests (all way beyond my decaying grey matter) and he concluded that the electricity was surging up and down and suggested I buy and plug in to an UnInterupted Power Supply Pack (UPS). It looks and acts like a battery, but when the power surges/drops, this device negates the adverse effects of that. My internet and wifi have been working wonders ever since and the ISP Manager has discovered he rather enjoys "a wee dram" - bottle sized!giggle.gif

Don't check anything, just buy a new modem, it happens sometimes that some modems do not work with some connections and there no explanation to find.

Last time my Dlink modem didnt work with 3BB, I bought a new Linksys and no more problem.

But actually this Dlink works well with TOT connection.

You will loose your time by trying anything else when a router modem only cost 1000 thb.

Wife's computer was dropping or refusing to connect. Turns out Lenovo's own ReadyConn software was the problem. Found the solution by Google-ing the computer and the issue.

When there is so much wrong with the world (it might seem), there is Google to confound and amaze...

You have a lot of good suggestions here. I can't fault any of them.

It is very possible for a printed circuit board to lose a connection when it warms up. The fiberglass will expand at a different rate than the printed circuits on it, and open a connection. I'm not saying that's your problem.

I would put the unit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Then I would quickly hook it up while cold and go online wirelessly. If it worked well while cold but then started dropping the connection after it warmed up I would trash it.

Good luck.

I would not be putting anything electrical into a refrigerator and then running it. Moisture and electronic circuits are not a good combination. As suggested earlier the normal laptop fan coolers should work fine or as a check using a hair dryer in fan mode. But in my experience TP-Link unit never ran very hot (although if running torrents that might change and suspect may vary by model - my Dlink ran very hot).