Police summoning

Timy

I was recently informed that a person whom I have a legal issue with is going to be summoned to the police station. Now this person is currently not in Thailand (from Germany) and I think he does not own any condo in Thailand.

How are they going to inform him about the summoning?

Edited by Timy

I will keep you posted. However I doubt that this will be any time soon. His local address is an obvious hotel address and I refuse to believe that he will get anything send to his home country. That is why I am a little puzzled. As far as I understand it: When he does not respond to the summoning an arrest warrant will be issued. However if a person simply cannot be summoned due to the fact that the document cannot be delivered, what then?

Save the cash for the lawyer and buy a couple of Changs seems to be a better investment. :D

I highly doubt it. wink.png My case is just a small offense, the police officer was probably checking out his facebook while pretending to forward my report. A German guy kicked my bike while drunk - it fell to the ground and it got taped by security camera. I dont know this dude...it was just a drunk emo rage.

Farang vs Farang in small offense is probably none of their priorities. Anyway, if I know more I post it.

Edited by Timy

I think the law is that a summons or any other legal document can be delivered at the last known address of the recipient. It doesn't have to be physically handed to the recipient as we may expect in many western countries.

The reason being that all Thais must be registered against a house book. It is then the obligation of the house owner to locate the intended recipient.

I suppose the same applies to Falang - the IO have our last notified address (90 day reporting, or arrival card), and that probably suffices under Thai law.

> Gsxrnz

Thank you for your insight. This sounds legit.

> Bunta71

Totally agree of course. I swear I usually dont run to the police because of such a minor offence (it is in fact my firts time I ever report something to Police) however this German was really pretty rude even when confronted with the facts. My bike is pretty new and it is completly messed up on the side now. Anyway...I have been stupid and drunk as well many times.

I got a summons and it is delivered to your home or address registered on file if the address is not real or he is not in Thailand then that pretty much it, unless its murder or something I dont think they will be tracking him down