Is there really buried TREASURE on Doi Suthep Mountain?

puukao

ORANG37, I like your patter:

"The gold of Doi Suthep may be guarded by other magical forces as well, as those of you who know the oral tradition story of how the Mon Queen Camadevi, of Haripunchai (circa 8th. CE), used menstrual-blood magic to render King Viranga (of the Lavo), unable to throw his spear from the top of the mountain into Haripunchai (what is now Lamphun); a task, at which, if he had succeeded, Queen C. would have "married" him."

But how long must one live in CM to not only learn all this, but believe it too?

The water buffalo, I would not sacrifice.

Culturally speaking, I prefer him standing in a rice field

With one of those white birds riding his back

Egrets

The beauty of the live water buffalo with the white bird is

The real treasure of Thailand

Edited by OldChinaHam
  • Like 1

I notice the ad "Top 10 Metal Detectors". Classic. Anyhow, it might be true that there are demons 5,000 feet below wat doi suthep. If you want to bring them to the surface, ring bells 4,8, 9 and 3 on the next full moon. Of course, you must have passed the first test exactly 87 hours before.....eat 109 bowls of tom yum soup at the shop behind the sleeping buddah. Luckily for us, the demons speak English and Thai, and can be bribed via mango/banana shakes.

I believe I found some important coins/clues on the whereabouts of the treasure...

pictures to follow...

But how long must one live in CM to not only learn all this, but believe it too?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun OldChinaHam,

Well, I think "mere learning," is just a matter of being interested, motivated, and reading, visiting Wats, and festivals, being curious, perhaps having the good fortune to seek out, or, by serendipity, make friends with educated Thais, and the few farangs, who have a sense of Lanna's ethnography, folklore, and cultural history, and, ask questions, and listen to what they have to say.

To "believe" ? That is a metaphysical question ! How long did it take Werner Heisenberg to reach the conclusion that "atoms are not things" ? Was that a statement of "belief," or "dis-belief" ?

Perhaps it is apropos to recall the words of Giordano Bruno:

“The beginning, middle, and end of the birth, growth, and perfection of whatever we behold is from contraries, by contraries, and to contraries; and whatever contrariety is, there is action and reaction, there is motion, diversity, multitude, and order, there are degrees, succession and vicissitude.”

Giordano Bruno, Dominican Friar, cosmologist, mathematician, philosopher, jailed for eight years at age forty-four by the Holy Inquisition; burned at the stake for heresy on February 17, 1600. When sentenced, he said to his Inquisitors: “Perhaps you pronounce this sentence against me with greater fear than I receive it.”

The macrocosmic universe of collective archetypal myth recursively embodied in the individual's microcosm of (from a western cultural point of view) an "unconscious," experienced through a glass darkly in dreams, in waking fantasies, in slips of the tongue, in catching ourselves in the act of selective mis-perceptions of what the eyes see, and the ears hear ...

What is "belief" except a poor orphan, dying of winter-cold, outside a magnificent mansion brilliantly lit with candle-light, inside which elegant guests, in their richest finery, dine on rich foods, to the sounds of exquisite music ?

Of course I speak of what I don't know, and can only dimly relate, from the indirect communication with the Orangutan soul and mind within me, and, as I dismally mis-understand it, that is, itself, a subjective description by Him of the teachings of the great spiritual teacher Ur Orang of the exoteric aspects of "The Path of Slack:" that exoteric content being, of course, a metaphor, for the esoteric direct inner experience of certain mental states, which cannot be described, in language, at all, except by paradoxical conundrums of the form: "no peel, no banana."

But, I agree with you: to sense, for a moment, the beauty of white-bird on water-buffalo: that is more than enough.

~o:37;

Edited by orang37
  • Like 1

ORANG37: "make friends with educated Thais"

Yes, I do agree.

I would enjoy just listening to educated Thais talk about interesting Thai or general topics, anytime.

I will try to search out good opportunities that can afford this.

But one major hurdle for me is my lack of proficiency in Thai.

I am afraid my Thai will never be up to the challenge of discussing topics of interest to me at the level of interest to me, in Thai. English would not be a problem, but what real hope might there be for that.

Even in Chinese, it is always possible to reach a level where I finally somewhat hit a language barrier. Just try listening to a lecture in Anthropology in Chinese at university, for example.

But yes, I look forward to some mind stimulating, scintillating talk with Thais, the sooner the better

Preferably at the university

Preferably an interesting topic

To me, that would really be worth a treasure,

I am getting too old to believe I can take other treasures with me when I kick the bucket

I assume being "spied on by the locals" who were to lazy to do the work would quickly but a rock to his noggin had he come

up with a treasure-----figured id try to get this comment in before its deleted or im accused of being the troll---feed me seymour!!!

as this situation of course bears NO truth to it at all in se asia......wai2.gif

I used to live in the Philippines in the area where general Yamashita retreated from the Yanks and supposedly tried to bring his treasure with him, but as his soldiers disappeared along the way, his treasure shrank and the valley they used has yielded a few treasures and many holes in the landscape that exist today and people are still looking and digging to this day.

This is not rumor, this is documented history.

When I was working in the Phillipines I had an Aussie mate ,an experienced miner,who was digging away on land near San Fernando ,La Union, not far from Bagio. He never came up with anything and was seriously spied on by the locals. He had loads of maps/documents and recorded the whole project for afuture book. I guess people will continue to keep looking, miners/treasure seekers have it in their DNA

The one 4 legged thai khwai?...winnie?...i thought was 2 legged...also thinking a'la indiana jones stealing the gold skull scenario!!!

The treasure of Doi Suthep is guarded by the three ex-demons, Pu Sae, and Ya Sae, and their son, Sudeva Rishi, vampires, who were converted by The Buddha (it required two personal interventions by The Buddha to finally get them on the "right path").

June 27th., this year, at Wat Doi Kham, the annual ceremony of ritual appeasement of Pu Sae, and Ya Sae, took place as usual. According to an informant of mine, as recently as twenty years ago a water-buffalo was still sacrificed during this ceremony (if you have direct knowledge of this, or know the last date of an actual sacrifice, please PM me).

image.jpg

To the left of the stairs leading up to the main entrance to the central shrine area of Wat Prathat Doi Suthep, is, in a white-plastered recessed enclosure, a figure that most Thais would identify as Lu See (Sanskrit ancient root rsi => rishi => Ru See or Lu See; in Hinduism Agasthya Muni), the archetype of the hermit-yogi; in the Theravadan tradition considered the "guru" of Siddhartha the Renunciate Yogi during his ascetic period prior to his "realization of the middle way," final meditation and enlightenment (mahasamadhi, paranibbana), and his becoming "Gautama the Buddha."

This figure of Lu See, is quite interesting, iconographically, distinguished by, imho, very Chinese-looking eyes, and a pencil-thin mustachio, and, to my eyes, the absence of other typical visual "markers" of the "classical" Thai Lu See. If it is possible that this figure of Lu See represents the archaic, semi-legendary, Rishi Sudeva: that's very interesting, but to suggest that is pure speculation, at this point, on my part.

Premchit and Dore, in their (1992) long-out-of-print work on Lanna, hypothesize that Pu Sae, and Ya Sae, are figurative emblems of a pre-Thai population of the mountain area by a migrant group from what is now Vietnam. http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/11356382?q&versionId=13318263

The gold of Doi Suthep may be guarded by other magical forces as well, as those of you who know the oral tradition story of how the Mon Queen Camadevi, of Haripunchai (circa 8th. CE), used menstrual-blood magic to render King Viranga (of the Lavo), unable to throw his spear from the top of the mountain into Haripunchai (what is now Lamphun); a task, at which, if he had succeeded, Queen C. would have "married" him.

With Viranga's third throw, in rage, straight up in the air, falling back down and killing him, thus were removed in one stab, both King Viranga's hopeless obsession with "marrying" Queen Camadevi, and the problem of the Mon of Haripunchai in finally subjugating the Lavo.

I wouldn't go looking for that gold, unless you had a lot of khwai to sacrifice, although it is tempting to speculate if the sacrifice of some of the farang khwai grazing on ThaiVisa might be more potent, magically, per meat-package-sans-brains-unit sacrificed, than one four-legged Thai khwai.

~o:37;

I wonder if this has anything to do with the story?

http://ww.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/652372-400-year-old-ornaments-found-in-chiang-rai/?utm_source=newsletter-20130709-1518&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

I suspect that the long and sometimes turbulent history of what is now northern Thailand has resulted in a few small stashes of treasure buried here and there, and some of them may still be out there. However any maps or memories of them are long gone, and finding treasure by randomly digging in Doi Suthep is a longshot.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the story?

http://ww.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/652372-400-year-old-ornaments-found-in-chiang-rai/?utm_source=newsletter-20130709-1518&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

I suspect that the long and sometimes turbulent history of what is now northern Thailand has resulted in a few small stashes of treasure buried here and there, and some of them may still be out there. However any maps or memories of them are long gone, and finding treasure by randomly digging in Doi Suthep is a longshot.

The server like the treasure can not be found my computer tells me.

BUT

I suspect you are right about hidden treasures from those turbulent times. I believe some one in Chiang Rai just found 400 year old pieces of jewelery and coin.

Edited by hellodolly

Many many many years ago in Ayuddhya, someone stumbled upon an old Chedi that had the gold from a past King inside.

The man who found it was found wondering down the road with a gold sword and had become insane.

Edited by KRS1

.......if there is a treasure it is probably hidden near a temple. During enemy invasions valuable items where often buried to hide them from the invadors.

I can just see now thousands of people invading the area around Doi Suthep temple with shovels digging holes all over!

I will conduct an archeological dig to only the greatest treasure hunters!!! 400,000 baht, which is a steal!!

note: no guarantees we find anything, no refunds.

un/fortunately, we must conduct a sacrifice first. bring 10 attractive females, dressed only in a bikini. they will dance to Justin bieber music, which should attract the demons protecting the treasure. well, get them extremely mad at least. that music is horrible.

anyhow......remember to sell silver (the commodity that trades on the exchange) now, since when we find the 110 tons of silver coins, prices should fall. it will be the greatest find in the history of CM!!!!

we will get free visa extensions for one year!!!

Edited by puukao

No treasure in Doi S but there appears to be a lot of evidence that during the war (the one that Thailand was not invaded in )the Japanese raided the Chinese Banks ...Shanghai etc and moved all the booty down to Thailand but when the war started going against them they buried it in the jungle near Kanchenaburi....so jump on a bus.... head down there and...start looking..chok dee