Walen School in Chiang Mai - new branch @Curve open for business

MacWalen

Hi Guys, I am pleased to announce that the new branch of Walen School located in Chiang Mai at Curve is now open for business. Now Walen School has two branches in Chiang Mai and one in Chiang Rai, and also a new one coming soon in Lampang. thumbsup.gif

Maprang is our manager @Curve, I believe she will make a great manager, also she is a wonderful teacher.

post-46756-0-34498600-1373290000_thumb.j

Edited by MacWalen
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Walen School in Chiang Mai is doing well. Walen managers are doing a great job. If you study at Walen you will recognise Cindy and Goi in the picture, both are excellent managers and Thai teachers. I just took a few Walen managers with me for a few days to Korea. It was a lot of fun. Walen is a great business, we enjoy what we do and don't work just for the money. Join us, you will not be disappointed.

post-46756-0-73117800-1392901528_thumb.j

Edited by MacWalen
  • Like 1

Ah, the marketeer of local marketeers is back with a new branch store !! The PT Barnum of Chiang Mai is back !!! TV sponsors are quite legitimately given an opportunity to market in forum topics and posts. You have to love this guy! Pure entertainment, if anything! Just remember PT Barnum's famous motto! (Google it!) Below, I eventually recommend some alternatives and the suggestion to shop around.

Anyway, the effectiveness of McW's method of instruction is at the very least arguable. McW makes claims but has never really posted anything other than repeatedly mentioning "customer satisfaction," as I recall.

I enjoy the photos posted. McW does hire very lovely young women. Why does he picture them? Especially in Korea! Don't see any other sorts in his ads, but, of course, they are reflective of typical effective language "instructors" in Chiang Mai. Wonder why are they always central in his advertising? In addition, If you read past posts, it is apparent that there might be other incentives for clients (having absolutely nothing to do with women or the instructors ) that are not mentioned by him.

Ask him about his method of instruction and the teachers' qualifications to teach, if you are interested. He will probably say, basically, as he has said many, many, many times that you should come by, sit in, get to know us, et cetera.

About marketing, I took another look at his photos. I have some questions about them, and McW has always been willing to ask people to stop by, try the school out, et cetera. With such attractive instructors, who wouldn't !!

One recurrent claim that has always interested me is " *UNLIMITED* [his emphasis, not mine] STAY IN THAILAND FREE ED VISA. " Now, who might that appeal to and what are the specifics of this promise? How is it repotted, confirmed and regulated? And with whom at the Department of Immigration? If you advertise here, McW, wouldn't it be appropriate to detail this benefit?

Looking at his promotional photos, one other thing caught my eye. The top photo. At the resolution normally available, it looks a bit like a Thai health instructor showing young adolescent students how to use a condom. The banana demonstration is commonly known. He might want to consider using another photo.

All that said, I am still hopeful that he succeeds in starting up his dance school, the most recent enterprise he has advertised in Chiang Mai. Check out the video he provided on TV !!! Awesomely talented dancer!! And maybe some of his instructors could use some overtime!

Oh yes! Alternatives! There are many in Chiang Mai, and it is true that one size does not fit all. Try a range of them. Try the AUA or the YMCA. Yes, and there are a plethora of private schools, some offering the tantalizing prospect of an "easy" Ed visa. Other posters will have recommendations. For newcomers who are legitimately interested in learning Thai, you should have lots of questions to ask !!

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 2

Give the guy a break. I too find him annoying as hell but you must admit that he does know how to market his business.

Congratulations on your new store. You do seem aggressive in your expansions.

Don't saturate the market. Perhaps McWalen is going to start shops in Korea.

I wonder if you added the Mc to the name to keep link yourself with the fast food of education.

Ya know...I have no opinion on the Op nor the school having never met or used either.

But there sure is a lot of venom in the replies.

The thing i don't get is afaik he is a sponsor right?

So he pays a fee to be able to promote his business here.

Why wouldn't he promote it? Why if he does would folks then jump in his stuff for doing

this so called shameful self promotion? Would be like someone paying for a billboard &

then being accused of having the audacity of putting a promotion on it.

Ya know...I have no opinion on the Op nor the school having never met or used either.

Why wouldn't he promote it? Why if he does would folks then jump in his stuff for doing

this so called shameful self promotion? Would be like someone paying for a billboard &

Well said. He seems to be running a successful business, advertises the fact on a forum he sponsors and draws flak for it. Sad envious little people is my thought.

Hope he sets up in Kanchanaburi one day as I'd certainly give his school a try.

• Like 1

Never understood the hate either.

It's like hating a certain commercial on TV. Flip the channel or don't open the thread.

I think the thing the irks TVFers is that he is successful. It's not "fair" that he can run this game while countless of restaurants and bars fail.

He's working and advertising to get more customers, make more money, not because he gives a damn about what people on the internet think, and obviously he is making customers happy if he continues to open up new branches. You might not be happy with the service if you went, but it seems plenty are.

TD;DL

post-30367-0-86628700-1392951959_thumb.j

• Like 2

Ah, the marketeer of local marketeers is back with a new branch store !! The PT Barnum of Chiang Mai is back !!! TV sponsors are quite legitimately given an opportunity to market in forum topics and posts. You have to love this guy! Pure entertainment, if anything! Just remember PT Barnum's famous motto! (Google it!) Below, I eventually recommend some alternatives and the suggestion to shop around.

Anyway, the effectiveness of McW's method of instruction is at the very least arguable. McW makes claims but has never really posted anything other than repeatedly mentioning "customer satisfaction," as I recall.

I enjoy the photos posted. McW does hire very lovely young women. Why does he picture them? Especially in Korea! Don't see any other sorts in his ads, but, of course, they are reflective of typical effective language "instructors" in Chiang Mai. Wonder why are they always central in his advertising? In addition, If you read past posts, it is apparent that there might be other incentives for clients (having absolutely nothing to do with women or the instructors ) that are not mentioned by him.

Ask him about his method of instruction and the teachers' qualifications to teach, if you are interested. He will probably say, basically, as he has said many, many, many times that you should come by, sit in, get to know us, et cetera.

About marketing, I took another look at his photos. I have some questions about them, and McW has always been willing to ask people to stop by, try the school out, et cetera. With such attractive instructors, who wouldn't !!

One recurrent claim that has always interested me is " *UNLIMITED* [his emphasis, not mine] STAY IN THAILAND FREE ED VISA. " Now, who might that appeal to and what are the specifics of this promise? How is it repotted, confirmed and regulated? And with whom at the Department of Immigration? If you advertise here, McW, wouldn't it be appropriate to detail this benefit?

Looking at his promotional photos, one other thing caught my eye. The top photo. At the resolution normally available, it looks a bit like a Thai health instructor showing young adolescent students how to use a condom. The banana demonstration is commonly known. He might want to consider using another photo.

All that said, I am still hopeful that he succeeds in starting up his dance school, the most recent enterprise he has advertised in Chiang Mai. Check out the video he provided on TV !!! Awesomely talented dancer!! And maybe some of his instructors could use some overtime!

Oh yes! Alternatives! There are many in Chiang Mai, and it is true that one size does not fit all. Try a range of them. Try the AUA or the YMCA. Yes, and there are a plethora of private schools, some offering the tantalizing prospect of an "easy" Ed visa. Other posters will have recommendations. For newcomers who are legitimately interested in learning Thai, you should have lots of questions to ask !!

So much for the so called alternatives, AUA is so crap their coursework is 40 years old! YMCA is not at all better and you'll find that classes never start or stop on time and repeat things you've learned already further wasting your time. So you waste your time writing all this nonsense and finally you have nothing valid to add. Chances are you don't even speak Thai to have a review of his school. I do and I can tell you their coursework is better than any other language school in CM and that includes the universities CM and Payap who's courses are also crap.

• Like 2

I have been in Thailand for many many years, and stopped "learning" Thai as it was enough to get by.

I have since been attending classes at Walen with Goy as the teacher and must say I was intimidated at first by the learning method. I mean, the entire work book is in Thai!! How scary is that!. But after a week and a bit of classes, 2 hours a day, I find I am able to read licence plates, the back of police trucks, and items on a menu. And each time I do, I am shocked that I am able to do it. Its really cool. Like when someone starts fishing for the first time, and they have the first few bites. So exciting to see it really happening. Me and a mate go for 2 hours every day and at the end of the lesson we are tired, but it really goes by fast. Its also quite a bit of fun. No regrets at all about going to Walen, only pleasant surprises.

And what is your cost of your 2 hour session each day ? Has he spoken to you yet about his school of investing yet?

• Like 1

If you want to know the cost, maybe you should drop in and enquire. Its just me and a mate doing it, so semi private. Not cheap, but we feel its worth it as we can take as much time as we like if we are struggling with something. I have never met the owner, so do not know what you are on about with an investing school. I am also confused with the replies of some people here..blink.png

you sure you dont work for him.To tell a member to call in and see them sounds just like WAlen would say.ALl I want is the price surely you can tell me . Thanks.

If you want to know the cost, maybe you should drop in and enquire. Its just me and a mate doing it, so semi private. Not cheap, but we feel its worth it as we can take as much time as we like if we are struggling with something. I have never met the owner, so do not know what you are on about with an investing school. I am also confused with the replies of some people here..blink.png

you sure you dont work for him.To tell a member to call in and see them sounds just like WAlen would say.ALl I want is the price surely you can tell me . Thanks.

Why can't some people look for themselves ?

It is just soooo easy to find out http://www.thaiwalen.com/en/Thai_Language_prices

I think the problem people seem to have is not his business or when he updates changes, it is the self promotion of unrelated things, like taking his staff to Korea. What does that have to do with his original post?

But besides that, I too agree that the amount of negative comments of his success are just jelousy. I wouldn't use his services but I do wish him great success because it seems that his model seems to market well.

I am just old fashioned but I feel that the criteria for success for a school should not be ecomonic or popularity but actuall progress on the subjects being taught.

As a business man he does seem to do well.So give him a break.

As for competition, there really aren' that many places that offer anything better. Seems like most systems in place are still not implimenting more modern approaches to language learning.

Mac, where is the curve? Can you Google Map it for me?

It is actually called @ Curve

It is a new little 2 story strip mall type of place.

Has a KFC, Watsons, etc.

Right on Chang Klan Road

215/2 Chang Klan Road

Sorry don't have a map but it is just a little ways after the stop light at the intersection

of Lanna Palace ( Intersection of Chang Klan & Ragang Road )

Go thru the intersection heading away from Pantip/Shangrila etc. & about 200m you will see a large 7/11 on your left

That is where you turn left into the parking

Edited by mania

I think the CMU Language Institute also has an office/school there. It's quite difficult to park a car around this area during peak hours during the week because of parking restrictions. I imagine the small parking area fills quickly.

Edited by Loaded

I think the CMU Language Institute also has an office/school there. It's quite difficult to park a car around this area during peak hours during the week because of parking restrictions. I imagine the small parking area fills quickly.

The front does fill but they have a guard at the opening & the back entrance

They actually do have quite a bit of parking for such a small mall. Also if on a scooter

no problem for sure.

The only parking problem there is really when they allow the lot to become

a market at times. More of a exhibition food stalls/special events type of thing than a classic market.

One thing is I guess to make rent they have allowed a lot of sidewalk vendors

to the point that all the space in front of the stores is pretty full. They are everyday

• Like 1

So you could not tell me the cost as you want e to go there and ask .Why cant you just tell me ? easy question .

I could tell you, but I don't want to. Its my right to not share what I paid for semi private lessons on a public forum. No need to get your panties up in a bunch. Go ahead and believe that I "work" for "him" if you want to. But the truth is I have never met him, and am only a student. I make a very good living working outside of Thailand for the oil and gas industry.

Once again, confused why you have hostility towards him or the school.

I have not hostility towards him or the school , I tried to talk to someone at the school and askd them and they just told me the same , come down and talk to us . I just want to know costs that is all.So if I offended you in any way I am sorry . I also make a good living and am not jealous of anybody making money . I am in construction of villages ..

I am just old fashioned but I feel that the criteria for success for a school should not be ecomonic or popularity but actuall progress on the subjects being taught.

I can assure you that is you attend lesson at Walen you will make good progress very quickly. We have a lot of happy customers and that is the reason why we keep opening new schools.

Give the guy a break. I too find him annoying as hell but you must admit that he does know how to market his business.

Congratulations on your new store. You do seem aggressive in your expansions.

Don't saturate the market. Perhaps McWalen is going to start shops in Korea.

I wonder if you added the Mc to the name to keep link yourself with the fast food of education.

Going by the comments above it may be that it's a 'burger' of a course, or just a 'course burger' (bun intended)!

I have just realised that non Brits might not get the ‘burger’ connection. But as this is a family Forum I think it would be wrong to elucidate!

Edited by scottishjohn

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." (Oscar Wilde's maxim on marketing) wink.png

Walen got a lot of bashing on this forum that's for sure. Possibly most abused school in Thailand. Still we get a lot of support from students giving us their business so those who dislike us so much haven't achieved their goal. Another interesting thing is that we have a very high retention rate and many students stay with us for years. They cannot all be that unhappy is they continue to support us, can they?

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." (Oscar Wilde's maxim on marketing) wink.png

Walen got a lot of bashing on this forum that's for sure. Possibly most abused school in Thailand. Still we get a lot of support from students giving us their business so those who dislike us so much haven't achieved their goal. Another interesting thing is that we have a very high retention rate and many students stay with us for years. They cannot all be that unhappy is they continue to support us, can they?

If the visa's flow then there will be support and business. Not being derogatory to your selves but come on, my eyes are open.